Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The Pods thing would make a lot of sense (except call it divisions or something). Go to 9 conf games. 4 four team "pods", so that's 3 games playing everyone in your pod every year, then you play 1.5 pods each year so that's 9 games. That way you can keep some annual games that are actual rivalries (UF/UGA, AU/Bama, TX/OK, etc) but you would also play everyone a little more often than every other year.

POD 1: UF, UGA, UT, USC
POD 2 TX, OK, Missou, T A&M
POD 3: Bama, AU, ARK, VANDY
POD 4: LSU, Ole Miss, MISS ST, KY

This is what was on the SEC channel which I think suspiciously looks like the SEC floating it out to get reactions using their channel.

E651yM2WYAcwI5W

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is what was on the SEC channel which I think suspiciously looks like the SEC floating it out to get reactions using their channel.

E651yM2WYAcwI5W
There is a lot of smoke there. I suspect the POD winners will play in a division championship, then SEC championship.

Pod C being so weak is probably a bone to ATM.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There is a lot of smoke there. I suspect the POD winners will play in a division championship, then SEC championship.

Im pretty sure they did a minimal appeasement to aTm by not putting them in the same pod as Tejas.

Each pod kinda looks equal based on current team strengths. Each have 2 strong teams and 2 weak teams.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

E651yM2WYAcwI5W
Well if we're going to 16 teams I guess that would work. Not sure I've seen a better way to do it but I'm open to suggestions.

The 9-game SEC schedule means we can drop that extra OOC game, which I didn't like anyway. Three is enough. A tune-up game against a directional school, then a game to keep an uppity in-state sub-rival in its place (UM, USF, UCF, FIU or FAU), and last and always least, the Hated Noles to cap off the season.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

E651yM2WYAcwI5W
Very similar and I just made mine up off the top of my head. I guess 2 teams from each pod vs all of one Pod and half of another wouldn't make a lot of difference and maybe easier scheduling-wise. Either way you see everybody every 2 year. I don't like the idea of not pairing aTm with TX & OK. Screw those whiny biznatches.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the pods are necessary unless they think they will likely expand even further in the future.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the pods are necessary unless they think they will likely expand even further in the future.
It is to make sure we play everyone more often.

And to make another level of playoff $$$$. You dont want Div #1 and #2 to play. You want the "Pod Champions".

I cant wait to see our Pod Runner Up trophies.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

I think the pods are necessary until we do expand further. Personally, Im hoping we get to 20 teams so then we can have a legacy division of the SEC with the original 10.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

I'd expect that most years, LSU and A&M will be pretty competitive. They'd be the pair to beat in C. Then there's UF/UGA, BAM/BARN, OKLA/TEX. Two toughies and two weakies in each pod, seems fair.

So of the eight weakies, which looks most likely to turn toughie at some point?

I see....hmmmmmm.....ZERO likely candidates right now. :shakehead:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'd expect that most years, LSU and A&M will be pretty competitive. They'd be the pair to beat in C. Then there's UF/UGA, BAM/BARN, OKLA/TEX. Two toughies and two weakies in each pod, seems fair.

Ole Miss probably. I guess there's an outside chance that Toothless pulls it together at some point. With Mullinz here, it seems more likely we just keep getting worse keeping it a rivalry, rather than them improving.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess there's an outside chance that Toothless pulls it together at some point.
when toothless was winning, they were getting all their talent from Alabama where both schools were on probation, from Georgia where Georgia was perpetually Mullinz like, from South Carolina where Clemson was on probation and USC was vandy like, from Kintucky, and North Carolina when NC was also Mullinzlike.

it's just going to be hard to get that rolling again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

We or maybe Barn are the weakest of the top eight. We are trending down in talent. Too early to guess what Barn will do. Obviously they are currently sitting on a better class I THINK all the other eight have won a championship since we have.

Able to beat us? Most of the lower eight, not sure that any are likely to beat us.

Our pod is really all that matters to me. I think we are just stuck in #2 forever. Although Douchebag is likely to lose to Kintucky, no one else seems to.

Last edited:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
We or maybe Barn are the weakest of the top eight. We are trending down in talent.
I see us more as mired in the middle of that pack.

Of the eight we're talking about (incl. TX & OU), six finished in the postseason Top 25 last year. We were fourth or fifth out of the eight, depending on if you go by the CFP or AP rankings.

I expect us to hover around that range for the time being. But us remaining competitive is based on my hunch about AR15 becoming a breakout star. If that goes the same way as most of my other hunches, we may struggle with Samford.

tenor.gif

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
If this does come to pass, Id like to see a 3 division format. East, Central, West

East- Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky
Central- Auburn, Alabama, Vanderbilt, LSU, Miss and Miss State
West- Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas

SEC Championship...
Top schools from each division get into a playoff for SEC Championship. The 3 teams get seeded... The top seed takes a week off. Seed 2&3 play a playoff game in Birmingham, the 1st home of the SEC Championship game. The winner plays the next week against the #1 seed in Atlanta. Mo Money Mo Money

Scheduling would be interesting...Unbalanced divisions make it hard, but doable with an 8 or 9 games SEC Schedule. Optimally, it'd be nice to balance out the divisions and add 2 more schools...Say North Carolina, West Virginia or Virginia for the East and maybe a Ok State, Texas Tech or Nebraska for the West...

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
This may be the first bump in the road?:

The Texas State House has weighed in on the fast moving saga, and as of Friday, they had over 30 co-sponsors signed on. Rep. Dustin Burrows announced House Bill 289, requiring “legislative approval before a public senior college or university can change membership in a collegiate athletic conference”.

Burrows added: “Texas lauds some of the finest universities and athletic programs in the nation. Their impact reaches far beyond their superiority in the classroom, distinction in research, and excellence on the field. They play a significant role in the economic development, tourism, and overall prominence of their respective regions. A decision to switch to a different athletic conference affects the opportunity and stability of our publicly-funded universities across the state and must be fully vetted in the most transparent and comprehensive manner possible. That is why I am joining my fellow House Chairmen and Senators Birdwell and Kolkhorst in authoring a bill to require legislative approval before an institution can take such action. The exceptionalism of the great state of Texas must not be left in the hands of a few but is a responsibility to be shared by all.”

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
This may be the first bump in the road?:

The Texas State House has weighed in on the fast moving saga, and as of Friday, they had over 30 co-sponsors signed on. Rep. Dustin Burrows announced House Bill 289, requiring “legislative approval before a public senior college or university can change membership in a collegiate athletic conference”.

Burrows added: “Texas lauds some of the finest universities and athletic programs in the nation. Their impact reaches far beyond their superiority in the classroom, distinction in research, and excellence on the field. They play a significant role in the economic development, tourism, and overall prominence of their respective regions. A decision to switch to a different athletic conference affects the opportunity and stability of our publicly-funded universities across the state and must be fully vetted in the most transparent and comprehensive manner possible. That is why I am joining my fellow House Chairmen and Senators Birdwell and Kolkhorst in authoring a bill to require legislative approval before an institution can take such action. The exceptionalism of the great state of Texas must not be left in the hands of a few but is a responsibility to be shared by all.”
Sounds like they got some old B12 diehards in the Exceptional Texas legislature, including probably some alumni of Baylor, TCU and (like Dustin Burrows, the sponsor of that bill) Texas Tech.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Texas and Okie to SEC will be done in days.

As for Big 12.... how long has it veen in existence? Were they SWC die hards before that.

All have died hard, mostly because of Texass wanting to use their conference to strangle everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.