Truth Takes: Miz Zou

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think there are just people who would find fault with the conservative call as it played out or the aggressive play had the freshman QB turned the ball over trying to get the TD. They would complain either way.

It’s either he’s scared money or crazy for going for it in that scenario and doesn’t understand football
As FireFooley says, it's situational football.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This is the sheer genius of Billy Ball. Lower everyone's expectations so far down into the depths of despair that even when we have a big win slip right through our fingers, nobody is upset about it because we are supposed to lose anyway.
In fairness to corch, he's was that way long before simple billy showed up.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Really good review. Key point to me was “Our defense is bad, but when they get stops offense needs to score.” We are consistently inconsistent in so many areas. The youth that makes up this team has not aged well. That speaks, to me at least, as not being forced to grow up under the leadership of the staff. At some point theres got to be less hand-holding and more tough love, foot up the @ss, and “your momma ain’t here!“
One thing I did see on the sideline was Billy giving those players that came off after a mistake a talking to. He didnt look happy. I just saw our team as the one legged man out there in an ass kiccking contest and when Graham got hurt they kept fighting........ I didnt see terrible coaching. I saw an uber young team taking #9 to the very end with lots of freshman making mistakes but never quitting.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What percentage of coaches, when they have a chance to take a lead with a FG and a raw backup QB in the game, aggressively try and score a TD? 1%? 5? I know the defense sucks but Brown has a tendency to chuck it to the other team. To me, there's plenty to criticize Billy about, but that isn't one of the things. If I'm in his situation I probably play for the 3 as well. Had we turned it over there going for a score, the knives would have been out for Billy for taking a dumb chance when he had an easy 3 for the lead.

The defense makes a stop on 4th and 17 and the game is over.
Max Brown career stats at UF

His career passing stats in a Gators uniform are 10 of 12 for an 83% completion rating with an average of 10.6 yards per pass and 0 interceptions. You sure you aren't thinking of Miller here?

I wouldn't have been mad at Napier for trying to get another first down (and a possible TD) instead of running it three times and kicking, as there was just too much time left on the clock, but like you said it's not something to criticize Billy over. Playing zone behind 4 d-linemen who showed all night that they couldn't generate pressure on their own on 4th and 17 is definitely worthy of criticism, and that was on AA.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I did see on the sideline was Billy giving those players that came off after a mistake a talking to. He didnt look happy. I just saw our team as the one legged man out there in an ass kiccking contest and when Graham got hurt they kept fighting........ I didnt see terrible coaching. I saw an uber young team taking #9 to the very end with lots of freshman making mistakes but never quitting.
Agree and saw a more demonstrative Billy, but my question remains “what took so long?” My biggest problems aren’t necessarily the mistakes made, but that they are repeated week to week and the lack of effort and unwillingness to be physical, especially in the secondary that again is every game is maddening. I know from HS days that this has to be demanded, reinforced daily if not minute to minute in practice, and unwillingness to deliver on the field can’t be tolerated. That is a coaching failure to allow that to continue. It will not correct itself.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, even if playing conservative he could have been more creative if not just having wide splits and giving Brown the option to run where there’s grass. Don’t shrink the field horizontally, widen it. And yes, for Gods sake stay in bounds

This. There’s a way to play it safe while still trying to get a first down or score. Read option or a roll out with option to run or pass. Just going fetal position and handing it off 3 times is the issue

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nice work @GatorTruth133. Great points all. Totally agree with the pick off of the Boardingham tip. On the reply, I clearly saw that other player in perfect position to make the int if Arliss hadn’t tipped it to his teammate.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I confess I missed the last 10 minutes of the game so I went back. Billy went for it on 4th and got it. Max running looked good. ETN was the stud. The last drive was impressive and to say shoulda gone for TD they were giving it to the money guy, ETN. What else was there. I guess Max could have thrown or option to run. He drove us to the winning score, Giving up that fourth and very long was the killer. I think the team and coaching gave us all and more than we could expect against a top ten team on the road with all the adversity we had.
No I won't back down, you can tell me just go straight to hell but I won't back down.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good point in that it's yet another game where there's a huge points drought after that first drive. It's baffling. Offense put up nearly 500 yards but could have put up a lot more.
Atleast we know that the scheme is there. Now if the mindset would change, we might be in a different situation next year.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I confess I missed the last 10 minutes of the game so I went back. Billy went for it on 4th and got it. Max running looked good. ETN was the stud. The last drive was impressive and to say shoulda gone for TD they were giving it to the money guy, ETN. What else was there. I guess Max could have thrown or option to run. He drove us to the winning score, Giving up that fourth and very long was the killer. I think the team and coaching gave us all and more than we could expect against a top ten team on the road with all the adversity we had.
No I won't back down, you can tell me just go straight to hell but I won't back down.
“In human history a moral victory is always a disaster, for it debauches and degrades both the victor and the vanquished.”

- H.L. Mencken

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Lets see. Play #9 at their place and its senior day. We have injuries all over the lines. They should have killed us. Freshmen playing 26 graduating seniors. With a minute to go we are winning. He makes clutch long fourth down pass so super kicker wins it. Im amazed our team didnt give up and the young fellas did as welll as they did. Shows me character all over the field and coaching has something to do with that. We are just two playes from having two more wins. These FR are getting great experience. Killer instinct FFS you have to have some depth and experience to finally get to that point. I think playing as hard with so much adversity is a killer instinct. Our boys didnt quit.
Coach, I won't disagree with much of what you said here. But can you not find any issue with game management during the last 2 minutes of the game? With all those young players on defense, yes they are learning, but they are making mistakes. You do not put the game in their hands.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think there are just people who would find fault with the conservative call as it played out or the aggressive play had the freshman QB turned the ball over trying to get the TD. They would complain either way.

It’s either he’s scared money or crazy for going for it in that scenario and doesn’t understand football
Not the TD, the first down. A first down runs the clock out and we kick a field goal to win. As FireFooley discusses there were a number of relatively safe play calls other than running in the strength of their defense. And guess what, barring a turnover, you can still kick a field goal if you don't make the first.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach, I won't disagree with much of what you said here. But can you not find any issue with game management during the last 2 minutes of the game? With all those young players on defense, yes they are learning, but they are making mistakes. You do not put the game in their hands.
They are on the field, they are playing the game....... Who's hands do you put it in? :dunno:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
They are on the field, they are playing the game....... Who's hands do you put it in? :dunno:
For heaven's sake, all MIzzo needed was 30 yards to get in their kicker's range. With our defense, that really wasn't that much of a challenge. So you try for the first down, not necessarily the TD. If you get the first down you run the clock out and you never put it in the defenses hands to get a stop. And guess what, if you don't make it, you can still kick the field goal.

That is understanding the game situation, your team's weaknesses, and your opponent's strengths.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He goes for it on a 4th down with 11 minutes left. Gutsy or dumb call? But we got it so hero. Ends the game with lack of power formation.

The D is more confused than Mr/Mrs Jenner
Good call is my vote

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What percentage of coaches, when they have a chance to take a lead with a FG and a raw backup QB in the game, aggressively try and score a TD? 1%? 5? I know the defense sucks but Brown has a tendency to chuck it to the other team. To me, there's plenty to criticize Billy about, but that isn't one of the things. If I'm in his situation I probably play for the 3 as well. Had we turned it over there going for a score, the knives would have been out for Billy for taking a dumb chance when he had an easy 3 for the lead.

That’s the reason you are aggressive.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Whelp. I have to agree with Coach here. MIZZOU is a really good team. Well coached, experienced, and playing at home. The Gators played with purpose and I think Mertz would have finished with a TD.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Agree and saw a more demonstrative Billy, but my question remains “what took so long?” My biggest problems aren’t necessarily the mistakes made, but that they are repeated week to week and the lack of effort and unwillingness to be physical, especially in the secondary that again is every game is maddening. I know from HS days that this has to be demanded, reinforced daily if not minute to minute in practice, and unwillingness to deliver on the field can’t be tolerated. That is a coaching failure to allow that to continue. It will not correct itself.
Cover 2 this is so spot on. Being a lifelong Lakeland Dreadnaught I know a little about winning football and your point about "it will not correct itself" is brilliant in it's obviousness, yet seems beyond the comprehension of this HC and staff. I was at the Dreadnaught playoff win Friday night and was impressed with the aggressive pursuit of the ball every defensive play and every return by the other squad. Relentless effort ever play. I never see that with this Gator team as evidenced by the 4th and 17 circle jerk.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

I think Brown literally has ZERO interceptions as a Gator. Not sure about HS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.