Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Onion

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Why wear Nomex in the office? Your Xerox machine prone to flash fires? I always chuckled at AF pilots in Nomex with their cool little scarves/cravattes that would melt to their necks in a fire… like dummy Army guys wearing nylon jungle boots with Nomex… “good luck with those plastic ankles!” :lol:
Better still was seeing all those pilots around Pentagon City at lunchtime walking around in their flight suits when the nearest military runway was miles away.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'd tell you that I grew up wanting to be a pilot, but wouldn't want your ego to get any bigger or anything... :lol2:

Sadly, I messed up my eyes being rebellious and reading in low light as a kid and aviation wasn't going to be in the cards. It's ok, the Marine Dress Blues are superior to every other military uniform, so all worked out in the end...:grin::stirpot:
I agree about the Marine dress blues, but it wasn’t until so went to a birthday ball that I noticed the enlisted dress blues looked better than the officers.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Did y'all really call the B-52 'the jet?'

So cute!
Yep. When I first certified as Aircraft Commander, I went to the Wing Commanders office for THE interview. On the coffee table in the outer office was a three ring binder with the accident reports of every B-52 Class A accident, in history, entitled "Fly the Jet." Under the watchful eye of the Wing King's secretary I read each and every page, about an hour and a half of light reading. Then and only then was I ushered into the holy of holies and granted the extreme responsibility of strapping on the free worlds most advanced strategic bomber, launching into the wild blue yonder and sometime later safely returning my charges to terra firma. OBTW. By what moniker did you refer to the airframes you flew?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Why wear Nomex in the office? Your Xerox machine prone to flash fires? I always chuckled at AF pilots in Nomex with their cool little scarves/cravattes that would melt to their necks in a fire… like dummy Army guys wearing nylon jungle boots with Nomex… “good luck with those plastic ankles!” :lol:
Oh, the other reason, as espoused by a General Officer I knew, was that wearing the bag obviated the discipline of the belt. Hard to show dunlap's disease in coveralls.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. When I first certified as Aircraft Commander, I went to the Wing Commanders office for THE interview. On the coffee table in the outer office was a three ring binder with the accident reports of every B-52 Class A accident, in history, entitled "Fly the Jet." Under the watchful eye of the Wing King's secretary I read each and every page, about an hour and a half of light reading. Then and only then was I ushered into the holy of holies and granted the extreme responsibility of strapping on the free worlds most advanced strategic bomber, launching into the wild blue yonder and sometime later safely returning my charges to terra firma. OBTW. By what moniker did you refer to the airframes you flew?
We referred to the Harrier as "The Devil's Vagina."

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
One 'accessory' that I use every time I wear a tucked in dress shirt (in or out of uniform) is shirt stays (I used the kind that wrap around your foot). I'm fairly lean and hate when a dress shirt starts coming less tucked and looks 'bunchy' around the mid-section. A shirt stay is an absolutely necessary accessory for me.

Not for me.

1686160305698.png

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Red Ball-Lifter T.

Never leave home without it!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Their poplin shirts are a must-have for wearing dress shirts in FL. Have not found any other brand at their price point and quality that offers a shirt that can stay light and breathable in the looong summer months.

I've got a white and light blue linen shirts from CT, they great shirts but wrinkle like hell. I've noticed they now have a wrinkle free version. I don't wear the shirts often enough, so I haven't justified in my mind if I should upgrade to the wrinkle free. I usually let 4 or 5 (or more) shirts pile up and then get out the iron and starch and iron the shirts while watching something on tv, but it's still a pain.

I wouldn't wear those either....especially with cutoff dress socks! lol (I wear the kind that wrap around your feet)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've got a white and light blue linen shirts from CT, they great shirts but wrinkle like hell. I've noticed they now have a wrinkle free version. I don't wear the shirts often enough, so I haven't justified in my mind if I should upgrade to the wrinkle free. I usually let 4 or 5 (or more) shirts pile up and then get out the iron and starch and iron the shirts while watching something on tv, but it's still a pain.

I don’t think there’s even a price difference in the non-iron anymore, fwiw. I’ve never liked wearing non-iron and have tried to avoid them because they’re really not good for you. But they definitely do make it a lot easier to have pressed shirts. Of course, so does having a wife, but we’re gonna put that aside for a moment.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think there’s even a price difference in the non-iron anymore, fwiw. I’ve never liked wearing non-iron and have tried to avoid them because they’re really not good for you. But they definitely do make it a lot easier to have pressed shirts. Of course, so does having a wife, but we’re gonna put that aside for a moment.

I’m not a wealthy man, but I do pay a dry cleaners to launder and press (medium starch) my shirts. They throw in the button repair for “free”.

It makes a big difference, especially if you aren’t wearing a coat.

With all due respect to your wife’s ironing skills, this is the way.

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

episode 2 jedi GIF by Star Wars

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

I get the non-iron CT shirts and they hold up pretty well--usually can get 2-3 wears out of them before taking to the dry cleaners to press/light starch and they don't wrinkle much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator