Undisputed G.O.A.T. Thread

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LeBron hasn't done shcit since this thread was created. I actually edited my post that had him as the GOAT. I'm pretty embarrassed with that one
Le'Bron has very important opinions.......... Just ask him.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016

Eddy Merckx on a bicycle. He dominated races like no one else. Won 11 Grand Tours. Three World Championships. Won every one day Monument at least twice (Milan-San Remo 7 times, Liege-Bastogne-Liege 5 times). Twice he won the Overall classification, the Points classification, and the Mountain classification in a single Grand Tour. Held the one hour speed record for decades.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the gap between Tom Brady and a few others is that big of a gap. Is definitely the best ever I just don't think the gap is that large.

Jerry Rice is the best receiver ever and it's a huge gap. Maybe number two is Steve Largent? Or Randy Moss?

Muhammad Ali was great but I don't know if the gap is that large with him either. Is he that much better than Frazier? Foreman?

Yes to Bolt, Jordan, Federer, and Phelps. Best by a country mile.

Babe? What was he? 200lbs? I don't think he could play in today's game. I don't think you can have a best ever in baseball. Maybe by position?
So a couple things have changed. Really goes to show how fickle time can be.

Federer is definitely not best by a country mile. It’s really a three headed monster at the top and it could be anybody. No goat in that discussion IMO.

Jerry Rice is still the best ever – but today’s receivers are so much better than any other era. I think he eventually gets overtaken.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So a couple things have changed. Really goes to show how fickle time can be.

Federer is definitely not best by a country mile. It’s really a three headed monster at the top and it could be anybody. No goat in that discussion IMO.

Jerry Rice is still the best ever – but today’s receivers are so much better than any other era. I think he eventually gets overtaken.

It’s really hard to do any of these comparisons. So much changes in even short spans of time with regard to training, recovery, and attaining optimum performance. Looking at tennis, even Federer didn’t have what guys today have(at least not his entire career). And that’s a 20 year difference. What would Sampras and/or Agassi look like today? NFL RBs are used completely differently now, so that’s not fair. I think WRs are better now, but the game has evolved into one that’s probably a lot more WR friendly, so how would Rice look today? So even if passed by, is it truly apples to apples? It’s all really difficult to compare.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I think WRs are better now, but the game has evolved into one that’s probably a lot more WR friendly, so how would Rice look today? So even if passed by, is it truly apples to apples? It’s all really difficult to compare.

Rice wasn't the biggest or fastest in his era either, but the 2 things he consistently did better than anyone else were: 1) his route-running and 2) catching everything thrown at him.

He would always create separation from corners with his route-running and I think that would easily apply today. Keep in mind: corners were allowed FAR more contact in Rice's era...and he *still* got open. Toss in the gloves that WRs can wear these days where the ball can basically stick to your hands??

Rice would still be dominant year after year IMO.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Rice wasn't the biggest or fastest in his era either, but the 2 things he consistently did better than anyone else were: 1) his route-running and 2) catching everything thrown at him.

He would always create separation from corners with his route-running and I think that would easily apply today. Keep in mind: corners were allowed FAR more contact in Rice's era...and he *still* got open. Toss in the gloves that WRs can wear these days where the ball can basically stick to your hands??

Rice would still be dominant year after year IMO.

I think you’re misreading my point. I’m not disputing Rice’s place. I’m saying that even if he did get bumped by someone on the modern era, it wouldn’t be a truly fair comparison because of the very reasons you point out.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s really hard to do any of these comparisons. So much changes in even short spans of time with regard to training, recovery, and attaining optimum performance. Looking at tennis, even Federer didn’t have what guys today have(at least not his entire career). And that’s a 20 year difference. What would Sampras and/or Agassi look like today? NFL RBs are used completely differently now, so that’s not fair. I think WRs are better now, but the game has evolved into one that’s probably a lot more WR friendly, so how would Rice look today? So even if passed by, is it truly apples to apples? It’s all really difficult to compare.

The only exception to that rule that stands out (to me) is boxing. I think the guys that during Ali’s day would wipe the floor with anybody today.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The only exception to that rule that stands out (to me) is boxing. I think the guys that during Ali’s day would wipe the floor with anybody today.

I don’t even know any boxers anymore. Maybe that’s why I don’t.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I think you’re misreading my point. I’m not disputing Rice’s place. I’m saying that even if he did get bumped by someone on the modern era, it wouldn’t be a truly fair comparison because of the very reasons you point out.

I didn't think you were tbh--was just answering your hypothetical about how he'd fare in today's league...and honestly, still think he'd put up pretty dominant numbers.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
One other thing about Rice was his insane commitment to the work ethic.
He was a student and a master of the game at the same time.
Rice kept himself in such good shape, and because of that he stretched his career out to 20 seasons.

Who can say that we have any current mid-career WRs who are projected to go 20 productive years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.