Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I cant think of a single "accessory". Way back in the day, I sorta like watches. I dont wear ties anymore.

I guess it only comes down to shoes and belt.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Copied from TOT:
Despite the obvious disdain for tasteful attire in this thread, I will say getting into a Mess Dress, putting on cufflinks and studs, suspenders and a cummerbund
harks back to a more civilized time when gentlemen were gallant and ladies sublime.
I was about to make my "serious" post when I read this. My Mess Dress Blue uniform was when I started wearing French cuff shirts and cufflinks. I still have a few snazzy dress shirts that I wear cufflinks with (no studs though). It's not a regular thing, but I do think French cuff shirts with cufflinks are pretty cool. Favorite cufflinks are still a pair of solid gold ones of Ataturk scaling the peak of Mount Ararat given to me by the Turkish Minister of Defense.

As for my Mess Dress Blues... I had it custom made by a tailor in Seoul when stationed in Korea as a Lieutenant. He had pictures on the wall of all the famous politicians, Admirals, Generals... he had made suits/uniforms for (I remember Casper Weinberger, Colin Powell, Adm Crowe...). You had an initial measuring, and then I think I had to go back two more times for fitting/final stuff. Complete custom Mess Dress with fancy braiding, two custom shirts for $650... woulda been 3 grand easy in the US at the one place that everyone in the Army ordered from (can't remember the name). To this day, that uniform was hands down the most comfortable clothing I've ever worn... coulda worn it 24/7 doing anything.

I'm guessing B52 went "full retard" though and got the cape to go with his Mess Dress because, well, pilots gonna pilot! :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You gotta give him his props tho; not every guy can carry off the whole cape thing. (Pretty certain I'd look even sillier than I usually do.)
Only person I knew that had one was Abrams... you kinda have to be "that guy" to pull off the cape.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Only person I knew that had one was Abrams... you kinda have to be "that guy" to pull off the cape.
Our next door neighbor growing up was a retired 3*; he was able to pull off the cape thing as well. He was an amazing man and an early hero of mine.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I was about to make my "serious" post when I read this. My Mess Dress Blue uniform was when I started wearing French cuff shirts and cufflinks. I still have a few snazzy dress shirts that I wear cufflinks with (no studs though). It's not a regular thing, but I do think French cuff shirts with cufflinks are pretty cool. Favorite cufflinks are still a pair of solid gold ones of Ataturk scaling the peak of Mount Ararat given to me by the Turkish Minister of Defense.

As for my Mess Dress Blues... I had it custom made by a tailor in Seoul when stationed in Korea as a Lieutenant. He had pictures on the wall of all the famous politicians, Admirals, Generals... he had made suits/uniforms for (I remember Casper Weinberger, Colin Powell, Adm Crowe...). You had an initial measuring, and then I think I had to go back two more times for fitting/final stuff. Complete custom Mess Dress with fancy braiding, two custom shirts for $650... woulda been 3 grand easy in the US at the one place that everyone in the Army ordered from (can't remember the name). To this day, that uniform was hands down the most comfortable clothing I've ever worn... coulda worn it 24/7 doing anything.

I'm guessing B52 went "full retard" though and got the cape to go with his Mess Dress because, well, pilots gonna pilot! :lol:
The Air Force went full retard once and had a uniform for embassy duty or some such. Air Force Mess Dress was a short waist coat (tux) without any of the capes and such. Never owned the tails and cape crap that came with being assigned to DC or embassy duty. Not even sure we have that uniform combo anymore.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I cant think of a single "accessory". Way back in the day, I sorta like watches. I dont wear ties anymore.

I guess it only comes down to shoes and belt.

This wasn't Rev’s best thread. The whole premise is flawed and inaccurate. And now he’s suddenly gone silent since I talked critically about beard grooming.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It takes a little getting used to, but I wore it every day in uniform and would feel naked without it. I have tears in a lot of my dress shirts (and old uniform shirts) from wearing them so much. When I see some dude with his shirt all bunched up around his midsection I just shake my head and think "what an f'ing amateur!"

You can just get it tailored you know...:dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The Air Force went full retard once and had a uniform for embassy duty or some such. Air Force Mess Dress was a short waist coat (tux) without any of the capes and such. Never owned the tails and cape crap that came with being assigned to DC or embassy duty. Not even sure we have that uniform combo anymore.
Same... Mess Dress Blues are waist coat tux.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can just get it tailored you know...:dunno:

Charles Tyrwhitt has 3 slim sizes - slim, extra slim, and super slim (super slim is the slimmest), I wear the super slim and it fits like a glove. Still doesn't prevent the shirt from coming slightly "untucked", causing the shirt to looked 'bunched' around the mid-section...and you know this, the shirt stay keeps it fully tucked at all times, looking sharp. I'll throw this out there - if you're not wearing shirt stays with your dress shirts you are, sir, an amateur!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This wasn't Rev’s best thread. The whole premise is flawed and inaccurate. And now he’s suddenly gone silent since I talked critically about beard grooming.

Well, I'm used to being told that soo...

Beard grooming goes one of two ways: either you don't care let it ride or you meticulously groom and oil it every day. The latter are the types who wear colored suspenders and skinny ties. Probably with cufflinks, sans jacket.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Charles Tyrwhitt has 3 slim sizes - slim, extra slim, and super slim (super slim is the slimmest), I wear the super slim and it fits like a glove. Still doesn't prevent the shirt from coming slightly "untucked", causing the shirt to looked 'bunched' around the mid-section...and you know this, the shirt stay keeps it fully tucked at all times, looking sharp. I'll throw this out there - if you're not wearing shirt stays with your dress shirts you are, sir, an amateur!

Charles Tyrwhitt is the only dress shirt I wear. Incredible quality for the price point. They actually recently removed the super and replaced it with just extra. And I’m assuming you’re talking about collar stays? If so, again you are on point. CT makes it easy in that regard as well. I always pictured Law in a baggy yellowish dress shirt with a tie and no collar stays. :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Charles Tyrwhitt is the only dress shirt I wear. Incredible quality for the price point. They actually recently removed the super and replaced it with just extra. And I’m assuming you’re talking about collar stays? If so, again you are on point. CT makes it easy in that regard as well. I always pictured Law in a baggy yellowish dress shirt with a tie and no collar stays. :lol:
Well, I was talking about shirt stays (not collar), but you're correct on the collar inserts as well. Another thing - if wearing a suit and tie, it's imperative to wear an undershirt (not a wife-beater either). I see dudes w/ sweaty armpits and just shake my head, thinking "another amateur".

I have three CT suits and about a half dozen dress shirts (I don't wear a suit and tie to work anymore, so I haven't bought from there in a while). There were two locations in the DC area, so it's nice to be able to walk in and try stuff on too. There's not a store anywhere near me now.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Great brand for everyday office wear and yes, their slim fits choices do save one the added effort of needing to get things tailored once you figure out the best fit.

I haven't worn shirt stays since leaving the military and highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

It's not that I don't appreciate the look (they do provide the aesthetic desired), it's just that it's too uncomfortable and time-consuming for daily wear when a well-tailored shirt and military tuck provide a similar look without the hassle. I'm sure if you got in the habit of wearing them every day, it'd be a different story and take less time--but you get what I'm saying.

Even on the formal occasions where one should consider it (weddings or formal dinners), you usually have a jacket on top anyway that normally covers up the problem.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Their poplin shirts are a must-have for wearing dress shirts in FL. Have not found any other brand at their price point and quality that offers a shirt that can stay light and breathable in the looong summer months.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great brand for everyday office wear and yes, their slim fits choices do save one the added effort of needing to get things tailored once you figure out the best fit.

I haven't worn shirt stays since leaving the military and highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

It's not that I don't appreciate the look (they do provide the aesthetic desired), it's just that it's too uncomfortable and time-consuming for daily wear when a well-tailored shirt and military tuck provide a similar look without the hassle. I'm sure if you got in the habit of wearing them every day, it'd be a different story and take less time--but you get what I'm saying.

Even on the formal occasions where one should consider it (weddings or formal dinners), you usually have a jacket on top anyway and that normally covers up the problem.

It is a pain in the butt to put them on (that's why I have tears in a lot of my shirts, hurrying to put them on a ripping the shirt). I would usually get my work outfit ready the night before so it wasn't an issue in the morning when I'm usually in a rush. I left Treasury almost a year ago, I've probably worn a suit and tie twice since then. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator