Truth Takes: 2019 O-Line and WR/TE

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:panic:

Last year was the worst OL we will have under this regime.

You honestly think the RBs will average at least what they did last season per carry?

Only Georgia and Miss State averaged more per touch in the SEC and Miss State had a QB that was a big part of that average.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Last years OL was not very talented but they were experienced. This years line appears to be more talented but lack experience. I mean playing together as a unit. It takes time for each to mature physically and time for each individual to play as a unit.

We all know this. I can't figure out why people are setting themselves up for a let down. I could be wrong, but the OL will NOT be strength at the beginning of the season. They may gel toward the end of the season. They should be a strength next season.

Mullen will have to game plan around it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You honestly think the RBs will average at least what they did last season per carry?
Yes, probably sizably more now that people actually fear Franks on those option runs a little.

There's nothing easier to defend that an option play when you don't fear the quarterback at all, ie Leak or Brantley. Early in the season no one feared Frank's either.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last years OL was not very talented but they were experienced. This years line appears to be more talented but lack experience. I mean playing together as a unit. It takes time for each to mature physically and time for each individual to play as a unit.

We all know this. I can't figure out why people are setting themselves up for a let down. I could be wrong, but the OL will NOT be strength at the beginning of the season. They may gel toward the end of the season. They should be a strength next season.

But....this group has had 2 off seasons with Savage and a whole season with Hevsey to understand what he wants. A distinct advantage over last years bunch. IMO

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Yes, probably sizably more now that people actually fear Franks on those option runs a little.

There's nothing easier to defend that an option play when you don't fear the quarterback at all, ie Leak or Brantley. Early in the season no one feared Frank's either.

You mean a LB or DE having to respect the QB could freeze them just that half a second to give the Running back an extra step or two to get an advantageous position? :woohoo::fistbump:

Everything Lagoon said. And recognizing advantages doesn't mean that people think they will be better, but they are advantages.

That strawman argument about people setting themselves up for a let down followed by the "will NOT be a strength at the beginning of the season", can you quote who even believes the line will be a strength? Most people just see that last years line was average and this line can be average to.

I think that also many have agreed that Mullen may have to plan around it, just like he did many, many times last season. INCLUDING at times against Michigan even without their best DL.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
But....this group has had 2 off seasons with Savage and a whole season with Hevsey to understand what he wants. A distinct advantage over last years bunch. IMO
This is a good point. The pundits seem to be unanimous that our lack of O line experience will lead to a big step back, but prior to last season who had much faith in any of our projected starters other than Taylor? With only 6-9 months with Hevesy/Savage they did OK, especially as the season wore on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.