UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great players USUALLY make sorry ass coaches. Larry Bird being one of the few exceptions. Look at every great coach, at any sport, at the higher levels. Most everyone was a below average player. Coaching and playing are two different animals.

Good timing with the firing. Do it early, let the shock wear off, identify recruits who may be wavering, let the HC come in and smooze them back to the fold, tell the parents and recruits "we weren't going to lie to you to get you signed and then fire the position coach", yada yada yada. Also get a jump start on replacements.

Our DL underwhelmed and our secondary just sucked. 4th and 17 with not only a win on the line, but a bowl game on the line??? Secondary. Don't care who we recruit if they aren't where they are supposed to be. Look at fsu game. Secondary late hit on QB with game on line, DL spitting on fsu player, BOTH plays extending drives that resulted in points. Game changers, not in a good way. No discipline.

Plenty of stink on this coaching staff but I personally would not take a position with UF as I wouldn't have my professional reputation associated with this ****show.

I said the same thing to a couple of friends. Billy fired the two coaches whose players made the two most bone headed plays in the FSU game.

Similar to nearly every game this season, there were many mistakes made by coaches and players but somehow we could have very well won the game without those two mistakes in particular.

I am happy to finally see something that at least resembles accountability from the program and I am anxious to see more changes. Billy is probably entering his last season as our coach but staff changes make a turnaround possible. If he kept the current staff in place he was almost definitely going to be fired next season.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I absolutely hate having to say this, but that defensive tackle from Jacksonville last year that signed with uga had a very eye popping statement. Paraphrasing to a degree, but basically said the UF coaches talked about a whole lot of nothing. Cliches and corporate buzz words work for a time. But at some point there has to be tangible substance as well. And time is running out. Quickly.

Deion Sanders and Colorado is Exhibit #1.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You may be looking at turnover margin, where we finished 102nd. Our total takeaways was 7 for the season which ranked 132nd out of 133 teams.

Margin. Your stat is even more telling.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure we all know that UGA DB coach will get the Syracuse job and Raymond will go to Georgia. That's the kind of thing that happens to gator fans lol.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Pretty sure we all know that UGA DB coach will get the Syracuse job and Raymond will go to Georgia. That's the kind of thing that happens to gator fans lol.
I was thinking the same thing. And I'm sure he will be very good there. For whatever reason, previously good positional coaches go to UF to die.

In other cases like Nord he was DOA.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The secondary was abysmal and the high school level of play cannot be defended. Good secondary coaches would have turned that around and actually produced a secondary that had a clue on stopping people. I expect better secondary play next year regardless of who we get for coaches it can't get much worse. D-line pretty much sucked most of the time but a glimmer of hope there. The O-line suffered from personnel loss to the portal (WHY?), injuries and less than stellar coaching from 2 staffers. Hoping for better line play, but this one could get worse. We have good skill people if we can keep them and hang onto our recruits.

So I'm going with Sunshine, Unicorns and Rainbows. 8+ wins next year.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The secondary was abysmal and the high school level of play cannot be defended. Good secondary coaches would have turned that around and actually produced a secondary that had a clue on stopping people. I expect better secondary play next year regardless of who we get for coaches it can't get much worse. D-line pretty much sucked most of the time but a glimmer of hope there. The O-line suffered from personnel loss to the portal (WHY?), injuries and less than stellar coaching from 2 staffers. Hoping for better line play, but this one could get worse. We have good skill people if we can keep them and hang onto our recruits.

So I'm going with Sunshine, Unicorns and Rainbows. 8+ wins next year.
i-like-the-way-you-think-sam-kinison.gif

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Maybe just maybe hiring your buddies who are young 30 year olds as DC isn't a good idea?

Let's face it. BN is trying to slap flex tape on a leak. If you ever used that, you know it works like crap.

Images Repair GIF by getflexseal

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe just maybe hiring your buddies who are young 30 year olds as DC isn't a good idea?

Let's face it. BN is trying to slap flex tape on a leak. If you ever used that, you know it works like crap.

Images Repair GIF by getflexseal
He's banked over $14M so far ...his personal finance acumen is off the charts.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
10 pages is too much to catch up on, but this timing suggests these two were pissed to be surpassed by a 29 year old and/ or there is a rift/personality conflict, not just performance based. Otherwise, this occurs, as Ox observed, after ESD.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for the update. I can now sleep soundly knowing that a 17 or 18 year old kid is not going to change his mind over the next month or so.
1701188080876.png
The NIL is the wild card now. As long as our current guys and the new 4 and 5 star guys are getting their "quan", they will stick. At least until they see the new hires. Then our deep pocket Boosters may need to ante up again. Very simple, money talks and bull**** walks"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator