The 2020 State of the Board discussion thread

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This will be long, proceed at your own risk:

I posted here for a few years as one of the board originals, and several years before that in another forum with many of the same posters. I took a few years off and recently returned. The reason I took those years off was because the board had become incredibly negative. And I’m not talking about the handful of naysayers and worry warts who populate every board, but I’m talking a total domination of negativity and shutting down anything remotely positive. That was during some really crappy years so I realize that sentiment was to be expected, and in hindsight I was probably overly-sensitive and generally pissed about the state of the program, and maybe I didn’t express it all that well. However, I know I wasn’t the only poster who felt this way, and in the years I was gone, occasionally folks would comment to me about how negative and hostile the board had become to any positive or hopeful opinion. When rivals hit you with “Gator fans want to fire Mullen” type bs, and you realize they got it from a Gator board, that’s a problem. One of the last conversations I had before I left was about Marcus Maye. My point was that he was a good player for us, very solid safety, on some really bad UF teams. This opinion was met with some serious backlash about how crappy and horrible, etc Marcus Maye was, worst safety ever, etc. Hindsight says I was right about Maye, judging by his 38 career starts for the Jets and solid play in general at the NFL level. But it could have been any player, coach, administrator or really anything to do with the program. It sucked, we sucked, he sucked, they sucked.

The problem with that mentality is it becomes too tedious to those who just want to post without constantly having to defend UF’s honor. We do that on Twitter or rival message boards. What’s the fun in constantly protecting and defending Florida on the home board? That does not mean we should expect everyone to “nutswing” and “sunshine pump” constantly in favor of UF. All healthy boards have their share of “grumpy/pissy/negative” types, but when the balance swings so far in that direction, it becomes frustrating and exhausting, and why keep returning to a place that leaves you feeling that way?

I’m not asking for anyone to change for me, I’m just sharing my experience. I decided to return because I respect so many of the posters here, I respect Ox, and I enjoy the back and forth, and I’ve missed it. I’ve matured over the years so maybe I’ll better handle all the “I’m a Gator fan but I hate all things Gator” posters.

I’ve enjoyed my few weeks back and I really look forward to all of us being able to comment on recent and current Gator athletics news. I don’t have any recommendations for technical changes, it took me some time to get readjusted to the logistics of the board, but I’ve pretty much got it down now.

Happy posting, everyone.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You spelled Bored wrong in the title of this thread. Bored is how I feel usually after reading two pages of what was interesting but then it devolves into you're just a pumper and delusional vs. the whole program is in the crapper..........
Since you're above it all, perhaps you could contribute and try and steer the thread back to where you think it should be?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@The Original DC has always been a favorite poster of mine for a long time. Also why I missed him not being around, especially during spring practices and giving the scoop when they were closed practices w/ Muschump. Welcome back DC.

As for your post

But it could have been any player, coach, administrator or really anything to do with the program. It sucked, we sucked, he sucked, they sucked.
We did, he did and they did. It was awful and even worse that fans still supported it till the bitter end.

but when the balance swings so far in that direction, it becomes frustrating and exhausting, and why keep returning to a place that leaves you feeling that way?
When it comes that way it's because something needed to change and the greatest AD of all time wasn't doing it.

“I’m a Gator fan but I hate all things Gator”
Don't agree with this mind set at all. I don't know any poster here who is that way.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I made it as far as page five then had to move ahead in the action due to network time constraints. Let's just cut to the chase and do a quick check of the OP's sincerity in starting this "suggestion box" thread. This ought to be fun.

Hey @oxrageous, after 12 pages of discussion, which suggestions are being implemented, or at least considered?

giggle.gif

My sources tell me that the funny button is a done deal. @oxrageous is a silent commit on that.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
  • The board is excellent, always has been.
  • Ignore button...I've never used it, everyone deserves to be heard.
  • I'd rather have an a-hole button than a funny button. It would be used more.
  • What makes this board strong is the mods give you a LOT of rope, if you hang yourself with a ban, you likely deserve it (been there, done that).
  • It would be nice to have a few more other teamers around here to beat up on, there have been a few in the past who did make decent contributions without being totally arrogant pricks.
  • Again, nobody here I wouldn't buy and drink a brew with.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
If GatorChatter was an actual sports bar, it would be the type of place that checks you for knives at the door.
And if you don't have one, they give you one.
:rimshot:

OK, not quite like that. Like any bar, it has its standards. Some places won't even let you in without a tie. Here it takes a lot for the bouncers to throw you out. It takes even more for the owner to never let you back in.

I enjoy a balanced argument. What are the positives and the negatives - football, basketball, politics, etc. Around here there is balance sometimes, but often the extremes are in either direction and at that point you have to find your own balance.

Quite simply, I learn a lot here. I am entertained by a lot of things here. I read far more than I post (barring memes that seem to fit the atmosphere.) I've learned that for some posters I will go out of my way to read, and some not. There are times when I want to say "You've made your point. Now shut up!"

I think Ox has the rules pretty close to correct. You can't regulate every word on here - sometimes that might be up to the community to enforce. Sometimes just a simple "cool it" is all it takes when things start getting a little too personal. True trolls get shown to the door.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know what you mean, but honestly I think we have very few true "dumpers" on this board. Mostly, we have a lot of realists, who occasionally get frustrated with aspects of the programs. This is the perfect place to vent about it.
You dont have a smart phone man? Surely you can check on breaks occasionally during the day and post a little.

you seem smarter than the rest of us and gainfully employed. we need you posting man.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From the "funny button and lifetime membership" thread:

If we get 10 new members willing to help pay the utility bills around here, I will self ban for a month.

Ox can randomly pick from all those that pay for a membership, and the winner gets to pick my avatar and the saying below the avatar for a month, the month after I return from the self ban.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
there should just be like or dislike, people who use the other button
From the "funny button and lifetime membership" thread:

If we get 10 new members willing to help pay the utility bills around here, I will self ban for a month.

Ox can randomly pick from all those that pay for a membership, and the winner gets to pick my avatar and the saying below the avatar for a month, the month after I return from the self ban.

I might purchase a lifetime membership for this......

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
there should just be like or dislike, people who use the other button

I might purchase a lifetime membership for this......
I tell you what, you can have a special Dougie deal. you get an extra month of Avatar and saying below the Avatar regardless.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I made it as far as page five then had to move ahead in the action due to network time constraints. Let's just cut to the chase and do a quick check of the OP's sincerity in starting this "suggestion box" thread. This ought to be fun.

Hey @oxrageous, after 12 pages of discussion, which suggestions are being implemented, or at least considered?

giggle.gif

You thought he was serious?!?!?!?!? Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I would like to see more traffic on the politics forum. I think the board is pretty even handed with moderation and bans and such.

I have moderated several boards over the last 20 years, and this is the only board I have ever sent money to support. I think @oxrageous and I are related or maybe even brothers in another life. He can give it and he can take it as good as any. Knows when to use the ban hammer, which is sparingly, and for the good of the board.

I don't really want a funny button, but if I complain about it, he won't ever agree to have one. That's what I refer to when I say we are brothers in another life. I know what his reaction is going to be most of the time because it is so much like me.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
My friend, you could click the Donate button and get the funny button for everyone right now.

My money run out already???

I was going to do the lifetime thing here. I will look to see if I still have your address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.