Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
SOS has weighed in, and it's pretty much right on point with what you would expect. :D

Sometimes, before The Old Ball Coach opens his mouth, I believe he thinks to himself, "Hmm. Now, let's see. :scratchchin: What would 'The Old Ball Coach' have to say about this?" :lol2:

Steve Spurrier on Texas jump to SEC: ‘They can’t win the Big 12 anyway.’

Steve Spurrier is no longer coaching in the SEC, but his words still carry weight in a league he ruled during the 1990s.

Spurrier’s quick lip was at the ready when asked about Texas and Oklahoma pushing to join the nation’s top football conference. The two schools applied this week for SEC membership in 2025.

“I can understand Texas jumping over,” Spurrier said. “They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to … they can’t win the Big 12 anyway.

“I think they’re only won two in the last 30 years or so. What is it?”
Oklahoma’s decision to leave the Big 12 is even more baffling to the Head Ball Coach, winner of six SEC titles during 12 seasons at UF. The Sooners have won six straight Big 12 titles, a run of success even SEC standard-bearer Alabama cannot match within the conference ranks.

“I’m sort of surprised [about] Oklahoma,” Spurrier said. “I just don’t think they’re going to come over to the SEC and win with any regularity the way that they win the Big 12. Their fans might say, ‘Yeah, now we can beat Alabama and LSU and all these dudes.’ It may not happen like that.

“I don’t know. It’s obviously more money.”

What is certain to the 76-year-old Spurrier is the remaining eight members of the Big 12 are the real losers.

“I feel sorry for the other schools, Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, all those guys, because they obviously need those two schools there,” Spurrier said of Texas and Oklahoma. “It (the move to the SEC) looks like it’s going to happen. Maybe it will work out for the best.”

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Brett_McMurphy: SEC Presidents vote unanimously 14-0 to invite Oklahoma & Texas to join SEC. OU & UT’s Board of Regents meet Friday, when they are expected to officially accept invitations to become SEC’s 15th & 16th members

@BruceFeldmanCFB: So this part is now official: The SEC presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to extend invitations to OU and Texas to join the conference effective July 1, 2025 in all sports.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was always just a formality. They always had an open invitation.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is surprising.

Bet that changes and the Big 12 implodes almost immediately. Maybe 2022 but surely by 2023.

Wil Grier came into UF and killed the organization, then went to the Big12 and destroyed the entire conference.....

200w.gif

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Nov. 7, 2020, has been retroactively removed from Bonkers Donker's calendar. 44-28 never happened. "We're sniffing dwag ass." :rolleyes:

Just because Cousin Eddie is a dork with intolerably bad posture doesn't mean this overrated ass clown isn't dripping with California Ghey:

i

Boston Blackie there might as well legally change his name to Al E. Gatorbait. He can pitch it around a little bit but he is soft. NO CHANCE to stop the Mighty Gator win streak from going to...uhh...well, two. BOOK IT! :proud:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.