Urban Meyer stepping down after Rose Bowl

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Two different perspectives of the same convo.

Carter: So what's your view on what Day's done under you?
Meyer: He's elite, he's ready. He's probably the best OC I've ever had, he's that good.
Carter: Even better than Mullen or Herman?
Meyer: Even better than them.

Barnett: Meyer claims Mullen and Herman couldn't wear Day's jockstrap.

3. Carter said it all and from what I have seen there is not a single sound bite of Meyer saying it. Who knows what Meyer actually said ... its all paraphrasing from Carter. To get panties in anus over this is more telling about the one reading and not the one so called speaking.

Just my opinion.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Actually your comment about some folks needing professional help is what made me think of it. Some folks are so invested in their memory of Urban Meyer and the championships he won while he was here that it makes them incapable of believing or even processing the fact that he's a lying enabler of domestic abuse. They can't accept that he damaged the program horribly and embarrassed himself and UF over the year he did nothing but fake illness and audition the Dazzler for his job.

Granted, the mistakes that were made after he left were 100% on Foley. I appreciate the crystal. I do not appreciate the character of the man who won them. And I refuse to lionize him or look back on him fondly as a person.
I have never once claimed Meyer is some kind of saint or is a man of high character. I think he's a liar and a cheater that will do everything to win just like all the other coaches in the NCAA (including ours), but his drama-queen persona just makes it more in-your-face. I have absolutely no interest in meeting the man and don't really care about his personality.

And don't make me laugh on the faux outrage with the "wife beater enabler" stuff. If the exact same thing happened when he was here at UF, you would either defend it or blow it off as nothing but a witch-hunt. And we by-God DID blow off all the arrests, etc, while he was here because he was winning, which is what he was hired to do. That's what fans do - overlook crap in order to win. Remember on the GSMB when one of our rivals would throw up that arrest list and we'd wring our hands and defend our coach? Let's not be hypocrites.

People can hate all they want, I just want them to be honest about things. And very few of you are honest about the situation.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite Urban Meyer lore on this board is from the conspiracy theorists who believe that he faked an arachnoid cyst and resigned and took an ESPN job under an elaborate ruse to take over the OSU HC job from Tressel, who was a successful coach whose scandals were well ahead of him. The number of people he would've had to employ to pull off this masterful scheme would have been comparable to the alleged moon landing conspiracy. They would've included his entire family, several shady doctors on the take at Shands Teaching Hospital, ESPN, Terrelle Pryor and the guy who bought stuff from Terrelle Pryor, and the OSU administration, among many, many others.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Back then, no one wanted to believe it. You know how many times I heard the term "snake oil salesman". Yes, I defended him...religiously. Looking back, you don't want to believe or admit it. Now? I was wrong. Am I comfortable with how easily I overlooked it all? No. Winning does seem to blur the lines.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I have never once claimed Meyer is some kind of saint or is a man of high character. I think he's a liar and a cheater that will do everything to win just like all the other coaches in the NCAA (including ours), but his drama-queen persona just makes it more in-your-face. I have absolutely no interest in meeting the man and don't really care about his personality.

And don't make me laugh on the faux outrage with the "wife beater enabler" stuff. If the exact same thing happened when he was here at UF, you would either defend it or blow it off as nothing but a witch-hunt. And we by-God DID blow off all the arrests, etc, while he was here because he was winning, which is what he was hired to do. That's what fans do - overlook crap in order to win. Remember on the GSMB when one of our rivals would throw up that arrest list and we'd wring our hands and defend our coach? Let's not be hypocrites.

People can hate all they want, I just want them to be honest about things. And very few of you are honest about the situation.

I can't really argue with anything in this post, so I won't. It looks like we agree much more than we disagree. Not going to pull a byrd and argue semantics.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
My favorite Urban Meyer lore on this board is from the conspiracy theorists who believe that he faked an arachnoid cyst and resigned and took an ESPN job under an elaborate ruse to take over the OSU HC job from Tressel, who was a successful coach whose scandals were well ahead of him. The number of people he would've had to employ to pull off this masterful scheme would have been comparable to the alleged moon landing conspiracy. They would've included his entire family, several shady doctors on the take at Shands Teaching Hospital, ESPN, Terrelle Pryor and the guy who bought stuff from Terrelle Pryor, and the OSU administration, among many, many others.

I think that puts you in the conspiracy theorist about conspiracy theorist pile. I can't believe anyone actually believes or has argued what you propose. Self admittedly, I aint been around here long enough to say you aren't correct ... but ... that sounds a lot like your interpretation of what others might have said versus what they actually said.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the first place, denying that he's not a great recruiter is plainly BS. He's been in the top 5 almost every year since Florida. As far as a game manager, winning 91% is all I need to see. Now you even criticize (backhandedly) him for choosing to coach at Florida and OSU. You may have forgotten what he did at Utah and that directional school in Ohio before he ever got the opportunity to coach at Florida. You my friend, have a deep seated bias that has clouded your objectivity..

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Surpassed only by the decision to have Harvin feign a high ankle against FSU, thus removing him from the game, and then have him miss the SECCG in order that he could put him in a boot and protect his good name against a drug suspension.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017

Honestly, Meyer is both a liar and a very good coach. However I wonder how many of us would have made the deal that for two Natty's we would have to endure a decade of mediocrity.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, Meyer is both a liar and a very good coach. However I wonder how many of us would have made the deal that for two Natty's we would have to endure a decade of mediocrity.
Foley is to blame for the lost decade, not Meyer.

Would I sign up all over again to have Urban Meyer succeed Ron Zook? Let me think about that a few minutes and get back to you.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Foley is to blame for the lost decade, not Meyer.

Would I sign up all over again to have Urban Meyer succeed Ron Zook? Let me think about that a few minutes and get back to you.
Say what you want about Zook he was a terrible on the field coach. He was one hell of a recruiter. I believe there were many coaches that could have won that NC with the talent he left.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Say what you want about Zook he was a terrible on the field coach. He was one hell of a recruiter. I believe there were many coaches that could have won that NC with the talent he left.
You actually think Meyer played caddy to the 2006 title? That's a new one on me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In a nanosecond. No other major college athletic department has had a run like we had. Two football and two basketball titles in a span of 24 months.

Think about that.

It'll never be repeated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.