Venting Thread: Billy is proud of Kirby

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
BN isn’t going anywhere for at least several years. He’s done many positive things along with some head scratchers. Let’s hope he makes the necessary adjustments/moves in the off season. If he does, he might make it. If not, he’ll suffer the same fate as the last 3 morons. I’m pulling for him.
MJM totally agree with you on this. In the short term, I still feel that he's a guy that will make changes. Not sure what, if much of anything he could do in mid-season with this team. As much as I can stand Gary Danielson at times on the broadcast, he nails it yesterday. UF just needs better players. But I'm still pulling for him to succeed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I said in the box I think Napier could go 3-9 next season and still not get fired. He was hired with a long-term vision of a rebuild, and right or wrong, Stricklin is going to allow him to do it.

If he ends up an utter failure, he'll get fired like all the others. I am not convinced in the slightest that the Napier you are looking at now will be the Napier when he actually gets a team he wants around him. I could be dead wrong about that, time will tell. Maybe he'll just turn out to be a lousy coach. Losing sucks, losing is terrible, but after all these years I'm not punching holes in walls anymore. The talent difference (particularly on the lines) yesterday was obvious, and that's painful.

I hated Mullen from day 1, he was such an arrogant prick he made it hard to root for him. I like Billy a lot, and hope he's successful.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJM totally agree with you on this. In the short term, I still feel that he's a guy that will make changes. Not sure what, if much of anything he could do in mid-season with this team. As much as I can stand Gary Danielson at times on the broadcast, he nails it yesterday. UF just needs better players. But I'm still pulling for him to succeed.
I don’t look for any major changes the remainder of this season. It is what it is. Hopefully we can somehow manage to finish strong, get a bowl bid and close out with a solid recruiting class.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, under the circumstances I thought those in the box were overall well behaved, significantly better than I expected. Your benevolent dictator is proud of you.

@cover2 is still lurking around here and I'd love to lure him back to posting, at least a little.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, under the circumstances I thought those in the box were overall well behaved, significantly better than I expected. Your benevolent dictator is proud of you.

@cover2 is still lurking around here and I'd love to lure him back to posting, at least a little.
The box is not for the faint of heart on game day. It’s not even safe when we’re blowing someone out, much less getting our asses kicked. I pop in and out on game days most of the time, but even I don’t care for the BS from the usual suspects.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The box is not for the faint of heart on game day. It’s not even safe when we’re blowing someone out, much less getting our asses kicked. I pop in and out on game days most of the time, but even I don’t care for the BS from the usual suspects.
Definitely. Gotta have thick skin or a well stocked liquor cabinet.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I said in the box I think Napier could go 3-9 next season and still not get fired. He was hired with a long-term vision of a rebuild, and right or wrong, Stricklin is going to allow him to do it.

If he ends up an utter failure, he'll get fired like all the others. I am not convinced in the slightest that the Napier you are looking at now will be the Napier when he actually gets a team he wants around him. I could be dead wrong about that, time will tell. Maybe he'll just turn out to be a lousy coach. Losing sucks, losing is terrible, but after all these years I'm not punching holes in walls anymore. The talent difference (particularly on the lines) yesterday was obvious, and that's painful.

I hated Mullen from day 1, he was such an arrogant prick he made it hard to root for him. I like Billy a lot, and hope he's successful.
This could possibly turn into a Harsin situation .But I do think you’re correct. It’s scary stuff and Billy will get his three seasons to stink it up .

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This could possibly turn into a Harsin situation .But I do think you’re correct. It’s scary stuff and Billy will get his three seasons to stink it up .
I'm pretty sure Harsin is gone after this season, but the main reason is that they are getting a new AD, who is going to want to hire his own guy.

Maybe you're right, Billy gets fired after year 3. I guarantee you the program is going to be in far better shape than it was after the Chimp left, after Butters left, and after Mullen left.

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
...the entire fan base needs to take a giant deep breath and wait until AT LEAST the end of year two to start to call for his head. We sound like morons rn.

We have no choice but to wait. I think most Gators get that.

I was one of quite a few on here who were really critical of this hire before it happened... original handle was "Thought Criminal" (who??) but I screwed up the login and ended up with an old profile. Whatever. Grumbler fits the mood.

Napier has fulfilled every concern we had before his hire. Uninspiring offense, insistence on calling his own plays, game management, tendency to play close games even against inferior talent, etc.

Napier fans will say he's bUilLDinG a ProGrAm and #iNFrAsTrUcTuRe, but what CEO gets credit for increasing costs with an "army" of assistants and failing to deliver results? Yes, it's early but the signs are too obvious to miss. Which one in this army is responsible for telling him you don't run out the final two minutes of the first half in a shootout against LSU? Who tells him you don't run up the gut on 3rd and 8 repeatedly? Which army cadet makes sure we get McLain?

We needed a CEO to build a program. But we didn't need another coach with a massive blind spot like Muschamp's refusal to fix the offense and Mullen's refusal to fire Grantham.. The longer Napier's insists on calling his own plays, the shorter his stay in Gainesville will be.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As for the original subject of this thread, keep something in mind: Napier LOVES his fellow coaches. He loves coaches in general. He thinks football coaches are the bees knees, one big brotherhood. He grew up with his dad as a coach, and his brothers are also coaches. He loves these clinics where all these coaches get together and talk about their styles and techniques (Butters or Mullen never would have been caught dead at one of these). You are NEVER, EVER going to see him show any kind of bad blood with another coach, or say anything but nice things about another coach. He has total respect for the coach on the other side. Get used to it. It's another reason why high school coaches love the guy, because he shows affection and respect for them as one his own, while someone like Mullen looks down his nose at them. It absolutely helps the recruiting aspect.

Someone else was complaining that he isn't reaming players asses on the sideline after they screw up. He's not that kind of coach either, so quit expecting to see it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As long as we keep plucking from the Saban tree we're going to have to accept the occasional tip of the cap to the people he grooms.

It doesn't both me, although I do understand how it may bother others. There is only one Spurrier, a guy who liked to torture his adversaries while dissecting them. And unfortunately, that ship has long since sailed. We'll need to learn the art of killing 'em with kindness.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
BN isn’t going anywhere for at least several years. He’s done many positive things along with some head scratchers. Let’s hope he makes the necessary adjustments/moves in the off season. If he does, he might make it. If not, he’ll suffer the same fate as the last 3 morons. I’m pulling for him.

I had the same hope for Chump, Mac, and Mullen

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
As long as we keep plucking from the Saban tree we're going to have to accept the occasional tip of the cap to the people he grooms.

It doesn't both me, although I do understand how it may bother others. There is only one Spurrier, a guy who liked to torture his adversaries while dissecting them. And unfortunately, that ship has long since sailed. We'll need to learn the art of killing 'em with kindness.

Seems safe to say that Ugay got the one successful assistant Saban had.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

I don’t like Kirby, not in the slightest. I think he’s a smug, arrogant, butter-toothed c0cksker. I do, however, respect the fact that he’s as close to a Spurrier as they’ll ever have there. Not from a coaching standpoint, but from a killer instinct standpoint. He HATES UF. The same way SOS hated Georgia and for the same reasons that SOS hated Georgia. Meyer also made it his life’s work to beat the piss out of and embarrass our rivals every opportunity he was afforded to do so. Billy seems like he’s more interested in glad-handing and circle jerking with all of his coach buddies. Maybe that’s just how the game has changed, and maybe behind closed doors something is different, but I just don’t see it. Guys like Smart, Heupel, and even Drinkwitz ffs have no problem winning with a chip on their shoulder. Hell, even Mullen made it obvious his disdain for our rivals.

I guess it is what it is at this point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems safe to say that Ugay got the one successful assistant Saban had.

That right there may be the greatest testament to his success, the whole being that much greater than the sum. Followed a close second by his willingness to adapt and change. If I were you, Billy, I'd take note.

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
I still think he makes more wholesale changes if AR wasn’t from Gville, and we’d get at least a fair look at his offense.
This may be true, and if it is, don't you think it's a problem? I want a cold blooded coach who would sit Hurts for Tua if it helped the team.

That's not saying I think AR should be sitting... I would bet the chances of AR succeeding in another offensive system are much higher than another QB succeeding in Napier's system.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t like Kirby, not in the slightest. I think he’s a smug, arrogant, butter-toothed c0cksker. I do, however, respect the fact that he’s as close to a Spurrier as they’ll ever have there. Not from a coaching standpoint, but from a killer instinct standpoint. He HATES UF. The same way SOS hated Georgia and for the same reasons that SOS hated Georgia. Meyer also made it his life’s work to beat the piss out of and embarrass our rivals every opportunity he was afforded to do so. Billy seems like he’s more interested in glad-handing and circle jerking with all of his coach buddies. Maybe that’s just how the game has changed, and maybe behind closed doors something is different, but I just don’t see it. Guys like Smart, Heupel, and even Drinkwitz ffs have no problem winning with a chip on their shoulder. Hell, even Mullen made it obvious his disdain for our rivals.

I guess it is what it is at this point.
Great post. Billy has no fortitude. Cheap shots on our guys including multiple on the QB and all is well . No biggie in his mind .Billy is the type of guy that would stand there and do nothing if a bum off the street grabbed his wife’s ass on their way to dinner . Hell he may even tell the bum how proud he is of him . That combined with poor strategy on offense is why he is better off as a ragin Cajun sunbelt coach .

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
As for the original subject of this thread, keep something in mind: Napier LOVES his fellow coaches. He loves coaches in general. He thinks football coaches are the bees knees, one big brotherhood. He grew up with his dad as a coach, and his brothers are also coaches. He loves these clinics where all these coaches get together and talk about their styles and techniques (Butters or Mullen never would have been caught dead at one of these). You are NEVER, EVER going to see him show any kind of bad blood with another coach, or say anything but nice things about another coach. He has total respect for the coach on the other side. Get used to it. It's another reason why high school coaches love the guy, because he shows affection and respect for them as one his own, while someone like Mullen looks down his nose at them. It absolutely helps the recruiting aspect.

Someone else was complaining that he isn't reaming players asses on the sideline after they screw up. He's not that kind of coach either, so quit expecting to see it.

Too many here want a Spurrier clone, complete with a never ending supply of hilarious zingers for rivals. The problem with that is the astronomically impossible odds that we’ll ever see one at UF or any other school, for that matter. God broke the mold after the HBC was born.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I still think he makes more wholesale changes if AR wasn’t from Gville, and we’d get at least a fair look at his offense. I’ve been as tough on BN as anyone here, but he was put in a tricky spot. Everyone assumes, for some odd reason, that a kid with exactly 2 other SEC offers(uga, VU) has to be great and it’s everyone around him that’s the problem.

To be clear, I’d still be ok with some changes on offense. I just think it goes beyond that.
I haven't commented on this recently, but AR needs to be benched. He's a liability out there. He's mentally and physically fragile. And he's not a great passer. I agree in that BN inherited a tough situation talent wise.

Now that doesn't answer questions about no changes on defense, benching AR, etc.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AR is the least of our problems. I’m not sure we score more than 3 without him yesterday.
He doesn’t have a QB coach and is foolishly given two options against 5 DB frequently . He would be great under a competent football coach .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator