Tiger's 15th major reopens debate over greatest ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
GiG, I'm over 70... I've seen Jack play dozens of times and I think head to head, Tiger was better. But it's all opinion which carries no weight around here.

Damn Deuce...you’re an old goat! Senile, too! Just kidding...about the goat part :lol:

All kidding aside, there was an interesting piece on TV last night. I believe it was the post tourney coverage with Curtis Strange and his colleague. Anyway, Curtis mentioned several of the greats, including Tiger, Jack, G. Player, etc. and talked about their particular strengths, who was the best tee to green, short game, etc. He then went in to say that Jack was the best all around and in not so many words said Nicklaus would wipe the ground with all of them & it wasn’t even close.

You are correct, though, that it’s all opinion on here and I respect your right to have your own opinion (even though it’s wrong :).

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Not even close.
49c78c164504455d0a74f633a1862395.jpg

Amen!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In their primes, Tiger would have wiped the floor with the Bear. I think even Nicklaus has admitted that.

Tiger also has more career wins than Jack in less time.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
2bag a Tiger nutswinger? Wait till he gets a load of that. :lmao2:
In their primes, Tiger would have wiped the floor with the Bear. I think even Nicklaus has admitted that.

Tiger also has more career wins than Jack in less time.

Bull ****. Try this for size.

"First time I ever had my swing speed checked was '98. I was 58, and I was out at either Titleist or Callaway . . . and I was 118 miles an hour," Nicklaus said during a Wednesday conference call ahead of the release of a new documentary about his life. "And I said, 'Wow, that's pretty good, I guess.'

Wait, a minute. A 118 mph swing speed? At 58?! Wow. That's especially impressive when you consider Tiger Woods' average swing speed at age 38 only clocked in at 115 mph. Jack's feat would be like Michael Jordan still pulling off dunks from the free-throw line at 58."

You didn't see them both in the flesh. I did. Nicklaus knows he would have clocked Woods. He just too much of a gentleman to say it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do believe that Tiger's game from 1999-2002 was probably unmatched. That's not enough to unseat Nicklaus, who performed at a near equal level for two decades.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nicklaus obviously has lo

"First time I ever had my swing speed checked was '98. I was 58, and I was out at either Titleist or Callaway . . . and I was 118 miles an hour," Nicklaus said during a Wednesday conference call ahead of the release of a new documentary about his life. "And I said, 'Wow, that's pretty good, I guess.'

Wait, a minute. A 118 mph swing speed? At 58?! Wow. That's especially impressive when you consider Tiger Woods' average swing speed at age 38 only clocked in at 115 mph. Jack's feat would be like Michael Jordan still pulling off dunks from the free-throw line at 58."

You didn't see them both in the flesh. I did. Nicklaus knows he would have clocked Woods. He just too much of a gentleman to say it.
I didn't realize that club speed was the end-all argument. I guess John Daly is the greatest golfer who ever lived.

Sober up.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I do believe that Tiger's game from 1999-2002 was probably unmatched. That's not enough to unseat Nicklause, who performed at a near equal level for two decades.

Nicklaus obviously has lo

I didn't realize that club speed was the end-all argument. I guess John Daly is the greatest golfer who ever lived.

Sober up.

I'm sober as a judge. Nicklaus had one weakness early in his career. He was not a very good wedge player He figured that out later. I've followed Nicklaus at tournaments for at least 10 rounds I've followed Woods at tournaments for 4. Nicklaus was a way better Driver, and better iron player. Woods was better from 50 in.So were a lot of pros. Putting. It's a draw.

I'm not hung up on older guys were better. I can't think of another sport where you could say that a player from another era was better than the greats of this era. Not tennis. Not football. Not baseball. Maybe Jordan in basketball.

But Nicklaus is the exception. He transcends eras.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Was it physical or was it maybe strategic? Did Tiger come to realize it wasn't all about club head speed, and so he began to approach tee shots like they didn't necessarily have to be an all-out assault on the golf course?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Was it physical or was it maybe strategic? Did Tiger come to realize it wasn't all about club head speed, and so he didn't approach each tee shot like it was an all-out assault on the golf course?

Only after he broke his knee and then his back. First few times on the comeback trail, he'd still come out of his shoes hacking it out of the rough. Probably why he went back under the knife. Better not to be in the rough.

See previous post. Yeah it was also strategic.Nicklaus was better. As I said Nicklaus wasn't great with a wedge. He did fix that later in his career. If his wedge play had been better early on, he'd have converted a bunch of those second place major finishes into first place finishes.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If Tiger could make short putts, he'd be up 3 strokes right now. Those claiming he's done are retarded.
In November of 2009, I was living in DC listening to a sport talk show on the radio and the hosts were discussing the then recent story of Elin going after Tiger with the 6 iron. One of the hosts went into a monologue about how to be successful at the PGA level, it more mental than physical and about how important it is to have your personal life not be screwed up. The guy then predicted Tiger would never win another major. The other hosts mocked the guy and said he was crazy, but in the 9+ years since then, Tiger has won zero majors. Sure, he’s still successful on the tour and has won a few events, but he’s no where near what he was and no longer intimidates anyone. I suspect Nicklaus’ record is pretty safe for a while.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In November of 2009, I was living in DC listening to a sport talk show on the radio and the hosts were discussing the then recent story of Elin going after Tiger with the 6 iron. One of the hosts went into a monologue about how to be successful at the PGA level, it more mental than physical and about how important it is to have your personal life not be screwed up. The guy then predicted Tiger would never win another major. The other hosts mocked the guy and said he was crazy, but in the 9+ years since then, Tiger has won zero majors. Sure, he’s still successful on the tour and has won a few events, but he’s no where near what he was and no longer intimidates anyone. I suspect Nicklaus’ record is pretty safe for a while.
It’s more than just mental with Tiger Woods. He’s had like 9 back surgeries since then and couldn’t even walk 2 years ago. Most people thought his days of playing competitive golf were over.

Woods isn’t breaking Jack’s Majors record, but he’s been in contention for 3 straight Major’s now. It’s silly to say that there’s no way he could win another one. He’s already gotten damn close.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It’s more than just mental with Tiger Woods. He’s had like 9 back surgeries since then and couldn’t even walk 2 years ago. Most people thought his days of playing competitive golf were over.

Woods isn’t breaking Jack’s Majors record, but he’s been in contention for 3 straight Major’s now. It’s silly to say that there’s no way he could win another one. He’s already gotten damn close.
Guess I was kinda mixing two things there. I thought it was interesting what the guy on the radio predicted given how it's held true, but clearly the injuries/surgeries have been a major part of his lack of success. Before his troubles, he was able to get in the other golfers heads and often able to come from behind to win; right now he's sort of just another guy out there. Personally, I'm not predicting anything - I'm pretty much always wrong with my sports predictions.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

And I’d never count him out at Augusta...nobody knows that course better and plays more consistently there. He may not win this year but if he’s gonna win another major The Masters would be the one I’d bet on.

Hell of a leaderboard heading into the weekend...gonna be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.