Thoughts on the Defense thru 3 games?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
After getting ass-raped in Dallas, the D still looks more "bend, try not to break" than stout. We all know about the lost talent and the poor defensive recruiting in the first two McElwain classes. However, there have been flashes of a good defense there....but too much inconsistency.

I'm not sure our LB corps will be very good this year, unless they grow up over night and we find some depth (which ain't happenin due to the suspended players). Hopefully they stay healthy or that will be an issue all season. Are we ever going to blitz?

The secondary is young and Washington and Dawson need to tighten up a bit (both got beat badly by UK).

The DL seems to be our strength, especially getting to the QB. Obviously we have some good DE's, but they aren't so good holding the edge (on run plays). I think the two starting DT's are solid, not All-SEC caliber unfortunately (at least not yet). I like having Campbell and/or Slaton in there. Those guys seem to play w/ energy and give us real size at DT/NT. I think Polite is our best DL....and he's not even a starter!

Anyhow, w/ our inconsistent, sloppy, poorly coached offense I wanted to get a discussion about the other side of the ball going. Thoughts?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'll have to disagree with you on the DL. It is far from our strength; they don't play gaps right and they are getting gashed because of it.

If anything our best position and strength has been the two freshman cb's.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The DL and LBs are the worst position groups on the field. While specifically the DEs might be talented and have had some success rushing the passer, the actual line (think interior) is as soft and porous as swiss cheese. And the fact that the LBs are soft and undersized in addition to having almost no depth at the position only compounds the problem.

Every team we've faced has absolutely azz raped us running the ball. Garbage teams run the ball right down our throats for huge gains throughout the entire game. I said this was going to happen before the season started, and while some were complaining about DT talent and depth I felt like I was about the only one saying LB, specifically inside LB was even worse. News flash. It is.

The secondary has played pretty well given the fact that they are very young. Theyve given up some big plays but also made some and they are learning and getting better. The interior line and middle linebacker positions, however, are dreadful. I cringe thinking about facing teams like LSU and UGA who actually run the ball well.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Young. Physically immature. Getting better but will wear down significantly as the season progresses unless the O starts getting some sustained drives. (Which they did , somewhat, in the KY game.)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The DL and LBs are the worst position groups on the field. While specifically the DEs might be talented and have had some success rushing the passer, the actual line (think interior) is as soft and porous as swiss cheese. And the fact that the LBs are soft and undersized in addition to having almost no depth at the position only compounds the problem.

Every team we've faced has absolutely azz raped us running the ball. Garbage teams run the ball right down our throats for huge gains throughout the entire game. I said this was going to happen before the season started, and while some were complaining about DT talent and depth I felt like I was about the only one saying LB, specifically inside LB was even worse. News flash. It is.

The secondary has played pretty well given the fact that they are very young. Theyve given up some big plays but also made some and they are learning and getting better. The interior line and middle linebacker positions, however, are dreadful. I cringe thinking about facing teams like LSU and UGA who actually run the ball well.

True. But I think CB is more a young buck thing. Some growing pains. Gardner has been slightly disappointing this year. As has Washington. So Safety has been bad. Really bad.

Linebacker. Disaster. You can't stop the run game without linebackers.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Ranked #82 nationally in total Defense. Better than the O. We are really hurting at the LB position in my opinion. The DL is the strength of the unit.

Chauncey Gardner is reaching epic levels of incompetence at the S position. After having some genuine head hunters at Safety for a few years, he sincerely looks scared to tackle. He was replaced in the 3rd for a while by Stewart.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lack of talented and healthy bodies is killing us. Linebacker do we even have enough bodies to rotate? DL we do.. the defensive back field and linebackers look like a group no communicating. Especially the safeties making incorrect calls, or being out of position. The lack of attention to Linebackers through recruiting and having a bunch of young guys in the backfield is a disaster. If we look this confused in game 8 as we do in game 3 then it stops being youth and starts being coaching.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The defense is as bad as id thought it would be. We look exactly like i thought we would defensively. Urg and threat tried to tell me there would be no drop off lol.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lack of talented and healthy bodies is killing us. Linebacker do we even have enough bodies to rotate? DL we do.. the defensive back field and linebackers look like a group no communicating. Especially the safeties making incorrect calls, or being out of position. The lack of attention to Linebackers through recruiting and having a bunch of young guys in the backfield is a disaster. If we look this confused in game 8 as we do in game 3 then it stops being youth and starts being coaching.

