Thoughts on the Defense thru 3 games?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
But but but I heard that we were barely going to see any drop off. For sure top 20 defense in the country.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Never ceases to amaze me how many ppl think that if a dline can rush the passer, it means they are great.

:facepalm:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know I'm a broken record, but we are very poor technically and fundamentally. Some of this you expect with youth, but a lot of what I see reminds me of what the 9th graders always looked like when they first started practicing with the varsity. High pads, freezing on assignments, poor pursuit angles, terrible tackling, etc. These guys should be making mistakes, but the frequency should be diminishing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree on being soft up the middle. I'm hoping as the season moves along we see more of Campbell and Slaton in there.
From what Ive seen. They are our best DL today. They should be playing. Both demand double teams. That takes much pressure off of the LBs. Not many LBs do well taking on a guard.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
We look exactly how a team filled with 3* players should look.... Average just average. We are at least 2 years with an elite coach away from competing for any kind of championship. I believe it will take 2 really strong classes to get us back where we want to be and not the class that we have right now I'm talking 10 players in the top 100 strong.

I think an elite coach could turn it around to a 10 win team but that's what I think we need to really push for championships.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
One word on the D and Shannon... Crap

I understand your opinion, and I am not saying the D has been great, but with an objective eye, do you really think the players we have to choose from on defense are very talented? I think that Randy is doing the best he can with the players he has to work with. I am not defending Randy, but we have severe shortcoming at all 3 levels.

On the D-line we have 4 serviceable to good DE's. However 5 star recruit, sophomore Clayton is completely AWOL. He never plays. Does he suck that bad? At DT, both our starters are below average SEC DT's, which means our 2 backup DT's are not SEC caliber,

At LB, we are just plain awful, even when healthy. Kylan Johnson is our best LB overall, but he is hurt and looks to be done this season. Reese, Joseph and Moon who play the most are all too slow, and do not recognize plays quickly enough. All 3 are below average SEC LB's. Jackson and Garcia are not even serviceable back-ups.

In the secondary, the play of the true frosh CB's has been the biggest surprise in a positive way. They are holding their own for the most part considering they play a lot of man and we have little pass rush. Our safety play is just awful, as both Gardner and Washington are just horrendous in all facets. I would bench them and play Stiner, Davis, Stewart, Taylor, etc. and any other frosh who plays safety and hopefully they will develop in the future.

So my take when looking with eyes wide open is that we are void of talent on defense in a huge way. Yes Randy needs to make some changes, but objectively speaking, if we can hold our opponents to less that 25 points per game, I think we should be okay with that given this group

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One word on the D and Shannon... Crap
Shannon is meh. Sidehat was meh. they differ schematically some. Shannon likes old school 43 Zone. side hat blitzed a little more but still played bend and then break.

90% of the difference is due to piss poor talent on defense. there's no way around it. terrible depth at defensive tackle, inside lB, and strongside defensive end. we have 11 defensive ends and 10 of them are under-sized weakside de. same with linebacker only two can play inside.

this was inevitable because of the first two recruiting classes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I understand your opinion, and I am not saying the D has been great, but with an objective eye, do you really think the players we have to choose from on defense are very talented? I think that Randy is doing the best he can with the players he has to work with. I am not defending Randy, but we have severe shortcoming at all 3 levels.

On the D-line we have 4 serviceable to good DE's. However 5 star recruit, sophomore Clayton is completely AWOL. He never plays. Does he suck that bad? At DT, both our starters are below average SEC DT's, which means our 2 backup DT's are not SEC caliber,

At LB, we are just plain awful, even when healthy. Kylan Johnson is our best LB overall, but he is hurt and looks to be done this season. Reese, Joseph and Moon who play the most are all too slow, and do not recognize plays quickly enough. All 3 are below average SEC LB's. Jackson and Garcia are not even serviceable back-ups.

In the secondary, the play of the true frosh CB's has been the biggest surprise in a positive way. They are holding their own for the most part considering they play a lot of man and we have little pass rush. Our safety play is just awful, as both Gardner and Washington are just horrendous in all facets. I would bench them and play Stiner, Davis, Stewart, Taylor, etc. and any other frosh who plays safety and hopefully they will develop in the future.

So my take when looking with eyes wide open is that we are void of talent on defense in a huge way. Yes Randy needs to make some changes, but objectively speaking, if we can hold our opponents to less that 25 points per game, I think we should be okay with that given this group

I don't understand Clayton not playing hardly. He looked pretty good going against Taylor in the spring game. I guess they figure he is still behind the other ones.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Shannon hasn't had a good defense in 10+ years? Anyone know? One game with NFL talent against Iowa doesn't count...I am talking a whole season.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
All off-season we kept hearing that Chauncey was playing mostly corner in practice. We get to the season and he's playing safety(and sucking at it)? Why not move him back to corner? At least give him a look.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Isn't Randy at least partially to blame. Wasn't he hired to recruit stud defensive players?????

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Isn't Randy at least partially to blame. Wasn't he hired to recruit stud defensive players?????

I clearly stated Randy needed to make some changes and of course he is part of the recruiting team, just like all the coaches are. With that said, let's not blame an assistant for anything football related without also calling out the Head Coach. The HC is in charge of everything, from recruiting to games and everything in between.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I clearly stated Randy needed to make some changes and of course he is part of the recruiting team, just like all the coaches are. With that said, let's not blame an assistant for anything football related without also calling out the Head Coach. The HC is in charge of everything, from recruiting to games and everything in between.
Oh, I call Mac out for all failures. The buck starts and stops with Butters... He hired a ****ty coaching staff.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only surprise about this defense is that Gardner is struggling to tackle. Everything else is expected. There was a drop off in 2007 and there was always going to be a drop off this year too for the same reasons. Only difference is this defense has significantly less talent and depth than in 2007. Failing to recruit DTs for two years and settling for a few 3* LBs while still not recruiting enough will do that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All off-season we kept hearing that Chauncey was playing mostly corner in practice. We get to the season and he's playing safety(and sucking at it)? Why not move him back to corner? At least give him a look.
Because even though we aveeage 6 DBs per year, we have no damn safeties. we have linebackers that that are the size of safeties but obviously you're too slow but we have no safeties other than freshman.

Little Juwan Taylor and CJ McWilliams are terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.