Status
Not open for further replies.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ive been all in since about 2 weeks of tater's hiring. but im not gonna lie, Im getting a little concerned with the commits we are taking. I appreciate us trying for the big targets and its not lost on me that the deck is somewhat stacked against us, we have to overcome a lot and it will take some time, and that with NIL and recent changes a lot of the big fish will probably wait, especially considering they'll want to see how tater salad does this fall. That said, the names being thrown out as recent commits are macelwain level bad. I'd rather keep the schollie than waste it on some of these talentless stiffs. Flame away fellas.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ive been all in since about 2 weeks of tater's hiring. but im not gonna lie, Im getting a little concerned with the commits we are taking. I appreciate us trying for the big targets and its not lost on me that the deck is somewhat stacked against us, we have to overcome a lot and it will take some time, and that with NIL and recent changes a lot of the big fish will probably wait, especially considering they'll want to see how tater salad does this fall. That said, the names being thrown out as recent commits are macelwain level bad. I'd rather keep the schollie than waste it on some of these talentless stiffs. Flame away fellas.

I feel like he will get some good talent but it does seem familiar that the good ones are considering us and not committing. Hope it changes soon.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Still on board. The only thing I’ll say is I’ve yet to see us land a WR through either recruiting or transfer that definitely trumps a Top 100 WR commit from Orlando that we discarded. I seem to remember someone here that was vocal in his reservations about that move and still see nothing that indicates we couldn’t have kept him and still been fine.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Still on board. The only thing I’ll say is I’ve yet to see us land a WR through either recruiting or transfer that definitely trumps a Top 100 WR commit from Orlando that we discarded. I seem to remember someone here that was vocal in his reservations about that move and still see nothing that indicates we couldn’t have kept him and still been fine.
"Discarded". We still banging this drum? The guy wanted to play for Mullen so he left.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
"Discarded". We still banging this drum? The guy wanted to play for Mullen so he left.

From Nov 27.

"I'm locked in with the Gators man!" Gibson wrote. "Did some thinking and I don’t wanna go anywhere else in the country."

Gibson shared that he intended to assess his options as a recruit this past week shortly after Florida had fired head coach Dan Mullen, although he remained committed to the program during that time. After some thought, Gibson came to the conclusion that UF remains the best option for his college career.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ridiculous. Last time we went down this road BMF quit the sports board, so we'll just let it die here. No one "ran off" or "discarded" Gibson. He changed his mind and left. Good riddance, he's a Mullen-loving baby.

Frankly, any player that ever committed to Dan Mullen should be permanently stricken from the books at UF, like they never existed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Napier obviously didn’t want him, or at least wasn’t sure that he did and asked him to push out signing to Feb, which is completely fine. That’s his call. My point stands that up to this point, we haven’t “replaced” him with anything clearly better. So it remains my lone head scratcher thus far. Should we land a terrific WR class this year, maybe it was the correct move. But again, I still don’t see how having him was any risk, especially given his location.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Napier obviously didn’t want him, or at least wasn’t sure that he did and asked him to push out signing to Feb, which is completely fine. That’s his call. My point stands that up to this point, we haven’t “replaced” him with anything clearly better. So it remains my lone head scratcher thus far. Should we land a terrific WR class this year, maybe it was the correct move. But again, I still don’t see how having him was any risk, especially given his location.

Can we first play a few games?

Just sayin

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ridiculous. Last time we went down this road BMF quit the sports board, so we'll just let it die here. No one "ran off" or "discarded" Gibson. He changed his mind and left. Good riddance, he's a Mullen-loving baby.

Frankly, any player that ever committed to Dan Mullen should be permanently stricken from the books at UF, like they never existed.

We made little effort to reach him(texts only) and absolutely asked him to wait, which we did with quite a few others. As I said, not a big deal. You’re right though, I don’t want to get into a big debate over it and have you end up leaving the sports board too. So we’ll leave it alone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's June.

I fail to see how it being Pride Month has any relevance here.

I’ve said from my opening post that “up to this point” I hadn’t seen it as a productive move and that things could change. I’ll also add that the potential for impact on this season is all but set by now. We landed the recruits from Tx and Cali and then this transfer from AZ. Those are more the gauge of whether or not it was the right move, not so much a ‘23 kid.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I generally agree with the points made above, but I just don't think we're doing that badly with the cards we were dealt by the collapse of the Done Mullet regime, et al. Besides, it took a while to dig ourselves in this deep and it will take a while to finally struggle out of the ditch. This current roster schyttstew has been brewing since the day Urban woke up after the ass whipping we received at the hands of the bammers in the 2008 SECCG and decided he didn't like competing in the SEC quite so much after all. The biggest name in college football, prior to the coronation of Saban, barfed up his gizzard and eventually slunk out of town like he had been ordered to do so by Matt Dillon himself. In terms of national stature and the consistent on-the-field performance that tells the world who we are, we haven't been quite the same since. Just sayin.'

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Again...IMO we'll play better with the talent we have, then we would have with either Butters or Cousin Eddie.

I'd rather be in the position we're in at UF then to have Jimbo at TAMU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I generally agree with the points made above, but I just don't think we're doing that badly with the cards we were dealt by the collapse of the Done Mullet regime, et al. Besides, it took a while to dig ourselves in this deep and it will take a while to finally struggle out of the ditch. This current roster schyttstew has been brewing since the day Urban woke up after the ass whipping we received at the hands of the bammers in the 2008 SECCG and decided he didn't like competing in the SEC quite so much after all. The biggest name in college football, prior to the coronation of Saban, barfed up his gizzard and eventually slunk out of town like he had been ordered to do so by Matt Dillon himself. In terms of national stature and the consistent on-the-field performance that tells the world who we are, we haven't been quite the same since. Just sayin.'

He’s absolutely doing a great job. I don’t think anyone has implied otherwise.

Though, imo, our roster isn’t nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. It’s not UF standards, but we’re still more talented than probably 10 of 12 opponents this season. I think we’ll be fine.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
it took a while to dig ourselves in this deep and it will take a while to finally struggle out of the ditch.
Bust our rut or rust our butt. Any real signs of us rusting yet.?
We've still got AR plus enough WRs & TEs that worked together and are big-time tall.
Also, I think QB Miller will help. At least he won't be a hesitant thrower like EJ.?
Will our OL + RBs gash any.? Quite likely they will ... & be fired up about unleashing that on opponents.
Isn't Nap's LB unit faster and bigger.? And better taught the basics. Doesn't everybody train harder in Napville.?
No reasons for Gator fans to cower or tremble. Look forward to our reawakening those long-ago Fighting Gators who can win even as underdogs. IMO, our guys will be chomping at the bite to clamp down on our confronters.

Think back: this ain't Grantham's defenseless Gators. We are giving the enemy no gimmies no more - making it tuff to score. The mistakes will be theirs, not ours. The cheering will be ours, not theirs ... that is the way to look forward to this upcoming season. GatorNation deserves to enjoy wearing orange & blue glasses.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
He’s absolutely doing a great job. I don’t think anyone has implied otherwise.

Though, imo, our roster isn’t nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. It’s not UF standards, but we’re still more talented than probably 10 of 12 opponents this season. I think we’ll be fine.
Just an observation on the anxiety over some of the types of recruits who are being recruited for '23 or looked at to back-fill the '22 class - as opposed to retaining the receivers that bolted during the transition. Referring to the recent "additions" as McElwain types is not necessarily wrong, but it isn't a glowing expression of extreme confidence either. TBO, the roster does concern me due to the fact that we are right at the total limit for schollies now and we are still apparently struggling to find quality depth at numerous positions. Could that be why we seem to be sorting through the bargain bin at Kohl's for filler material when we would all prefer the latest offerings from Bloomingdales? Asking for a friend.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Just an observation on the anxiety over some of the types of recruits who are being recruited for '23 or looked at to back-fill the '22 class - as opposed to retaining the receivers that bolted during the transition. Referring to the recent "additions" as McElwain types is not necessarily wrong, but it isn't a glowing expression of extreme confidence either. TBO, the roster does concern me due to the fact that we are right at the total limit for schollies now and we are still apparently struggling to find quality depth at numerous positions. Could that be why we seem to be sorting through the bargain bin at Kohl's for filler material when we would all prefer the latest offerings from Bloomingdales? Asking for a friend.
Ironically, receivers is one of the few positions ol' Butters recruited decently . He signed Antonio Callaway, Freddie Swain, Tyrie Cleveland, Kadarius Toney, and Josh Hammond. Kyle Pitts also committed to Butters, though Cousin Eddie was coach when he signed. Of course he had his share of busts and in one case - James Robinson - some bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.