Thoughts on the Defense thru 3 games?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All off-season we kept hearing that Chauncey was playing mostly corner in practice. We get to the season and he's playing safety(and sucking at it)? Why not move him back to corner? At least give him a look.
He's definitely not a saftey, that's for sure. Maybe he'll learn how to kick?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And the fact that the LBs are soft and undersized in addition to having almost no depth at the position only compounds the problem.

Every team we've faced has absolutely azz raped us running the ball. Garbage teams run the ball right down our throats for huge gains throughout the entire game. I said this was going to happen before the season started, and while some were complaining about DT talent and depth I felt like I was about the only one saying LB, specifically inside LB was even worse. News flash. It is.
Agreed. This could get somewhat better as the young guys(DL) get more reps but it could also become a nightmare as we lose players due to injury. The LB's jobs are going to be very tough without studs in front of them that require teams to double team like in the past years when we had Brantley and Bullard.......In other words our 210-220# LB's are going to get mauled by 320# OG's in the running lanes frequently......Not a battle were going to win very often.....LSU and UGA are probably salivating at the thought with their run heavy offenses.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How many grad-transfer LB's do we take this year? :D (add in a few JUCO's)

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Linebacker was always going to be an issue. Whiff's in recruiting and no depth. When you have #43 and #44 getting as much PT as they are getting you know you have problems. This isn't an issue that will go away in 2017. We really need the offense to make up the difference and starting more points on the board. If we can make teams one dimensional and force them to ignore their running game we can take over games. It is all about the offense and getting out to fast starts.

BTW Luke Del Rio doesn't equate to getting off to a fast start. Prep for a dogfight this Saturday. Webb going for 2 bills.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-Marco has been lights out as a freshmen. It seems every time the ball is thrown his way it results in an incomplete pass downfield.
Once he gets a little stronger he has All-America written all over him.

- CG was better than he was against UT. I expect better play from him moving forward.

- Washington is athletically limited. He knows his assignments, and has taken coaching well. You can tell this by how he takes some of the better
angles of our defenders when guys get loose in the open field. We're getting the most out of him which isn't enough, but as expected unfortunately.

- We really miss Marcel. With him on the field Nick and Chauncey can share the other spot and keep each other fresh. It goes without saying Marcel is/was one of our better guys at finishing tackles.

- For reasons unknown we are terrible at defending a simple screen to the running back. They usually aren't difficult plays to dissect, and are
used often in fairly obvious down and distance. For some reason our backers act like they have never defended one, and are constantly out of position,and to make matters worse take poor angles in pursuit. I truly love a good screen to the running back. It's a safe play to run because if it isn't there the QB just throws it in the dirt at the back's feet. If it's executed well with blockers it's one of the best low risk/high reward plays in the business.

- Reese still has a way to go. I wish he would take better angles in pursuit, and at times runs himself out of the play.

-Joseph is talented, but we really need KJ back to help out these guys. Joseph reaches instead of wrapping up a times.

-Zuniga again with another costly mental mistake. Late in games I would prefer Sherit and Jefferson in , maybe even Polite.
Our ends have a tendency to rush too far upfield, as if they haven't been coached properly about rush lanes and how not to create them.
At times the ends have really hampered the run defense.

-The starting duo of Bryan and Clark is good (not great). I like what we've seen from Campbell . If we can have one other young buck step
up in the trenches that would be great.

-I've seen some compare this bunch to the 07 crew. It's similar in terms of youth, but overall I think this a better unit this season. No Wondy
in the secondary that sticks out like a sore thumb, and the 07 DT's simply wouldn't get a push in the rush. Whereas these guys do from time to time, as a result makes the QB try to freelance to escape a collapsing pocket. The 07 backers on the other hand were better than our current LB crew.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
-

-The starting duo of Bryan and Clark is good (not great). I like what we've seen from Campbell . If we can have one other young buck step
up in the trenches that would be great.

Good stuff GB25.

I think Slaton is the "one other young buck" you mention. He played some solid snaps that required a few double teams (he's freaking huge!). I think those 4 make a solid rotation, w/ Ancrum maybe getting in a few snaps on passing downs (I cringe when I see him on the field).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How many grad-transfer LB's do we take this year? :D (add in a few JUCO's)
we already have a Juco linebacker wearing number 24.

By the way how have those jucos worked? Just about like they always work.

SOS moved our most productive halfback to linebacker once for probably half the year. good coaches make those kind of adjustments.

they also have depth

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

SOS moved our most productive halfback to linebacker once for probably half the year. good coaches make those kind of adjustments.

they also have depth

Well, I was (kinda) joking.

I agree it's not the best tactic, signing JUCO's. But honestly, look at our depth chart; there's 4 "real" LB's on it (Moon, VJ, KJ, and Reese), the others (Jackson & Brunson) are both 2-star projects that we "stole" from FAU or FIU. If the two suspended kids don't come back, we need to add no less than 3 freshman, preferably 4 (but there's not many LB's that we're projected to land, at least not many "top" LB's). So do we add another freshman 2-star project or add a JUCO? I'd prefer the JUCO (or grad-transfer), for immediate depth - not a starter, but depth. That's all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I was (kinda) joking.

I agree it's not the best tactic, signing JUCO's. But honestly, look at our depth chart; there's 4 "real" LB's on it (Moon, VJ, KJ, and Reese), the others (Jackson & Brunson).
I have some hope for Burnson.

Jackson is crap and I think weighs less than when he got here.

Moon can only play outside. We have options at sam backer. Nothing inside.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
-I've seen some compare this bunch to the 07 crew. It's similar in terms of youth, but overall I think this a better unit this season. No Wondy
in the secondary that sticks out like a sore thumb, and the 07 DT's simply wouldn't get a push in the rush. Whereas these guys do from time to time, as a result makes the QB try to freelance to escape a collapsing pocket. The 07 backers on the other hand were better than our current LB crew.

'07 vs '17?

You think that '17 is better? Spikes, Haden, Wright, Harvey, Cunningham, Dunlap, Joiner, etc is worse than this crew? I think our current is much less talented.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016

they also have depth
Are you talking about Elijah Williams? He went from tailback to safety and played safety in the NFL too for a few years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Terry Jackson started at linebacker one year due to injuries. I dont remember which year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Terry Jackson started at linebacker one year due to injuries. I dont remember which year.

Terry was recruited/redshirted as a Linebacker, and moved to Running Back. I think you are thinking about Eugene McCaslin

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you talking about Elijah Williams? He went from tailback to safety and played safety in the NFL too for a few years.

Elijah Williams went from RB to CB, was drafted at CB

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
'07 vs '17?

You think that '17 is better? Spikes, Haden, Wright, Harvey, Cunningham, Dunlap, Joiner, etc is worse than this crew? I think our current is much less talented.

From a pure talent standpoint I would say the 07 bunch was more talented. But I think the 17' bunch can be better for us as a whole on defense this season. Harvey & JC were really good ends that year, but our DT's rarely if ever got a push. Allowing the QB to just step into and stay in a pocket to deliver the football against the secondary. Joiner was never really a guy that excelled in pass coverage, and I would argue benefited greatly the previous year from playing next to Nelson. So far this year we have Marco filling the role of corner with similarly good results as Haden. And Henderson is clearly far more talented than Wondy. Wright would come on to eventually replace a terrible Jackson. So I give a slight edge to this years secondary vs 07 while the 07 backers were clearly better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bouncing off GB25's info:
1) is the problem a great part not having coaching that develops any position at a decent pace?
2) not infusing a dynamic enthusiasm at each & every practice.
3) "drafting" lesser * players due to what? missing targets, poor sales pitch, unattractive development success??
4) unsmart film watching point-outs.
5) after film viewing excellent defensive reactions/results have a Shand's guy put each position-collective under hypnosis and have each visualize himself "read" a play & execute it to fan & sideline-teammates' cheers = dopamine dumps.
6) quickly sweep out underachieving coaches & plug in firebrands.
7) have the O keep the ball lots longer.
8) etc. etc. etc.

For us fans yay-ja-view all over again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Close. But Eli played CB, as a senior.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes Eugene McCaslin also. He started probably for a year. Or maybe two.

But Terry Jackson played LB at UF also, due to injuries.

edit:::I found an article discussing for some of you sad drunks who dont recall
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...7_1_eli-williams-teddy-sims-outstanding-backs

You had me doubting myself for a minute.

I was looking as well, because for some reason I thought Terry played both ways, but couldn't find any stats to back up the defensive side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator