Tennessee is in shambles; Embarrassing autocorrect on Twitter feed

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Oklahoma hired Bob Stoops himself, who was a successful and young coordinator.

But wait, I have been told countless times that you can't win by hiring a head coach whose experience and so called forte is on the defensive side of the ball. You must hire an offensive coach or offensive coordinator to be your head coach, otherwise you are never going anywhere. I joke of course, but the funny thing about Stoops is that his defenses carried him in his younger years as a head coach then as time went on OU had some of the worst defenses I had ever seen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops was arguably the hottest head coaching prospect in the country when Oklahoma hired him. I'm not sure you could call that a reach.
He was a coordinator.

I was told you cant hire a coordinator ever. it's better to hire a coach with a ****ty record than hiring coordinator. /sarcasm

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But wait, I have been told countless times that you can't win by hiring a head coach whose experience and so called forte is on the defensive side of the ball.
he was very aggressive when he was young at hiring the best offensive coordinator available. pair a Pirate like offense (which I dont like) with a great defense and obviously you win a lot of games.

he basically single-handedly forced the big 12 and a high-flying offenses.

I think later on he became more detached from the defense.

it's natural to not be quite as hungry when you got tens of millions in the bank and you're thinking about retirement.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops learned the importance of scoring underneath the best offensive mind in the game, Spurrier. His brilliance was finding good coordinators and then getting the phuck out of the way.

Muschamp could do neither.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He was a coordinator.

I was told you cant hire a coordinator ever. it's better to hire a coach with a ****ty record than hiring coordinator. /sarcasm

Defensive Coordinators with no HC experience:
Stoops, Muschamp, Zook, Swinney

Former offensive coordinator with HC experience at a lesser program:
Spurrier, McElwain, Frost

Pick you poison. There are very few great coaches. Catching a rising star is hard. There is no reliable formula or pattern.

The good news is that as you type “Jim McElwain” in your google search bar, the top suggested result is “jim mcElwain shark”.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Pick you poison. There are very few great coaches. Catching a rising star is hard. There is no reliable formula or pattern.

The good news is that as you type “Jim McElwain” in your google search bar, the top suggested result is “jim mcElwain shark”.
Good and bad hires come and go. The one constant is Foley have cornered the market on bad.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

When and where was Dabo a DC? I thought he was a WR & TE's coach before becoming the OC

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, if there's ever been a moment where a public figure's reputation and character have been drug through the mud after, while thousands look on in disgust, dredging up fiction and hypotheticals from a time in your career over 20 years ago and accusing you of being complicit in child molestation, which costs you a job...and yet, you're thrilled...this would be it.

Did Tenn have to pay him anything? He signed the contract, right? What a Charlie Foxtrot!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Stoops was arguably the hottest head coaching prospect in the country when Oklahoma hired him. I'm not sure you could call that a reach.
So was Riley when he was recommended for promotion. Maybe Stoops helped build a culture of exciting offensive football (who cares?) but I definitely do not want Tennessee to emulate it.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He was a coordinator.

If I was betting on a coordinator, I would choose a highly sought one who coached under a guy from the other side of the ball. Stoops under Spurrier. Riley under Stoops. I’d also go after someone considered cutting edge instead of the “best at what’s currently accepted”. Neither is foolproof but I feel like you find more well rounded coaches that way and you do not have to worry about whether or not the HC or coordinator was making that system work.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Did Tenn have to pay him anything? He signed the contract, right? What a Charlie Foxtrot!
They are still paying Butch Jones for the next couple of years. My gut says if they actually do this, they get Tee Martin at a discount. It will be beautiful to watch the hero of their one semi-modern national title run out of town on a rail after he fails for 3-4 years.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
UT is the new UK and I really don't see it reversing course as long as we are not terrible and Georgia and Ohio State are solid. They need two of those three recruiting fields to have a chance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They are still paying Butch Jones for the next couple of years. My gut says if they actually do this, they get Tee Martin at a discount. It will be beautiful to watch the hero of their one semi-modern national title run out of town on a rail after he fails for 3-4 years.
Most of them dont particularly like Tee.

They blame him for winning a championship when Peyton couldn't.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UT is the new UK and I really don't see it reversing course as long as we are not terrible and Georgia and Ohio State are solid. They need two of those three recruiting fields to have a chance.
they mostly recruited out of Alabama Georgia and North Carolina in their heyday.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, if there's ever been a moment where a public figure's reputation and character have been drug through the mud after, while thousands look on in disgust, dredging up fiction and hypotheticals from a time in your career over 20 years ago and accusing you of being complicit in child molestation, which costs you a job...and yet, you're thrilled...this would be it.

Engrish so hard....

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Agreed completely. Scariest thing they could go is find a Lincoln Riley (or mimic the Oklahoma success model). Fortunately, they are too stupid to try. Phil is a dinosaur and one of the biggest donors is the Cleveland Browns owner. They also believe they can compete with Bama and Georgia directly. They are delusional.
They won't hire a coach with more than seven teeth.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tee Martin would be worse than Pruitt. Even UT isn’t that dumb.

Or are they? :ugh:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Big difference is UT still spends the 3rd most in the SEC. They find the right coach, he’ll have lots of resources to lean on. Fortunately, Fulmer is running the search. Stand by for another Saban disciple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.