Thoughts on the Defense thru 3 games?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The possible replacement for Gardner, who posted to social media a photo of him in a walking boot and crutches, are true freshmen Shawn Davis and Brad Stewart and redshirt freshman Jeawon Taylor. Stewart and Taylor played on special teams Saturday.

SEEMS TO BE AN ISSUE HERE?

I guess it was a knee. Not an ankle. Guess my point is why is the coaching staff still playing him? They spent all off-season telling us how wonderful Davis and Stewart were – THEN play them!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell your weed man to hit me up sometimes. Clearly you're smoking something.

So I take it you would rather have Wondy than CJ Henderson or Duke?

I assume you would rather have Tony Joiner than Chauncey

I assume you believe the DT in 2007 are better than the ones we have this year. It was so bad we moved a Pouncey over there to take some snaps.

Dunlap hardly played in 07. Major eventually took Jackson's spot and would be an upgrade on this team for sure. The only other spot the 07 crew was significantly better than we are this season is LB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. The only other spot the 07 crew was significantly better than we are this season is LB.
Pretty sure you could be Baker Acted into a mental facility.

That 07 D was full of bluechip future NFLers who were just young.

This defense is full of 3 star dawgshyt.

We should not allow this butterrific shyt FAU team to wear our uniform.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure you could be Baker Acted into a mental facility.

That 07 D was full of bluechip future NFLers who were just young.

This defense is full of 3 star dawgshyt.

We should not allow this butterrific shyt fau team to wear our uniform.

You're the damn rudest donkey on Earth. I never said 2017 d is more talented than the 07 crew . I said collectively we can be a better defense this season compared to 07 and listed several reasons why.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're the damn rudest donkey on Earth.
Im curious, how many polite donkeys have you met? Pretty much every donkey Ive ever met was stubborn, loud, and rude.

Neverthless, you are my favorite poster, dont forget that.

I said collectively we can be a better defense this season compared to 07 and listed several reasons why.
I understand. And I said youbare having a psychotic break and need help.

If I didnt love you, I wouldnt be locking you up.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You're the damn rudest donkey on Earth. I never said 2017 d is more talented than the 07 crew . I said collectively we can be a better defense this season compared to 07 and listed several reasons why.

Dont fret. There is a reason they call donks asses.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're not a recruiting mill like Bama. Under Mac, we're at best sporadic. His next Houdini is coordinating the maturation of the defense to match that of the offense. Even then, we have coordinators on both sides of the ball who leave a lot to be desired.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. His next Houdini is coordinating the maturation of the defense to match that of the offense.
WTF? The last thing I want is for him to fvkk up the defense as bad as he has the offense. As bad as we are this year, we dont yet look like a total clownshow on defense yet.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We've pretty much as a fan cult can depend on our D to represent and smack your ass around... even during the old years the D made it tough more times than not. We could rush and bang you around out in space. Mac & Co. better not make us retarded on D... that's buck board tar and feather your butt out of town, blasphemy level stuff then. The D is thin today but the heart still there, gotta keep it beating 'till the better leaders take over. Go Gator D! :yes:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
After getting ass-raped in Dallas, the D still looks more "bend, try not to break" than stout. We all know about the lost talent and the poor defensive recruiting in the first two McElwain classes. However, there have been flashes of a good defense there....but too much inconsistency.

I'm not sure our LB corps will be very good this year, unless they grow up over night and we find some depth (which ain't happenin due to the suspended players). Hopefully they stay healthy or that will be an issue all season. Are we ever going to blitz?

The secondary is young and Washington and Dawson need to tighten up a bit (both got beat badly by UK).

The DL seems to be our strength, especially getting to the QB. Obviously we have some good DE's, but they aren't so good holding the edge (on run plays). I think the two starting DT's are solid, not All-SEC caliber unfortunately (at least not yet). I like having Campbell and/or Slaton in there. Those guys seem to play w/ energy and give us real size at DT/NT. I think Polite is our best DL....and he's not even a starter!

Anyhow, w/ our inconsistent, sloppy, poorly coached offense I wanted to get a discussion about the other side of the ball going. Thoughts?

The defense reminds me a bit of 2007 - young, talented but prone to missed assignments. Add to that injuries and it's even less experienced. They can make big plays and I like that the DBs aren't 12 yards off the line like Haden was doing as a freshman.

They are weak up the middle - as I think Donkey predicted they would be. The LBs seem to hit the wrong gaps, reminds me of Reid Fleming/Travis Harris days.

But they cannot carry the team. They need the offense to carry more of the load and that's apparently a slow crawl.

And, special teams is not helping. Townsend is spectacular but we keep giving up significant returns that mitigate his effectiveness.

If they can improve each week then they have a chance. A&M looms but I'm more concerned about noon today. Vandy will play their hardest after last week's embarrassment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator