The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
SS needs to be aggressive with them. Hey, if you want it we'll wait til the game is over. If not, you're out and we're moving on.

Agreed. We need someone who WANTS to be a gator. If they are worried about waiting to see what other jobs come open or how much money they can get by holding out an extra week then I don’t want them personally

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And they would probably dick us around for a week before turning us down, just like Kelly.

I'm gonna guess it won't happen because given the time we burned pursuing Kelly we can't and won't let it happen.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
What are Norvell's alleged background issues? Don't forget the CS also had character issues at UF and Louisville ala Kiffenesque. Would these knock them off the list.?

As Mick would say Oh Myyyyy!

Go Gators get frosty

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Well it looks like we're down to Strong or Taggart. Would't be thrilled about either, which one is considered the better coach?

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
Well it looks like we're down to Strong or Taggart. Would't be thrilled about either, which one is considered the better coach?

Do you think Taggart is a real option? He’s only been at Oregon 1 year. I just don’t see him leaving so soon

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Do you think Taggart is a real option? He’s only been at Oregon 1 year. I just don’t see him leaving so soon

People are claiming Oregon wants him out of there and he wants out as well. Strong has only been at USF for one year as well.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
People are claiming Oregon wants him out of there and he wants out as well. Strong has only been at USF for one year as well.
I haven’t heard the rumors about Oregon wanting him out. Why do they want him out? As far as strong goes, USF is a lesser job that Florida. So I can see him making a move after 1 year. Not saying Oregon is on the same level but it is still a power 5 job with Phil knight deep pockets

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we would've fired Muschamp a year earlier, we could've had a shot at Franklin. Penn St. sits at #7 in both scoring offense and defense

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It's Sunday morning, Nov. 26, and there are a ton of you ready to throw in the towel and condemn UF for having screwed the search. To which I say: Why?

Let me please remind you of a few facts:
  • Chip Kelly was at once the wild card and fly in the ointment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The one obvious candidate with whom we didn't need to wait out the regular season to pursue a commitment. You have to make a play for a guy like that.
  • If you're second-guessing the initiative or the aggressiveness with which we went about it -- and, yes, Nevada, we were on Kelly before UCLA fired Mora -- then you're either playing mind games or you never really wanted the guy. You give it all you can, including money, and walk away knowing you did your best.
  • Frost is almost the equal gamble given the logical interest from his alma mater. Once again it's a situation where Florida makes more sense but intangibles could put us on the short end. As of this moment, we have no idea what's been said or if contract talk has even taken place. It's way premature to judge what we did or how went about it. Did we get a late start? Of course we did. We chased Kelly for 10-14 days.
  • Contrary to perception, the race to name a coach isn't over, not by any stretch. It's merely the warm-up lap. If you're chasing an incumbent, all you or anyone else has done till now is put out feelers and follow up on them. We've likely been in contact with a ton of people, some of whom may surprise.
  • I'm personally impressed with Norvell and I wouldn't mind a look-see at Fuentes. After that, based on what I've read, we probably fall into a lower tier that includes Mullen, Strong and Taggart due to state of Florida ties. Not my personal choices, but at that point the field is thin, which is also not our fault either. It's always been about fate -- timing and availability.
Four tiers, the top two laden with uncertainty due to factors out of our control. This isn't quite as easy as some of you would like to believe.

I understand the frustration and sense of inevitable doom given the curse that has hovered over the program these past several years. I also understand the impatience. We've all spent far too much time combing the internet and Twitter for possible clues. Hours seem like days, days like weeks.

You have no choice but to give it some more time. If you're like me, you haven't given up hope.

Reason, patience, trust. Foreign concepts here.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Hindsight is always greater than foresight. But we wouldn't be in this predicament today if back in 2005 we would have hired Steve Spurrier instead of Urban Meyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.