• Bowtie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Onion

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
As promised in another thread, what's everyone's favorite men's accessory(ies).

Some have proffered suspenders.
Others have said cufflinks.

There's also the classic tie.
Bowtie.

Discuss.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Mostly, this debate started as a discussion between "bringing back" suspenders or cufflinks--so whatever one's actual response is, make sure to sound off on which one you think is better.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
While I did miss "Ham sammich" my immediate thought for the best option for this poll is "woman." So I'mma gonna go a head and answer, actual conservative women who don't have nor ever had a penis.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve worn a tie every day for 20+ years, so I’d have to say that. Had two different girlfriends in fashion that often bought very expensive ones for me, so some I’ve kept shoe boxes full of them just because of the name and value they carry. As I stated yesterday, never wore a bow tie.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mostly, this debate started as a discussion between "bringing back" suspenders or cufflinks--so whatever one's actual response is, make sure to sound off on which one you think is better.

Not really an equitable debate. Cuff links are still in common use, even often when they shouldn’t be(no coat for instance), unlike suspenders which have gone away entirely. Apples mangos.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Copied from TOT:
Despite the obvious disdain for tasteful attire in this thread, I will say getting into a Mess Dress, putting on cufflinks and studs, suspenders and a cummerbund
harks back to a more civilized time when gentlemen were gallant and ladies sublime.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I have to wear a tie for work most days of the week, so that's the one I ended up going with; but in terms of the original debate: I'd say cufflinks are better than suspenders (but yes, I definitely agree hipsters and those trying too hard wear them both to stand out).

Here's a good example of why: my first pair of cufflinks were ones my grandfather gave me when I graduated law school. He got them from his grandfather when he graduated law school and they were Prussian coin cufflinks that had been brought over from Prussia by the first generation patriarch (who was a Prussian cavalry officer). I very rarely wear them for obvious reasons, but cufflinks can be passed along as gifts and heirlooms in a way that suspenders can't.

When done right, they stand out in a positive way and it can be a nice conversation starter in professional settings (especially with foreigners).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I used to iron Seedy’s pants and shirts every week for him but he came home 3 years ago to flatten the curve and hasn’t left. Now he doesn’t even wear shoes, much less cuff links or an onion.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
One 'accessory' that I use every time I wear a tucked in dress shirt (in or out of uniform) is shirt stays (I used the kind that wrap around your foot). I'm fairly lean and hate when a dress shirt starts coming less tucked and looks 'bunchy' around the mid-section. A shirt stay is an absolutely necessary accessory for me.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
One 'accessory' that I use every time I wear a tucked in dress shirt (in our out of uniform) is shirt stays (I used the kind that wrap around your foot). I'm fairly lean and hate when a dress shirt starts coming less tucked and looks 'bunchy' around the mid-section. A shirt stay is an absolutely necessary accessory for me.
Surprised @soflagator has weighed in with a mansier.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
One 'accessory' that I use every time I wear a tucked in dress shirt (in or out of uniform) is shirt stays (I used the kind that wrap around your foot). I'm fairly lean and hate when a dress shirt starts coming less tucked and looks 'bunchy' around the mid-section. A shirt stay is an absolutely necessary accessory for me.
I had to look this up. It’s says “comfy” but I highly doubt it.

1686069067321.jpeg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I had to look this up. It’s says “comfy” but I highly doubt it.

View attachment 58226
It takes a little getting used to, but I wore it every day in uniform and would feel naked without it. I have tears in a lot of my dress shirts (and old uniform shirts) from wearing them so much. When I see some dude with his shirt all bunched up around his midsection I just shake my head and think "what an f'ing amateur!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.