The next wave I expect to pop

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
When I'm here I rarely pay any attention to who says what. Often don't even glance at the posters call sign. I have no real understanding of who the pumpers are or who the dumpers are. Except for a few extreme folks on each side.

I just read the posts which are mostly negative. I've never believed anyone was rooting for us to lose. I've honestly felt like it's all just entertainment and a reflection of folks personality types. We all know folks who look at things from a positive lens and others from a negative lens. But I'm pretty certain we all want the same thing in terms of success.

Me...I guess I'm a pumper. I like Coach Mac, White and Sully. I like our teams and I'm optimistic for the future of all our teams.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I can't remember now which game it was, but Spurrier once ran the exact same play three downs in a row. Same play, same receiver, same route, same everything. He was convinced it should work and he was going to run it till it did. It went incomplete all three times.

He did the same thing again at South Carolina. In the 2015 loss to Kentucky Spurrier called the same play three times in a row.

He took our program to another level so most of us overlooked his sometimes baffling decisions, but even back then there were Gator fans unhappy with the coaching.

Punting on 3rd down, running the same ineffective play on every down of a series, conceding defeat in the 3rd quarter and pulling your QB, getting blown out, games without an offensive TD, going 1-4 against FSU in his first 5 seasons - people just don't remember these things anymore.

Actually he was 1-4-1 against Noles in his first 5 seasons. Although the tie feels like another loss.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually he was 1-4-1 against Noles in his first 5 seasons. Although the tie feels like another loss.

This is another thing a lot of people forget. SOS understood the path the a NC is through the SEC championship game, not FSU. People bitch and moan because we get blown out by Bama in the SECCG the past two years. Well so what? At least we were there and you can't win the SEC, nor a NC without going through Atlanta. I hate the :nole:s as much as the next Gator fan, but beating them isn't nearly as important as winning the SEC in the big picture.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Hearing Miami commit Gurvan Hall is real shaky on Miami. He's going to visit Us/Bama & a couple others this fall. So in other words...be on the lookout for his decommitment. :lol:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hearing Miami commit Gurvan Hall is real shaky on Miami. He's going to visit Us/Bama & a couple others this fall. So in other words...be on the lookout for his decommitment. :lol:
Miami's class is fragile? Surprised it took this long

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
For those of us who don't know every HS boy in the state of Florida, like some people, Gurvan Hall is a 4* Safety out of West Palm ranked 18th at his position.
We currently have 3* Randy Russel committed so apparently it would be a step up but didn't I see video of Randy hitting the snot out of people.
4* Kwantel Raines out of PA is another Safety target on the board.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For those of us who don't know every HS boy in the state of Florida, like some people, Gurvan Hall is a 4* Safety out of West Palm ranked 18th at his position.
We currently have 3* Randy Russel committed so apparently it would be a step up but didn't I see video of Randy hitting the snot out of people.
4* Kwantel Raines out of PA is another Safety target on the board.
Maybe it was more of a Jimmy Johnson thing, but I thought Shannon liked taking safeties and turning them into LBs, a la KJ. Any chance Russell can get that big? Probably too short though.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Maybe it was more of a Jimmy Johnson thing, but I thought Shannon liked taking safeties and turning them into LBs, a la KJ. Any chance Russell can get that big? Probably too short though.

I don't know why coaches don't do more of this. Each year, there are only a handful of fast, athletic LBs. Most safeties can't cover worth anything. That 3 star safety that isn't fast enough to play that position in the SEC, put 20-25 pounds on him. While he may be a slow safety, his 4.68 speed is now a fast linebacker. Many strong safeties play a form on LB anyway. Kylan Johnson wasn't even worth having on the roster as a safety, but he's a solid linebacker.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This is another thing a lot of people forget. SOS understood the path the a NC is through the SEC championship game, not FSU. People ***** and moan because we get blown out by Bama in the SECCG the past two years. Well so what? At least we were there and you can't win the SEC, nor a NC without going through Atlanta. I hate the :nole:s as much as the next Gator fan, but beating them isn't nearly as important as winning the SEC in the big picture.

Let's not forget, beating the Noles then was d*mn tough. They were going through their greatest successful stretch in their football program's history. Steve went 5-8-1 against them when they were annually a top 5 team during that stretch. If he hadn't let that lead slip away in the "choke at doke" he'd finished 6-7 against them cause they would've never rematched that year in the sugar bowl. That '94 team like the '01 team should've been playing for it all. No doubt if Spurrier would've caught Fsu in their down period like Meyer did, he would've play for a few more national championships.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Let's not forget, beating the Noles then was d*mn tough. They were going through their greatest successful stretch in their football program's history. Steve went 5-8-1 against them when they were annually a top 5 team during that stretch. If he hadn't let that lead slip away in the "choke at doke" he'd finished 6-7 against them cause they would've never rematched that year in the sugar bowl. That '94 team like the '01 team should've been playing for it all. No doubt if Spurrier would've caught Fsu in their down period like Meyer did, he would've play for a few more national championships.
Yeah those games from 91-99 enhanced the F$u-UF rivalry 100 fold. That game was THE game to watch nation wide, for recruiting, NC contention, etc. every 4-5 star recruit was always at this game. I guess if we offered free shoes, Dillard shopping sprees, etc. we could have gotten a few more Meyer type recruits....

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The rise of FSU in the 1990's can be traced back directly to Charley Pell.

Pell did a lot of good things for Florida and laid the foundation for future championships. However, Pell also cheated prolifically and was responsible for the Gators going on probation. The scholarship reductions, public image as a cheating school and bowl ban definitely hurt us in recruiting. However, we were also banned from live TV. That probably hurt us in recruiting more than anything else.

The recruits that would normally come to Florida started going to FSU instead. Charley Pell laid the foundation for success at two different schools.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I figured Barnes and Gouraige would be the next to pop, but maybe the AmHeritage pipeline flows

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.