Tebow Calls Out Fans For Booing Team

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
LadyGator74;n90650 said:
Tebow also called out the players prior to giving this specific speech. He noted that there was no leadership, no player who has stepped up in the offense to remind the players to do their jobs on the field, and that the O just has no identity . He agreed with Marcus Spears who proclaimed "Players get coaches fired" which Marcus then proceeded to repeat throughout this discussion and again after Tebow's speech to GatorNation about booing. Tebow' and Spears both praised Muschamp as a D coordinator based on personal knowledge and experience and called him an outstanding coach.

Maybe this isn't exactly booing the players per se, but this segment of the show certainly seemed to be throwing them under the bus a tad. I kept waiting for someone to ask the obvious question, "If there is no leadership on the Gator offense, if the players are not doing their jobs on the field of play, if the fan base is booing so much at games that they require a lecture leveled straight at them on national TV from our former superstar, WHAT IS THE REMEDY?" Spend some air time discussing that.
Good point. I think I would rather be booed that taken to task on national TV.

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n90463 said:
Preach on!

[video=youtube;D-ZMouLeDbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D-ZMouLeDbs[/video]

TT amended his previous comments by saying, "He realizes now, the booing was actually meant for fooley!"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it's actually Foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooley.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I respect TT but in this case he probably should have let the Boo Birds alone. It's obvious that Fanatics don't respond well to criticism. The pack attacks better than our offense.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n90488 said:
I'm not going to move it. He's entitled to his opinion, I just don't agree with it. In fact, I think it's patronizing to the players to make the claim that there should never be booing at college games because they are "kids". These players are adults, not sixth graders - I think they can handle it.

I think paying customers at games in any sport have the right to voice their displeasure at a horrible product put in front of them. Do you share the same disdain for those people that leave early in blowouts? I'm sure you do.

I recently went to a local playhouse to see what I thought was a WC Fields film festival. There were signs all over the place with a rule: No leaving unless between acts. I found out when the show started, to my horror, that I was there on the wrong date. I've never left a Gator game early, I never will, but on that day I realized why people do and why it is totally forgivable.

They had the equivalent of community theatre "bouncers" stationed at the exits - old ladies with librarian looks on their faces. What these people forced me to watch was traumatizing. A musical (I hate musicals), with bad acting (WWE wrestlers are better actors), bad singing, (WWE wrestlers are better singers), and a stupid, insipid story line. I squirmed in my seat like I was being subjected to chinese water torture. When the first act ended I bolted out the door and to the box office to demand a refund, at first, gently, explaining the goof up, then when they refused, more and more caustically and loud enough that I hoped the over-acting, self indulgent, aging housewives and queers on stage could hear my insults. The Missouri game comes to mind when I think of this incident and my anger over it. Like I said, I wouldn't have left that game if I'd been there, but I can understand why people did as well as the boos. They were watching the college football equivalent of bad community theatre.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90473 said:
We're criticizing the coaches, not the players or team in general. He knows this. Then again, he actually played for competent coaches that didn't deserve booing, so perhaps he doesn't.

I don't necessarily condone booing, but understand where the fans are coming from.

This.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Perhaps Tim could tell us how else we can get the attention of an apparently tone deaf UAA? Should we pack the stand and cheer wildly while being embarrassed at home? Will that be enough to effect change in Gainesville?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Booing by anyone older than say.....12, seems pretty stupid to me. Sure, it may make your frustrated inner child feel better but in the end it does absolutely nothing to help the Gators in any way shape or form. I think the powers that be are well aware of people's feelings towards this coach and booing is not going to make things move any quicker, as we have seen. It's bad juju and I don't care what anyone here says, it sure as hell doesn't help recruiting. And before someone posts the predictable, "Our coach and offense are what's hurting recruiting!!!", I realize that. But there are still plenty of good athletes who like UF for UF who can't help but be turned off when they hear those who would be their fans booing their possible future team. Players see their coach as an extension of the team and don't necessarily differentiate where the boos are being directed.

And besides, you look really dooshy doing it.....

Booing-fan.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To boo or not to boo. It's the same "I'm a better fan than you" argument. I wonder if we could start a thread about what "Level" of a booing fan one might be?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
TT was the greatest ambassador UF ever had for its program. He was the face of this team for many years, bringing great recognition and awards. He was the real deal. And he is right. College kids and the program should not hear boos. But "in all kinds of weather" was just a quaint old song we still sing because of tradition and does not mean sh#t. Where is Mr Two Bits when you need him? :raisehand:

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The longer the ugly losing continues the fewer fans will show up at the games to boo. I did boo at Homecoming but I am not going to UGA this year because I just can't witness what I fear is likely to happen. I will watch it on TV and if we win I will be happy. If we play typical mush-dawg ball I will not only be booing at the TV but I will be cussing as well. I appreciate Captain S's point of view and he can take pom-poms and cheer when everyone else is booing. If our AD does not fix this people will eventually become ambivalent and that is far worse than booing. Like it or not that is what we are witnessing.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Heaven forbid these 20 year old "kids" get their feelings hurt... Give me a break... Fans are booing the disaster known as Muschamp!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
George Edmundson: The Two Bits tradition began spontaneously in 1949, when Edmondson was attending the opening game of Florida's football season against The Citadel, a school that he briefly attended before enlisting in the United States Navyduring World War 2.[SUP][2][/SUP] The Gators had lost five of their last six games the previous year and were not expected to do any better. When the fans booed the players and the coach even before the opening kickoff, Edmondson decided to boost their morale by leading them in a cheer about adding up bits (a "bit" is an eighth of a dollar, so eight of them would indeed total one dollar). The Gators won the game, and fans were so enthusiastic about Edmondson's cheer that he returned the next Saturday to lead it again. Eventually, he began leaving his seat to wander throughout the stands of Florida Field, leading fans in different sections in the cheer

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys boo at high school games? I mean, you paid your seven bucks to get in there, amiright? Do the three months between high school graduation and college make all the difference?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91829 said:
George Edmundson: The Two Bits tradition began spontaneously in 1949, when Edmondson was attending the opening game of Florida's football season against The Citadel, a school that he briefly attended before enlisting in the United States Navyduring World War 2.[SUP][2][/SUP] The Gators had lost five of their last six games the previous year and were not expected to do any better. When the fans booed the players and the coach even before the opening kickoff, Edmondson decided to boost their morale by leading them in a cheer about adding up bits (a "bit" is an eighth of a dollar, so eight of them would indeed total one dollar). The Gators won the game, and fans were so enthusiastic about Edmondson's cheer that he returned the next Saturday to lead it again. Eventually, he began leaving his seat to wander throughout the stands of Florida Field, leading fans in different sections in the cheer
So you've proven some points with this story. The fans were unhappy and displayed that unhappiness by booing. Instead of brooding, sulking, finger-wagging, and starting holier-than-thou threads on message boards, Edmonson actually did something about it. The Gators won the game and the fans were happy and stopped booing.

SO, it's safe to say that booing, even though we're told it should NEVER happen, is actually what got us the Mr. 2 Bits cheer in the first place. Without it, we would have never heard of Edmonson and that cheer wouldn't be a part of a beloved tradition today.

Thanks for showing us that booing gets results, PE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator