Thoughts on the Defense thru 3 games?

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I remember being pissed off when Williams went to defense. He had led the team in yards per carry for two years in a row and never seemed to lose yards. Worked out OK for him in the end and Ferd Taylor finally had his monster year in 1997.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@ThomasGoldkamp: When I used to track this in last few years, most Florida DBs were around 15%. Occasionally you'd get one around 25%.

Wow.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember being pissed off when Williams went to defense. He had led the team in yards per carry for two years in a row and never seemed to lose yards. Worked out OK for him in the end and Ferd Taylor finally had his monster year in 1997.
I think Eli played for years as a starting nfl CB.

Talented kids will often excel wherever you play them.

SOS was really good at getting his best 22 n the field.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First thoughts are, they're half way decent against the run, as long as we don't let them get outside on us. We're horrific on the outsides. Can't tackle. Can't contain the edge at all. Teams will all scheme to take advantage of it the rest of the season and we'll be gashed again and again. Gardner needs to go back to CB. He isn't Safety material. Can't tackle at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, he should be benched until he decides he's ready to tackle somebody.
Mac is so scared to play freshmen and the shytty DBs we landed the last two years aren't any better.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
"It's gone pretty well. I had a really good game against Kentucky. I won co-defensive player of the game. You'll see a lot of people and articles on Twitter, 'Oh, Garcia sucks. Garcia can't get off blocks.' They don't know what gap I have. So they can write whatever they want." – Gators linebacker Cristian Garcia, who has received extra playing time due to depth issues

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Freshman linebacker Nick Smith, who sustained a knee injury prior to preseason camp, is back at practice participating in non-contact drills. "He's got his helmet on now, got shoulder pads on, part of the team,'' McElwain said. There is no timetable on Smith's return to full-contact drills …

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Freshman linebacker Nick Smith, who sustained a knee injury prior to preseason camp, is back at practice participating in non-contact drills. "He's got his helmet on now, got shoulder pads on, part of the team,'' McElwain said. There is no timetable on Smith's return to full-contact drills …

It says he's 205...he'll fall down with a big gust of wind.

edit: He's up to 213 on your link.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
From a pure talent standpoint I would say the 07 bunch was more talented. But I think the 17' bunch can be better for us as a whole on defense this season. Harvey & JC were really good ends that year, but our DT's rarely if ever got a push. Allowing the QB to just step into and stay in a pocket to deliver the football against the secondary. Joiner was never really a guy that excelled in pass coverage, and I would argue benefited greatly the previous year from playing next to Nelson. So far this year we have Marco filling the role of corner with similarly good results as Haden. And Henderson is clearly far more talented than Wondy. Wright would come on to eventually replace a terrible Jackson. So I give a slight edge to this years secondary vs 07 while the 07 backers were clearly better.
Tell your weed man to hit me up sometimes. Clearly you're smoking something.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Gardner is killing us because he's scared as sh*t to hit someone. He and Washington are 2 of the worst safeties we've had at UF in several yrs...neither want any part of contact. Until one of both are benched we'll continue to see the big gains by RB's. Btw...heres just how bad Gardner is playing compared to the secondary in 15 Screenshot_20170928-215332.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I see little drop off from last year's defense.

Signed,
Anonymous pumper

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"It's gone pretty well. I had a really good game against Kentucky. I won co-defensive player of the game. You'll see a lot of people and articles on Twitter, 'Oh, Garcia sucks. Garcia can't get off blocks.' They don't know what gap I have. So they can write whatever they want." – Gators linebacker Cristian Garcia, who has received extra playing time due to depth issues
Garcia got roaster in pass coverage regularly, like he was sometimes three steps behind. I thought he did ok in run support.

Got kid but he is a walkon for a reason.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His feelings are hurt? I don't recall him being on Mac's "thingy" list. Does hurt make you whiff?

To my understanding his ankle was sprained pretty bad. Maybe not anymore? I don't know.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To my understanding his ankle was sprained pretty bad. Maybe not anymore? I don't know.

Two Florida starters — safety Chauncey Gardner and tight end DeAndre Goolsby — sustained possible season-ending injuries in the loss to Michigan on Saturday.

Gardner injured his knee in the third quarter. Goolsby sustained an unspecified injury. Both players underwent MRIs on Sunday and UF is waiting for the results.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The possible replacement for Gardner, who posted to social media a photo of him in a walking boot and crutches, are true freshmen Shawn Davis and Brad Stewart and redshirt freshman Jeawon Taylor. Stewart and Taylor played on special teams Saturday.

SEEMS TO BE AN ISSUE HERE?

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We have several issues. LB is a major one as is safety. Considering how young we are back there it could be worse. If folks remain healthy and coaches do their jobs we should improve. Those are two big IFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator