Swamp bar and restaurant being torn down for apartments

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Alchie, that's a sad statement. But I feel what ur saying . ( that's how I feel about south Florida sports) . I'm just being selfish. I'm lucky to get to gville for a game a year, and when I do..... I want to wander around and feel like 30 years ago. When times were good and simpler

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a deeper issue that came out when they built the monstrosity on the NW corner of Univ and 13th. The City has a bunch of left wing dips hits running the town. Gainesville used to be pretty well managed. GRU used to not have the best rates, but they were competitive. What's happened is the same thing that's happened in Detroit, Baltimore, etc. The money isn't there, so ideals and principles get pushed to the side. Thirty years ago, they city would have never let the corner of 13th and Univ to be developed in such a manner. Now, what choice do they have. They continue to mismanage funds and just make god awful decisions. They need the money.

I don't care that the Swamp Restaurant is going away. But those who talk about it's link to Gainesville as a college town are right. Gainesville is changing. It is definitely still rooted in UF, but healthcare and technology sectors are growing. This isn't the quaint town we grew up in while at UF. It's different, and most of us don't like the changes. But it's also the change in society and our culture as well. This town will cater to these kids, and they aren't the same as us.

Maybe it's because I still live here, but I don't miss UF anymore. I used to try to make it to a game whenever possible, but now I don't really bother. I could (and have) made the excuses about A/C, high def, etc, but I really just don't enjoy visiting campus much anymore. Between Fuchs and Machen, they have successfully changed the mindset at UF, and it's not for the better. UF always knew how much it meant to G'ville, but now it feels like there is a sense of entitlement by UF and a lack of respect and appreciation for the town in which it sits.

Gainesville, and Alachua County to an even greater extent, has always had a property tax problem. None of the vast UF land holdings is taxable. You would hope the newer, lucrative development would help bring down the millage rate. Apparently not. Alachua ranks #1 among Florida's largest counties in property taxes.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gainesville, and Alachua County to an even greater extent, has always had a property tax problem. None of the vast UF land holdings is taxable. You would hope the newer, lucrative development would help bring down the millage rate. Apparently not. Alachua ranks #1 among Florida's largest counties in property taxes.
True, but UF offers a ton of economic stimulus to G'ville by being here. I really don't know how you could calculate it to know if it's worth it or not. G'ville is much like Florida is compared to other states. No income taxes in Florida, but we have fees, fees, and more fees. Car registrations, higher taxes on gas, etc. We just get nickel and dimed in a different manner.

G'ville is the same. Look at GRU. Some of the highest rates in the country and it all goes to fund the city. What I don't understand (and maybe someone can chime in) is how UF gets its power, and why are they allowed to not be on the GRU grid, because that would certainly subsidize the city some. And UF does pitch in and pay for some things like the bulk of RTS, However, there is no way that UF really contributes anything near what they are exempted from

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
True, but UF offers a ton of economic stimulus to G'ville by being here. I really don't know how you could calculate it to know if it's worth it or not. G'ville is much like Florida is compared to other states. No income taxes in Florida, but we have fees, fees, and more fees. Car registrations, higher taxes on gas, etc. We just get nickel and dimed in a different manner.

G'ville is the same. Look at GRU. Some of the highest rates in the country and it all goes to fund the city. What I don't understand (and maybe someone can chime in) is how UF gets its power, and why are they allowed to not be on the GRU grid, because that would certainly subsidize the city some. And UF does pitch in and pay for some things like the bulk of RTS, However, there is no way that UF really contributes anything near what they are exempted from
Utilities and Energy Services » Facilities Services » UF » University of Florida

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre expecting the taxes to go down in an area of concentrated democrats?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can call them if you'd like.

According to the Gainesville Sun, UF buys power from Duke Energy, who apparently has a steam and power plant on premise.

GRU loses out on power deal with UF
I wasn't trying to disagree with you. I threw that out there for discussion. It did occur as I was posting that the UF site made no reference to origin.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm willing to partner up with a few other people to get one of those top floor units overlooking Univ. Ave. We can make our own Swamp.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You can call them if you'd like.

According to the Gainesville Sun, UF buys power from Duke Energy, who apparently has a steam and power plant on premise.

GRU loses out on power deal with UF

This is absolutely correct. I moved here to retire thinking it would be a good spot for me and the old stomping grounds. Well my first GRU bill got me to reading. All I can tell you is that if GRU was a finacial institution they would be brought up on usury. The way i hear it is that everytime UF opens up bids for electricity they tell GRU to go FVVK themselves. And on that note GRU as well as the lunacy with which this town is run has me heading for the exits in the next few weeks. As a grad, alum, etc. etc. after living here a bit can honestly say that with out UF, this town is a complete SHYYYTTTTTHOLE

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
This is absolutely correct. I moved here to retire thinking it would be a good spot for me and the old stomping grounds. Well my first GRU bill got me to reading. All I can tell you is that if GRU was a finacial institution they would be brought up on usury. The way i hear it is that everytime UF opens up bids for electricity they tell GRU to go FVVK themselves. And on that note GRU as well as the lunacy with which this town is run has me heading for the exits in the next few weeks. As a grad, alum, etc. etc. after living here a bit can honestly say that with out UF, this town is a complete SHYYYTTTTTHOLE

That is what Gainesville’s leaders don’t understand. They complain about UF and it’s lack of property taxes and not buying local power and try to say UF hurts Gainesville. Those 50,000 students do nothing for the local economy I guess, not to mention faculty and staff. Without UF Gainesville is Lake Butler, or worse. I work in Gainesville but wouldn’t live there. I have a 1400 sq ft condo I rent to students. The property taxes are more than I pay on a 3400 sq ft home on 10 acres outside Gainesville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator