• Bowtie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Onion

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great brand for everyday office wear and yes, their slim fits choices do save one the added effort of needing to get things tailored once you figure out the best fit.

I haven't worn shirt stays since leaving the military and highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

It's not that I don't appreciate the look (they do provide the aesthetic desired), it's just that it's too uncomfortable and time-consuming for daily wear when a well-tailored shirt and military tuck provide a similar look without the hassle. I'm sure if you got in the habit of wearing them every day, it'd be a different story and take less time--but you get what I'm saying.

Even on the formal occasions where one should consider it (weddings or formal dinners), you usually have a jacket on top anyway that normally covers up the problem.

As you mentioned, it saves from having to have shirts tailored. I get maybe one year at best out of my address shirts before I have a tear in my sleeves, regardless of brand or fit. So it’s illogical for me to pay for tailoring. I also liked their exchange/return policy when I was first trying to figure out what worked best.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mannnnn am I glad I live/work in my world... for "dressy," I wear black shoes, jeans, a black t-shirt, and a dark dark blue cashmere blazer. Done.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I used to wear suits all the time. 3 piece suits to church growing up, then double breasted. Later the 2 piece/3 button suits and then the return to the 2 piece/2 button.

When I worked for a big law firm, I wore custom suits and shirts. The shirts were French cuffs (clipped corner), my initials on the cuffs, no breast pocket.

Then I started wearing bow ties to church because if I didn’t, my baby would strangle me with my long tie when I held him. Very practical.

I quit big firm law and went in-house at a not-for-profit about 12 years ago.

My “uniform” since then has been jeans and a starched, pressed, cotton, long-sleeve, button-down shirt over a white undershirt. The shoes have evolved from oxfords to the “dress” shoes with sneaker soles. I often throw on a sport coat too. When I’m feeling a little pretentious, I’ll stick a pocket square into the sport coat.

I don’t recall the last time I wore a suit for work. It has been a long time. Even if I have to go to court (exceedingly rare), I just replace the jeans with pants and add a tie.

The last suit I bought was a 3 piece.

The biggest clothing change professionally has been with the women. You don’t see as many men in suits but you still see a lot, and even if they aren’t wearing a suit, they’re all in coat and tie. Women used to wear suits, blouses, and pantyhose with closed toe shoes. Not anymore. They show up to court super-casual or sometimes wearing stuff more suited for a night club.

I guess what I’m trying to say is…onion. Definitely onion.

Alex.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Great brand for everyday office wear and yes, their slim fits choices do save one the added effort of needing to get things tailored once you figure out the best fit.

I haven't worn shirt stays since leaving the military and highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

It's not that I don't appreciate the look (they do provide the aesthetic desired), it's just that it's too uncomfortable and time-consuming for daily wear when a well-tailored shirt and military tuck provide a similar look without the hassle. I'm sure if you got in the habit of wearing them every day, it'd be a different story and take less time--but you get what I'm saying.

Even on the formal occasions where one should consider it (weddings or formal dinners), you usually have a jacket on top anyway that normally covers up the problem.
If you ain't wearing a green Nomex suit for office duties, you've picked the wrong profession.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
If you ain't wearing a green Nomex suit for office duties, you've picked the wrong profession.

I'd tell you that I grew up wanting to be a pilot, but wouldn't want your ego to get any bigger or anything... :lol2:

Sadly, I messed up my eyes being rebellious and reading in low light as a kid and aviation wasn't going to be in the cards. It's ok, the Marine Dress Blues are superior to every other military uniform, so all worked out in the end...:grin::stirpot:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I used to wear suits all the time. 3 piece suits to church growing up, then double breasted. Later the 2 piece/3 button suits and then the return to the 2 piece/2 button.

When I worked for a big law firm, I wore custom suits and shirts. The shirts were French cuffs (clipped corner), my initials on the cuffs, no breast pocket.

Then I started wearing bow ties to church because if I didn’t, my baby would strangle me with my long tie when I held him. Very practical.

I quit big firm law and went in-house at a not-for-profit about 12 years ago.

My “uniform” since then has been jeans and a starched, pressed, cotton, long-sleeve, button-down shirt over a white undershirt. The shoes have evolved from oxfords to the “dress” shoes with sneaker soles. I often throw on a sport coat too. When I’m feeling a little pretentious, I’ll stick a pocket square into the sport coat.

I don’t recall the last time I wore a suit for work. It has been a long time. Even if I have to go to court (exceedingly rare), I just replace the jeans with pants and add a tie.

The last suit I bought was a 3 piece.

The biggest clothing change professionally has been with the women. You don’t see as many men in suits but you still see a lot, and even if they aren’t wearing a suit, they’re all in coat and tie. Women used to wear suits, blouses, and pantyhose with closed toe shoes. Not anymore. They show up to court super-casual or sometimes wearing stuff more suited for a night club.

I guess what I’m trying to say is…onion. Definitely onion.

Alex.

It’s funny you mention no breast pocket. I probably haven’t worn a dress shirt with the breast pocket in close to 20 years. Yet companies like Brooks Brothers insist on having them on every shirt even today. I swear they don’t want to sell to anyone under the age of 65.

And, like you I tried getting away from ties when we had our two kids. Stains, wrinkles, strangulation, all of it. But I still had to wear suits and this was right around the time that the suit, white shirt, no tie look seemed to be almost patented by Obama and Hamas. So I went back.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It’s funny you mention no breast pocket. I probably haven’t worn a dress shirt with the breast pocket in close to 20 years. Yet companies like Brooks Brothers insist on having them on every shirt even today. I swear they don’t want to sell to anyone under the age of 65.

And, like you I tried getting away from ties when we had our two kids. Stains, wrinkles, strangulation, all of it. But I still had to wear suits and this was right around the time that the suit, white shirt, no tie look seemed to be almost patented by Obama and Hamas. So I went back.
:lol:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
chop-black.gif
Well not all of us are fortunate enough to have a job like that…at Sprockets apparently.

Kinda the same for me- my customers are very nerdy/geeky and “dressing up” would confuse and frighten them, possibly forcing them back into their SCIF.
So my wardrobe consists primarily of IT tech vendor polo or t-shirts. I usually get those for free, so it’s a very affordable wardrobe.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I rarely wear underwear, and when I do its usually something unusual.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I rarely wear underwear, and when I do its usually something unusual.

I actually don’t wear underwear. I’ve never seen the point. I’m a clean person. These are my parts and my pants. It’s hot enough already. I’m generally in a hurry, so why add a step of fumbling through an extra layer? Give me freedom or give me death.

Plus it was always intriguing to women when they found out. Probably from like 12 years old on and never looked back. Easiest and best decision I ever made.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Only if there are Air Force wings on the left breast. Then it's better than a tailored wool suit from harveyand hudson.
Why wear Nomex in the office? Your Xerox machine prone to flash fires? I always chuckled at AF pilots in Nomex with their cool little scarves/cravattes that would melt to their necks in a fire… like dummy Army guys wearing nylon jungle boots with Nomex… “good luck with those plastic ankles!” :lol:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Why wear Nomex in the office? Your Xerox machine prone to flash fires? I always chuckled at AF pilots in Nomex with their cool little scarves/cravattes that would melt to their necks in a fire… like dummy Army guys wearing nylon jungle boots with Nomex… “good luck with those plastic ankles!” :lol:
Well to be fair, you had to remove the scarves before entering the jet. Also rings and other jewelry. The thing that always amused aircrew were the cotton unit patches sewed to the Nomex bag with Nomex thread. So if the patches were soaked with JP -4 and on fire, the thread would hold them close to your skin.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Plus it was always intriguing to women when they found out. Probably from like 12 years old on and never looked back. Easiest and best decision I ever made.
Ah, the intrigue! As an early adopter of manscaping, I've seen this firsthand in the female species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.