Status
Not open for further replies.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think taking 2-3 years off is my plan regardless.

I think there'd be more on-board you taking that off than were hoping we landed Kelly. In Fact, I think Stricklin-Fuchs would send a plane for ya, along with a Kamikaze pilot.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Thank Willis.

Not sure what in Norvell's past would boot him from the search. If we went after Kelly and all his baggage, why not Norvell?? Smokescreen maybe?

Yeah I'm wondering what about his past that people keep alluding to. What did he do? Bang Stricklin's wife or something

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's Sunday morning, Nov. 26, and there are a ton of you ready to throw in the towel and condemn UF for having screwed the search. To which I say: Why?

Let me please remind you of a few facts:
  • Chip Kelly was at once the wild card and fly in the ointment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The one obvious candidate with whom we didn't need to wait out the regular season to pursue a commitment. You have to make a play for a guy like that.
  • If you're second-guessing the initiative or the aggressiveness with which we went about it -- and, yes, Nevada, we were on Kelly before UCLA fired Mora -- then you're either playing mind games or you never really wanted the guy. You give it all you can, including money, and walk away knowing you did your best.
  • Frost is almost the equal gamble given the logical interest from his alma mater. Once again it's a situation where Florida makes more sense but intangibles could put us on the short end. As of this moment, we have no idea what's been said or if contract talk has even taken place. It's way premature to judge what we did or how went about it. Did we get a late start? Of course we did. We chased Kelly for 10-14 days.
  • Contrary to perception, the race to name a coach isn't over, not by any stretch. It's merely the warm-up lap. If you're chasing an incumbent, all you or anyone else has done till now is put out feelers and follow up on them. We've likely been in contact with a ton of people, some of whom may surprise.
  • I'm personally impressed with Norvell and I wouldn't mind a look-see at Fuentes. After that, based on what I've read, we probably fall into a lower tier that includes Mullen, Strong and Taggart due to state of Florida ties. Not my personal choices, but at that point the field is thin, which is also not our fault either. It's always been about fate -- timing and availability.
Four tiers, the top two laden with uncertainty due to factors out of our control. This isn't quite as easy as some of you would like to believe.

I understand the frustration and sense of inevitable doom given the curse that has hovered over the program these past several years. I also understand the impatience. We've all spent far too much time combing the internet and Twitter for possible clues. Hours seem like days, days like weeks.

You have no choice but to give it some more time. If you're like me, you haven't given up hope.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@DanWolken: If A&M actually pulls the Jimbo Fisher thing off I’ll be super impressed. The real question is what their Plan B looks like.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
I know it’s a looooooong shot. But wasn’t Gundy interested in the job before we hired butters? Why has his name not gotten more attention? I know his buyout is crazy but we bought out smackelwain. Just thinking out loud

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Contrary to perception, the race to name a coach isn't over, not by any stretch. It's merely the warm-up lap.

Yep, and the stretches are all by the media-monkies.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Norvell apparently didn’t pass a background check by the UAA? What in the absolute **** is going on at UF? Norvell can’t pass but kelly can?
The only thing I find odd in people saying this is that he was a candidate for OC when we hired Roper. We didn't hear a peep back then. Was our control of info that much better just a few years ago?

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Grab Norvell before he too is off the market. Frost would probably be great but there is serious heat about him and Nebraska. Why put yourself in a similar situation to CK and UCLA?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grab Norvell before he too is off the market. Frost would probably be great but there is serious heat about him and Nebraska. Why put yourself in a similar situation to CK and UCLA?

Agree. I think you have to say to Frost's people, look, you're our #1 pick but we can't afford to wait this out. We need to know right now if we should pursue this any further.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's Sunday morning, Nov. 26, and there are a ton of you ready to throw in the towel and condemn UF for having screwed the search. To which I say: Why?

Let me please remind you of a few facts:
  • Chip Kelly was at once the wild card and fly in the ointment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The one obvious candidate with whom we didn't need to wait out the regular season to pursue a commitment. You have to make a play for a guy like that.
  • If you're second-guessing the initiative or the aggressiveness with which we went about it -- and, yes, Nevada, we were on Kelly before UCLA fired Mora -- then you're either playing mind games or you never really wanted the guy. You give it all you can, including money, and walk away knowing you did your best.
  • Frost is almost the equal gamble given the logical interest from his alma mater. Once again it's a situation where Florida makes more sense but intangibles could put us on the short end. As of this moment, we have no idea what's been said or if contract talk has even taken place. It's way premature to judge what we did or how went about it. Did we get a late start? Of course we did. We chased Kelly for 10-14 days.
  • Contrary to perception, the race to name a coach isn't over, not by any stretch. It's merely the warm-up lap. If you're chasing an incumbent, all you or anyone else has done till now is put out feelers and follow up on them. We've likely been in contact with a ton of people, some of whom may surprise.
  • I'm personally impressed with Norvell and I wouldn't mind a look-see at Fuentes. After that, based on what I've read, we probably fall into a lower tier that includes Mullen, Strong and Taggart due to state of Florida ties. Not my personal choices, but at that point the field is thin, which is also not our fault either. It's always been about fate -- timing and availability.
Four tiers, the top two laden with uncertainty due to factors out of our control. This isn't quite as easy as some of you would like to believe.

I understand the frustration and sense of inevitable doom given the curse that has hovered over the program these past several years. I also understand the impatience. We've all spent far too much time combing the internet and Twitter for possible clues. Hours seem like days, days like weeks.

You have no choice but to give it some more time. If you're like me, you haven't given up hope.

Thanks '78, I think we needed that.

:bob:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Agree. I think you have to say to Frost's people, look, you're our #1 pick but we can't afford to wait this out. We need to know right now if we should pursue this any further.

And they would probably dick us around for a week before turning us down, just like Kelly.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Blount pushing hard for frost to uf

guys like frost operate on loads of self-confidence. if he believes he can be the guy to draw athletes to the huskers he'll drop us like the hot rock we are.

i want the dude to come here but UF is under a black cloud and the fans are getting bitch slapped at every turn.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SS needs to be aggressive with them. Hey, if you want it we'll wait til the game is over. If not, you're out and we're moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator