Spring Practice thread: Report: OT Noah Banks has been cleared to play

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We discussed this last season, but the simple fact is Franks needs to improve his completion percentage. He needs it to be well over 60% (vs. under 60%). If he gets it up to 63-66% his numbers will improve greatly (passing numbers). But again - w/ the new OL who knows what will happen? I think his running numbers blow up this year and if he can improve the completion percentage, he likely gets close to 3000 passing yards.

The OL is a concern, but I really don't see it being a worse situation than last year. I do trust our coaching on that unit, and I think we get another grad transfer for there.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It is exactly what we did and what we will continue doing. I guess Avatar and Fever arent the only stoners on this list.

It just looked better when Harvins ran that four yard crossing route over the middle and always took it for a first down. That was Harvins signature play. (Hint, you are at 4:27 before you see the first time he ran something downfield.)

Of course, these are just the "big plays" and still we run sideways and throw sideways. That is the playbook. Franks is going to keep on doing it because that's what the coach wants.

I think it was 1:02 when you see the first downfield pass. But ... its kinda easy to make the point when you key in on Harvin. Harvin is a guy you feature in your offense and build it around. Of course your going to see a bunch of short stuff with Harvin ... you get him the ball quickly in areas all over the field. Quickly would mean anywhere within in 5 yards beyond and behind the LOS from sideline to sideline, right? And in an offense with Harvin, others getting the ball will diminish a bit too.

But if you clue in on the Coopers, Murphys, Hernandezes and so ons .. you will see downfield plays. Of course, not as much, because once Harvin gets established in the offense, he probably consumes a lot of plays.

So yeah ... the Mullen offense is about creating mismatches with quickness and RPO'ing the D into confusion. It isn't really a downfield offense. Especially with a Harvin.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it was 1:02 when you see the first downfield pass. But ... its kinda easy to make the point when you key in on Harvin. Harvin is a guy you feature in your offense and build it around. Of course your going to see a bunch of short stuff with Harvin ... you get him the ball quickly in areas all over the field. Quickly would mean anywhere within in 5 yards beyond and behind the LOS from sideline to sideline, right? And in an offense with Harvin, others getting the ball will diminish a bit too.

But if you clue in on the Coopers, Murphys, Hernandezes and so ons .. you will see downfield plays. Of course, not as much, because once Harvin gets established in the offense, he probably consumes a lot of plays.

So yeah ... the Mullen offense is about creating mismatches with quickness and RPO'ing the D into confusion. It isn't really a downfield offense. Especially with a Harvin.

It's a pick your poison offense.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
03384d59deea47b8d57b03c7c3aa57a3.jpg

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
one of the reasons i was happy to get mullen was his high percentage rate of getting 1st downs at msu. sounds simple but mcsharkhumper was incredible bad at this. in my mind it was the first step to seeing any form of offense.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mullen is gonna put the guys into the best situations for the team to succeed .

Is this a classic, "trust the coaches" comment?? Or is it "Captain Obvious"?

NO ****! he's going to put them in situations to succeed. But players have to execute. That's pretty much what this conversation the last few pages is about - can Franks improve? can he improve his completion percentage? can he hit the 'down field' passes? I think most coaches - except for Jim "Butters" McElwain put their players in 'the best situation for the team to succeed'. Thanks for participating and adding value to the conversation. SMH

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This tells me he can’t read defenses or anticipate people coming out of breaks. If it’s a quick, one read horizontal play He can get it out lightning quick.

A lot of those I think are when Franks is flushed out of the pocket and finds the wide open guy 10 - 20 yards down the field. He also gets credit for a pass under pressure even though the defender is trailing well behind him and in no position to affect him passing in reality like someone that is throwing from the pocket under pressure.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Interesting chart. I went over to CFB film room to see if there was a more recent one as that only goes through 10 when we were sitting at 6-3 (yes we had only played 9 games through week 10). We had 4 wins after that and I think we all agree that Franks played better late in the season. The argument is not where he's been but where he's going.
And the color coding is a little misleading.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here's some positive info that supports a much improved passing game:

Here is the first 2 years when Alex Smith and Dak Prescott had become the starters under Mullen - the combined stats off all the QBs that played that season:

1st Smith: Passing: 2,551 yards Rushing: 525 yards
2nd Smith: Passing 3,143 yards Rushing: 767 yards

1st Prescott: Passing 3,094 yards Rushing: 956 yards
2nd Prescott: Passing 3,604 yards Rushing: 1,049 yards

1st Franks: Passing 2,744 yards Rushing: 387 yards

A little more passing than Smith's 1st year but less rushing numbers for the QBs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
A little more passing than Smith's 1st year but less rushing numbers for the QBs.
I'm ok with that since we've got one of the better stable of RB's in the entire country. The only area I would like to see Franks improve as a runner is when the sh!t hits the fan in the pocket...there were quite a few times last year where he should have reacted quicker and hauled ass for a gain instead of getting swallowed in the pocket.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The OL is a concern, but I really don't see it being a worse situation than last year. I do trust our coaching on that unit, and I think we get another grad transfer for there.

IMO We will be fine down the stretch. And 2020 should be sweet (OL). Like last year, we may struggle early on. I just hope the OL works hard in the Off Season learning what to do. What kills the young OL is they have to think. DL just have to react.

Another issue in our favor is SC is MUCH improved...They may not know what to do BUT at least they won't be gassed all the time.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm ok with that since we've got one of the better stable of RB's in the entire country. The only area I would like to see Franks improve as a runner is when the sh!t hits the fan in the pocket...there were quite a few times last year where he should have reacted quicker and hauled ass for a gain instead of getting swallowed in the pocket.

I'd like to see this established more early in games. Not so much because of pressure but more so by design.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd like to see this established more early in games. Not so much because of pressure but more so by design.
Franks seemed to run and pass better once he called his own number on some option plays or designed keepers so maybe Mullen will go to it earlier in games next season. We used a lot of sideways passes in the 1st quarter last year but it didn't really seem to fire Franks up like getting hit on a keeper....it's like the Giraffe needs to take a good tumble before he decides to start throwing darts :lol:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Harvin on that counter play was probably the quickest I've ever seen a football player move. I loved that crossing route too because no db could keep up with him after those first two steps. But that counter play was sick. He killed South Carolina with that play in that game where he went for 100 rec and 100 rushing. Harvin is in my top 5 Gators ever.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Is this a classic, "trust the coaches" comment?? Or is it "Captain Obvious"?

NO ****! he's going to put them in situations to succeed. But players have to execute. That's pretty much what this conversation the last few pages is about - can Franks improve? can he improve his completion percentage? can he hit the 'down field' passes? I think most coaches - except for Jim "Butters" McElwain put their players in 'the best situation for the team to succeed'. Thanks for participating and adding value to the conversation. SMH
Its more the capt obvious type.

Folks were talking about the lack of deep throws to Harvin. Harvins skillset was closer to the line of scrimmage. While Frank's has a big arm, his skillset doesnt appear to include downfield passing. I'm sure we'd go downfield more if we had a QB who excelled at it. Frank's can definitely improve at it, but it's never going to be a staple of his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.