Super Bowl LVIII: San Francisco vs. Kansas City

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How about Joey Bosa? What a beast that dude is. He's unblockable and relentlessly chases the QB on every damn throw.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I saw parts of the Tampa Bay win that helped launch their SB run but I don't specifically recall the playcalling by Reid you're referring to. I'm sure he's grown in that area.

It was just an overall approach to the big game. As I said initially last night, it was similar to what we saw from SF last night. Just playing not to lose, going against some of the style that got you to that moment. Five NFC championship games, and only managed one SB appearance. And this was against 5 different teams, so not a case of bad timing running into a dynasty and not being able to get over the hump. The moment was always too big for him. That all changed in 2020.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He is relentless and fast.
Interesting analysis last night (stayed up wayyyyy too late) on how the Chiefs saw something with him and ran the same exact set at him 3-4 times in the second half, all of which extended drives and took advantage of his relentlessness. Not taking anything away from him, but the Chiefs took advantage.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting analysis last night (stayed up wayyyyy too late) on how the Chiefs saw something with him and ran the same exact set at him 3-4 times in the second half, all of which extended drives and took advantage of his relentlessness. Not taking anything away from him, but the Chiefs took advantage.

That's shrewd on Reid's part and not at all uncommon to try and exploit over-pursuit. Helps keep the D honest.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That's shrewd on Reid's part and not at all uncommon to try and exploit over-pursuit. Helps keep the D honest.
Yeah, and it was double smart because if you remember in the first half, the announcers were praising how Bosa didn't always "over crash," sometimes he stayed home and it was flustering everything the Chiefs did. So in second half, Pacheco would line up back-right of Mahomes with the option of him running left while Mahomes rolled right. If Bosa crashed, Mahomes would continue to roll right and either run himself (which he did) or throw (which he also did). If Bosa stayed home, he'd give/pitch the ball to Pacheco.

EDIT: I found this... this guy breaks down the 4th and 1 example of the exact play I'm talking about. On SVP's show last night, they showed how the Chiefs used it several times in second half/OT at critical moments, not just one play. Also showed the play were the Chiefs "figured it out" in the first half.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They should've known something was up when the official called it a whole new game at the OT coin toss.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was a little concerned thinking they would start a whole new OT when the clock ran out in OT. THen realized KC was just taking their time cause it would just be like a quarter change. We watched it all me and the girl child. Mom was there too. We lost the feed on the last drive. I have cbs on my antenna. The kids got it streaming on their phones pretty quick. If my daughter wasnt so invested I probably go to sleep. But I found it the most exciting SB Ive ever watched. Usually dont watch entire games. Mahomes is now Montana level. He is a magician. The old man and staff can coach and adjust. Totally different off and def. in 2nd half. Im interested to hear what Kelce and coach say about that sideline encounter. I enjoyed it but was so wired I stayed up and read till 12:30am.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The team with the best QB won the game. Purdy didn't play bad but he didn't do enough to beat Mahomes and Shanahan didn't trust him enough in the end IMO.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This was the worst Chiefs team Mahomes has won a SB with - they had no business winning it all, really. I think they are going to add some weapons for him in the offseason, and are going to be a better team next year.

He's a guy that's going to hog all the championships like Tom Brady did.
They are going to have some salary cap issues this off-season which will limit what they can add other than the guys they draft. The biggest issue for them will be re-signing Chris Jones. Several other key defensive guys and starters on the o-line are also going to be FA's.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The team with the best QB won the game. Purdy didn't play bad but he didn't do enough to beat Mahomes and Shanahan didn't trust him enough in the end IMO.

You can only hid your quarterbacks lack of physical skills for so long. Shanahan an excellent coach, but he has brought two pea shooters to the Super Bowl. Just think if he had a quarterback that had better than an average NFL arm.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Kyle Shannahan sucks the big one. What a fcvking moron taking the ball first in OT. I don’t know I’ve ever seen such stupidity in the Super Bowl. This is the same dipshyt who in the Falcons/Pats SB several years ago chose to pass the ball with a 25 point lead when 2 first downs achieved by rushing the ball wins the game.

And today, he said it was because, wait for it, the ANALYTICS said to take the ball first on the off chance that each team matched the other in the first two possessions-so his team would then get the ball on the 3rd possession.

What an incompetent fcvking tool! :facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah yeah. The fact is Joey is damn near as good as his brother Nick. Those two dudes are ridiculous.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It was just an overall approach to the big game. As I said initially last night, it was similar to what we saw from SF last night. Just playing not to lose, going against some of the style that got you to that moment. Five NFC championship games, and only managed one SB appearance. And this was against 5 different teams, so not a case of bad timing running into a dynasty and not being able to get over the hump. The moment was always too big for him. That all changed in 2020.
Face it…it’s because Philly sucks out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.