Do linebackers normally take many breaks during a game? I know D linemen do but I thought LBs mostly stayed in there unless one came out due to the defense playing nickel or something. I have seen Garcia in there some this year even before that one LB was kicked out of the game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with the sentiment particularly toward DB. But with linebacker I don't think it's going to get any better. None of these guys would even start on any other team we've had. Reese would probably be a depth player. And Joseph and Moon would be an ST player. They should be on the bench learning. Not starting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the sentiment particularly toward DB. But with linebacker I don't think it's going to get any better. None of these guys would even start on any other team we've had. Reese would probably be a depth player. And Joseph and Moon would be an ST player. They should be on the bench learning. Not starting.

Linebacker talent wise wasn't getting any better, but guys being out there all game long is an issue. As I stated in another thread, the lack of talented bodies is due to recruiting, the suspensions just made the number of bodies for both practice and in game snaps worse. The body can take only so many hits before it will break down.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Linebacker talent wise wasn't getting any better, but guys being out there all game long is an issue. As I stated in another thread, the lack of talented bodies is due to recruiting, the suspensions just made the number of bodies for both practice and in game snaps worse. The body can take only so many hits before it will break down.

Here's the problem with that – you're assuming that if we had the depth they would play the other players. I don't buy that. Other than a couple of the players I don't think most of those kids would even get on the field. Other than the rotation that they are doing on the DL this year, they are notorious for not substituting and allowing players who should not be on the field to remain on the field. We saw this with LDR last year. And we've seen it adnauseum with Gardner this year. Gardner should not even be playing. To what I've read, his ankle is so jacked up he can barely walk on it. Garcia as a walk on and has no business being on the field. Put Brunson, Jackson, or Johnson out there.

How is Toney not getting more touches? He would make a big play on offense and then he wouldn't come back out until the next series. I don't trust the staff for a moment to even put its best players on the field.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think our secondary is as soft a group as I've ever seen wear the OnB. I think Gardner might be the worst tackler in the league. He makes Deion Sanders look like Ronnie Lott or Jack Tatum.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This D is weakest up the middle we have been in many, many years. We have some real playmakers (CeCe), and some young studs (Polite)... but not enough of them. Our youth, and lack of depth means that we have almost no margin of error, and very little stamina. Our D is usually dead by the end of the game. What would really help them is an O that can consistently convert 3rd downs, and actually put points on the board... though it is nice when opposing offenses stop running plays that are killing us (UT), or even better, when defenses decide to help us out by not covering our receivers (UK). Both of those have provided excellent improvements to our defense's play!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the problem with that – you're assuming that if we had the depth they would play the other players. I don't buy that. Other than a couple of the players I don't think most of those kids would even get on the field. Other than the rotation that they are doing on the DL this year, they are notorious for not substituting and allowing players who should not be on the field to remain on the field. We saw this with LDR last year. And we've seen it adnauseum with Gardner this year. Gardner should not even be playing. To what I've read, his ankle is so jacked up he can barely walk on it. Garcia as a walk on and has no business being on the field. Put Brunson, Jackson, or Johnson out there.

That depth is going to get touches if the coaches like it or not, the human body is the human body. Usually a LB would tap their helmet to get a breath, even the last few years. This year it's like they are being told not too. When it gets late in the year, and we don't have bodies (like the previous two). We are going to feel it.

How is Toney not getting more touches? He would make a big play on offense and then he wouldn't come back out until the next series. I don't trust the staff for a moment to even put its best players on the field.

Completely different subject, toney not starting in front of Powell is beyond me.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This D is weakest up the middle we have been in many, many years. We have some real playmakers (CeCe), and some young studs (Polite)... but not enough of them. Our youth, and lack of depth means that we have almost no margin of error, and very little stamina. Our D is usually dead by the end of the game. What would really help them is an O that can consistently convert 3rd downs, and actually put points on the board... though it is nice when opposing offenses stop running plays that are killing us (UT), or even better, when defenses decide to help us out by not covering our receivers (UK). Both of those have provided excellent improvements to our defense's play!

Agree on being soft up the middle. I'm hoping as the season moves along we see more of Campbell and Slaton in there. I think one of those two paired w/ Clark and/or Bryan is a good change of pace - and as noted earlier, gives us real size in the middle.

Also, why is Ancrum playing so much? The guy just doesn't have the size to be in the middle on running downs (he's listed under 270...but that roster is very questionable on accuracy w/ sizes/weights). I'm happy that he's come along to the point he's getting on the field, but I've noticed his jersey number out there on a lot of plays that resulted in big gains.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think our secondary is as soft a group as I've ever seen wear the OnB. I think Gardner might be the worst tackler in the league. He makes Deion Sanders look like Ronnie Lott or Jack Tatum.

In his defense he's been playing hurt all year. Staff just keep sending him out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator