The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The guy in the video has a different definition of a bug out gun than I do.

With a .22 rifle I can defend myself within reason, shoot small game, remain very quiet, and take a lot of ammo. Each round may not have a lot of stopping power but you can put a lot of accurate rounds down range very quickly and at much greater range than a shotgun or pistol.

The takedown versions easily fit in a backpack. You’re not going to do battle against trained soldiers with tactical rifles and body armor with one but it would be very handy for a lot of situations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just looking at some dummy rounds for practicing speed loading and came across this video....:lol2:

Those are fine, but spend time doing ready up drills, and just manipulating the pump. Pump it hard and fully. Treat it like your girlfriend, not your wife. The really slick guys who get the fastest in competitions are the ones most likely to short stroke when the adrenaline makes their hands feel like mittens.

You'd have to search long and far to find a gunfight which called for reloading the shotgun. You learn to do it anyway, and you keep the tube loaded. If you arent shooting then you are feeding the tube, but NEEDING the skill is unlikely.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Talking in PMs with someone, wanted to continue the thing here. Even people woth a significant amount of range time often dont understand how small the pattern of a shotgun at across-the-room dostance truly is. This is 12 feet:

The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - The Box O' Truth
20-4.jpg

I wish they had put a quarter with it or some other scale. However, it is just a few inches at 12 feet, certainly not a giant cone at that distance.

Find your front sight, bead whatever. I really like fiberoptics that mount on a shotgun or rib.

As for pistol grip shotguns and shooting from the hip, watch some competition shooting on youtube. Hundredths of second often determine the winner. See anyone shooting from the hip? Never.

There is a reason for that.

You should find that front bead too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As for short stroking, look at this at 2:30 or so:

Now this is a race gun shooting AA (superlight) loads no doubt, but even a guy who shoots all day every day short-stroked it under stress.

And his targets aren't shooting back at him.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
As for short stroking, look at this at 2:30 or so:

No this is a race gun shooting AA (superlight) loads no doubt, but even a guy who shoots all day every day, and he short stroked it under stress.

One of the best shots out there but like you said softer loads, softer shoulders or firing from the hip or without a firm shoulder/cheek weld and it increases the chances of a malfunction....I've had it happen while goofing off hip firing my 870 with double00....if you're not working with the recoil on a pump gun it IS going to happen.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So what is the best handgun load?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The guy in the video has a different definition of a bug out gun than I do.

With a .22 rifle I can defend myself within reason, shoot small game, remain very quiet, and take a lot of ammo. Each round may not have a lot of stopping power but you can put a lot of accurate rounds down range very quickly and at much greater range than a shotgun or pistol.

The takedown versions easily fit in a backpack. You’re not going to do battle against trained soldiers with tactical rifles and body armor with one but it would be very handy for a lot of situations.
I have an AR-7 in my backpack... have had it for years. If I didn't have what you describe yet, I'd still probably get the AR-7 with the Ruger takedown version of the 10/22 a close second... 10/22's are one of my favorite firearms period.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have an AR-7 in my backpack... have had it for years. If I didn't have what you describe yet, I'd still probably get the AR-7 with the Ruger takedown version of the 10/22 a close second... 10/22's are one of my favorite firearms period.
I love how that Henry AR-7 stows inside the stock. Might have to get one.
iu

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I love how that Henry AR-7 stows inside the stock. Might have to get one.
iu
It's hard to beat just to have in a backpack... 10/22 would be faster to put together, but this is and always will be a fantastic backpack rifle.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to beat just to have in a backpack... 10/22 would be faster to put together, but this is and always will be a fantastic backpack rifle.
What do you like about the AR7 over the Ruger takedown? Seems like the Ruger is faster to put together, you could keep a sight mounted on it, and the rotary magazine looks pretty handy as well.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
What do you like about the AR7 over the Ruger takedown? Seems like the Ruger is faster to put together, you could keep a sight mounted on it, and the rotary magazine looks pretty handy as well.
Had it been available back then, I probably would've bought the takedown 10/22, but it just came out a couple of years ago... i'm a HUGE fan of 10/22s. The AR-7 is a bit clunky to shoulder as well, but you have to remember it's original purpose... a survival rifle for pilots that is compact, in a waterproof case, and floats for a couple of minutes. The AR-7 is just to have as a pure backpack rifle if needed, not to defend myself in any way, so, in that context, you can't beat the AR-7. Additionally, I already have a 10/22 for fun/turtles, but again, if I had neither, I would probably buy the takedown 10/22.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Just looking at some dummy rounds for practicing speed loading and came across this video....:lol2:

Dummy rounds are also good for immediate action drills; especially w/ semi-autos. The 9 MM, 40 cal., etc ones made of plastic are pretty cheap and work well. They have the added benefit of letting you know if you are anticipating the round going off. If you really want them to be a surprise, have someone else load you mags.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The first part of this video perfectly describes my feeling concerning the AR7 and the takedown Ruger 10/22

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The first part of this video perfectly describes my feeling concerning the AR7 and the takedown Ruger 10/22

I only like the AR-7/10/22 takedown for IN MY BAG. the day I need my bag and am carrying, what fuktard is walking around with his weapon broke down?

You know my bag is an eberlestock, so why If he’s going to carry a regular, full length 10/22 wouldn’t he just carry an AR platform in an eberlestock?

I don’t disagree with what they are saying, but I am saying I can put an AR-7 in ANY bag of ANY size, they can’t.

PS I’m not arguing with you or them. What I’m saying is that to keep a bag handy, in my truck, that’ll get me squirrels and rabbits, I’m not packing a full lengthe anything. And if I had to use one on a human, I’m here to tell ya that I’ll dome anyone with all 10 rounds in that 10/22 rotary magazine inside of 40 yards, and in full disclosure, it will easily kill a deer with a single shot at up to 10-15 yards... at night.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't argue with those guys, they are navy frigging seals.

Im a big fan of the 10/22. Have several. They seem to grow.

I'm not so much a fan of the AR7. I haven't found one yet that was particularly accurate. And some haven't been reliable, although my memory is fuzzy at this point and I don't remember which brand of AR7. Probably Charter, back in the day.

BTW, instead of a takedown 10/22, I like a gnurled knob that allows the whole 10/22 action to separate from the stock. It is more rigid and more likely to remain zeroed when it is remounted to the stock that way vs a takedown that separates the receiver and barrel.

As for why ak vs 10/22, bc you can't carry 500 ak rounds in your cargo pocket or 100 rounds in the palm of your hand. And bc you are Mericun therefore don't carry AKs, @Detroitgator ya damn Russian colluder.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Don't argue with those guys, they are navy fggging seals.

Im a big fan of the 10/22. Have several. They seem to grow.

I'm not so much a fan of the AR7. I haven't found one yet that was particularly accurate. And some haven't been reliable, although my memory is fuzzy at this point and I don't remember which brand of AR7.

BTW, instead of a takedown 10/22, I like a gnurled knob that allows the whole 10/22 action to separate from the stock. It is more rigid and more likely to remain zeroed when it is remounted to the stock that way vs a takedown that separates the receiver and barrel.

As for why ak vs 10/22, bc you can't carry 500 ak rounds in your cargo pocket or 100 rounds in the palm of your hand. And bc you are Mericun therefore don't carry AKs.
Your 10/22 is the kind I was talking about, not the one in their video. I agree with you on the AR-7, but like I said to Zambo, there was no 10/22 that broke down until the last 10 years... I remember when yours came out and thinking, “damn it!” ;)

Edit: this is the one I would’ve bought, not the AR-7like one...
DA4120A5-BF7B-4B79-83FF-DE40851BF0CE.jpeg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, of course nobody is going to walk around hunting or in a survival situation with the rifle broken down in the bag. :lol: The great thing about breaking it down is no only is it easy to store and carry so you have it, but its inconspicuous if you have to move around with it. If anything I wish the bag that it comes in didn't look so "tacticool." I'd rather it just looked like your average camelbak.

Seems the most import part of constructing any rifle that breaks down is to make sure the sights are both part of the barrel assembly. Any weapon that separates the sights from the barrel during disassembly is just asking for accuracy issues IMO.

I shot my buddy's takedown Ruger and it was plenty accurate for what it is. Also there is no complicated folding and tightening process, its just two pieces that lock together with a quarter turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.