The next wave I expect to pop

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This whole narrative that the "dumpers" would complain even if we won championships or that they want UF to fail so they can say I told you so is really lame. Everyone here wants the same thing whether you want to believe that or not.
Some of us however just don't like excuses.

If you wanna keep using that fake agenda nonsense please point to at least one example of anyone on this board wanting to fail or complaining about winning a championship.
#Fakenews

I have never accused anyone on this board of wanting the Gators to fail. Where did you get that from??? Is that a side effect of the negative disease?

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Is it just me or do the dumpers always seem to ignore anything that doesn't fit their agenda and then claim you said something you very specifically did not say?
My original point was that spurrier on average had blowout wins and ran up the score and made statements on offense, has Nuss or Butters even remotely shown this in any game over the past two years? Don't worry I'll wait....

The fact that you took 3 games out of spurriers tenure here to try and discredit what I was saying as to prove some point that Butters was the right call as coach and Nuss as OC. So far, I'm still waiting to be impressed.

Last edited:

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Put your ignore feature into use. It's amazing how it can improve this board. If we won the
NCG by two points, they would complain. Most of the habituals have never played the game. They have read Bianchi for too many years. The coaches finally cut off Bianchi's access.
Put about ten of them on ignore and see what happens.
I did play the game, and the only complaints are the ones that these coaches are getting paid millions of dollars for their "expert" "guru" knowledge of offense. That'd be like hiring charlie strong as defensive coordinator and he coaches the Defense to allow 30-40 points a game, and gets a coaching extension and raise with these types of metrics. You were hired to do a specific thing, they both have yet to fulfill this key performance indicator, IMHO.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
:orly:

Ive seen one person claim this, and he is considered extreme by basically all parties on both sides. And ive seen plenty of so called dumpers giving mac and co. big time kudos for recruiting this cycle. Quit sensationalizing.

I've seen two different posters claim it, but your point still stands. It has been a small minority. You are also correct that many dumpers have given credit where it is due in this recruiting cycle. It's definitely a good sign when the dumpers start seeing the good. Maybe the program has indeed finally turned a corner. We"ll have a clearer picture in about 5 months.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen two different posters claim it, but your point still stands. It has been a small minority. You are also correct that many dumpers have given credit where it is due in this recruiting cycle. It's definitely a good sign when the dumpers start seeing the good. Maybe the program has indeed finally turned a corner. We"ll have a clearer picture in about 5 months.
I think it's more of people declaring disaster as a predictable fact, and it sounds like they are rooting for losses. I don't think they are, but I can see where it can be misread.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
My original point was that spurrier on average had blowout wins and ran up the score and made statements on offense, has Nuss or Butters even remotely shown this in any game over the past two years? Don't worry I'll wait....

The fact that you took 3 games out of spurriers tenure here to try and discredit what I was saying as to prove some point that Butters was the right call as coach and Nuss as OC. So far, I'm still waiting to be impressed.

I agree entirely that Spurrier produced very effective offenses that were fun to watch. He lit up scoreboards and emptied stadiums. It was a great time to be a Gator.

I also agree that In his first two seasons Mac has not produced an offense that has inspired fear in an opponent. Our offense has been difficult to watch.

I was not trying to prove anything about Mac. I specifically said on numerous occasions that I was not comparing Mac to Spurrier.

It is common for people to bring up the blowout losses as a key complaint. It is not uncommon for people to compare it to Spurrier and say that these things would not have happened to him.

My point was that Spurrier too suffered blowout losses and close calls against inferior teams. I listed 3 games, but there are many more. When a coach becomes a legend people tend to only remember the many blowouts that went in his favor.

People were upset that Spurrier always managed to lose one game he should have won and it kept him out of the national championship picture. People complained that he couldn't beat Bowden. Then when Terry took over Auburn, Spurrier was losing to two Bowdens. The FSU and Auburn fans used to chant "can't beat a Bowden" at us. I remember Spurrier telling Vandy fans that if they booed him or the Gators he was going to run up the score. Then he took possibly one of our best offenses ever to Nashville and almost lost. That 1996 team had to rely on a defensive stop on the 47 to limp out of Nashville with a win. Vandy went 0-8 in the SEC that season. In the week leading up to the FSU game in 1992 Spurrier announced publically that his Gators didn't have a realistic chance at winning and he was going to pull his QB when it became apparent that we would lose. He pulled the starting QB in the 3rd quarter. He conceded defeat to FSU in the 3rd quarter. Imagine the uproar if any other Gators coach did that? Nowadays, most people don't even remember that Spurrier did it.

I don't believe it to be true, but there are still a lot of people today that believe that the Gators fans constant complaining was the reason Spurrier left. Spurrier made public comments about being unhappy with the criticism from the fans.

I'm not comparing the two, I'm simply pointing out that these things happen even to great coaches. Spurrier was criticized for it back then as well. Many of us felt it was unfair, but the pumper tag hadn't been coined yet.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Point to any dumper that appreciated winning the SECEast in back to back years. Show me one. The only thing they talked about was getting our 455 handed to us by F$U to close the season and Bama in the SEC CG. I'm not saying winning the east is much better than a participation ribbon, but there are 6 other teams that wish they had that much...and yet, dumpers can't appreciate a championship.

Point to any dumper that celebrated winning our bowl game over Iowa last year. Show me one. The only thing they talked about was the F$U and Bama losses (second year in a row!). We lost to MICH in a bowl the year before and managed to recover after two bad losses to win our bowl game this year....and yet, dumpers can't appreciate a win.

==============

Dumpers may be less accepting of excuses, or reality in some cases, but that's their right to their own perspective and opinion. However, in the face of any success you will find the board dumpers steadfastly burying the success under a pile of malcontent. There is always more to complain about for them, to the point where it makes any sort of positive event not worth acknowledging.
Winning the East is far from a championship.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I agree entirely that Spurrier produced very effective offenses that were fun to watch. He lit up scoreboards and emptied stadiums. It was a great time to be a Gator.

I also agree that In his first two seasons Mac has not produced an offense that has inspired fear in an opponent. Our offense has been difficult to watch.

I was not trying to prove anything about Mac. I specifically said on numerous occasions that I was not comparing Mac to Spurrier.

It is common for people to bring up the blowout losses as a key complaint. It is not uncommon for people to compare it to Spurrier and say that these things would not have happened to him.

My point was that Spurrier too suffered blowout losses and close calls against inferior teams. I listed 3 games, but there are many more. When a coach becomes a legend people tend to only remember the many blowouts that went in his favor.

People were upset that Spurrier always managed to lose one game he should have won and it kept him out of the national championship picture. People complained that he couldn't beat Bowden. Then when Terry took over Auburn, Spurrier was losing to two Bowdens. The FSU and Auburn fans used to chant "can't beat a Bowden" at us. I remember Spurrier telling Vandy fans that if they booed him or the Gators he was going to run up the score. Then he took possibly one of our best offenses ever to Nashville and almost lost. That 1996 team had to rely on a defensive stop on the 47 to limp out of Nashville with a win. Vandy went 0-8 in the SEC that season. In the week leading up to the FSU game in 1992 Spurrier announced publically that his Gators didn't have a realistic chance at winning and he was going to pull his QB when it became apparent that we would lose. He pulled the starting QB in the 3rd quarter. He conceded defeat to FSU in the 3rd quarter. Imagine the uproar if any other Gators coach did that? Nowadays, most people don't even remember that Spurrier did it.

I don't believe it to be true, but there are still a lot of people today that believe that the Gators fans constant complaining was the reason Spurrier left. Spurrier made public comments about being unhappy with the criticism from the fans.

I'm not comparing the two, I'm simply pointing out that these things happen even to great coaches. Spurrier was criticized for it back then as well. Many of us felt it was unfair, but the pumper tag hadn't been coined yet.
Ok. And I hate being negative Nancy, but I don't see anything resembling what these guys were brought in to do. I truly hope this changes this year. I am excited to see what our potential will be once we get a QB with some swagger on the field.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Don't forget punting on 3rd down. Could you imagine if that happened now? :lol2:

I have actually grown to like SOS more over the years and I can't tell how much of it is from him maturing (and mellowing out some) and how much of it is me maturing and being better able to understand him. There were times when he was our coach when I would get so frustrated at his seeming entitlement attitude. If everyone (on the offense) didn't execute well enough, he'd throw a fit.

Let Mac punt on 3rd down sometime this season and see how people react. :lol2:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Don't forget punting on 3rd down. Could you imagine if that happened now? :lol2:

I have actually grown to like SOS more over the years and I can't tell how much of it is from him maturing (and mellowing out some) and how much of it is me maturing and being better able to understand him. There were times when he was our coach when I would get so frustrated at his seeming entitlement attitude. If everyone (on the offense) didn't execute well enough, he'd throw a fit.

I can't remember now which game it was, but Spurrier once ran the exact same play three downs in a row. Same play, same receiver, same route, same everything. He was convinced it should work and he was going to run it till it did. It went incomplete all three times.

He did the same thing again at South Carolina. In the 2015 loss to Kentucky Spurrier called the same play three times in a row.

He took our program to another level so most of us overlooked his sometimes baffling decisions, but even back then there were Gator fans unhappy with the coaching.

Punting on 3rd down, running the same ineffective play on every down of a series, conceding defeat in the 3rd quarter and pulling your QB, getting blown out, games without an offensive TD, going 1-4 against FSU in his first 5 seasons - people just don't remember these things anymore.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

tumblr_lqg6o6titE1qgggv0o1_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member