Virginia Tech drooling over Todd Grantham as head coach

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Their current HC is underperforming based on the standard Frost set. And even if he was winning more, he's just shy of 600lbs. Between Covid and the heat, it's just a matter of time.
Isnt that guy like 38-40?

He may reach 800 pounds if he survives long enough.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Whatever. Atrocious colors.
Tell me about; I had two older sisters go there and one of them for grad school as well. I've seen more than my fair share of that combo. The orange by the way isn't even really orange. It's a rust like color that Hokies call "burnt orange."

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think VT is about as passionate as any program in the SEC

I've enjoyed my trips to Lane Stadium. But, personally, I wouldn't put them in "SEC passion level" category. I would agree that they're right there with FSU after Clemmy as tops of the ACC. Assuming Emperor Blackface ever deigns to allow us to attend football games again, I'll go to Blacksburg with more of an open mind. I can say the campus is beautiful.

There is going to be another round of conference realignment as TV contracts expire over the next couple of years. I would like to see the SEC land in VA and NC and Tech and NC State seem to be the best chances to move - per the post above. Still, a very long shot, IMO, especially if ND bites the bullet and joins the ACC.

Oh, and f*ck both of you for disagreeing with me. That is all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Tell me about; I had two older sisters go there and one of them for grad school as well. I've seen more than my fair share of that combo. The orange by the way isn't even really orange. It's a rust like color that Hokies call "burnt orange."

I went to the '94 Gator Bowl when it was played in the Swamp between VT and tennessee, really just hoping to watch the vols lose. Hokie fans were extremely pleasant, some of the best I've ever encountered. But I remember just seeing their colors and thinking they were even worse in person. Unique, I guess, I'll give them that.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Beamer's first six years he went 24-40-2. Can you imagine any program in the country being that patient with a coach today?

Not a one. Literally.

And check out Tom Landry's start in 1960 with the Cowboys. No way he survives in today's game, yet he went on to become one of the greatest HCs in the history of the sport.

We live in crazy times.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I went to the '94 Gator Bowl when it was played in the Swamp between VT and tennessee, really just hoping to watch the vols lose. Hokie fans were extremely pleasant, some of the best I've ever encountered. But I remember just seeing their colors and thinking they were even worse in person. Unique, I guess, I'll give them that.
Beautiful campus; ugly colors. And yes, nice fans.
My son by the way loved his visit there and gave it strong consideration before "committing" to UF. Surprisingly, Mrs. G. went on that trip and was strongly encouraging him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not a one. Literally.

And check out Tom Landry's start in 1960 with the Cowboys. No way he survives in today's game, yet he went on to become one of the greatest HCs in the history of the sport.

We live in crazy times.
You mean in times where employers want their employees to perform quickly for a multi-million dollar salary? Oh the humanity!

Tom Landry was making a janitor's salary for the Cowboys in 1960. He needed a second job to pay his electric bill.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've enjoyed my trips to Lane Stadium. But, personally, I wouldn't put them in "SEC passion level" category. I would agree that they're right there with FSU after Clemmy as tops of the ACC. Assuming Emperor Blackface ever deigns to allow us to attend football games again, I'll go to Blacksburg with more of an open mind. I can say the campus is beautiful.

There is going to be another round of conference realignment as TV contracts expire over the next couple of years. I would like to see the SEC land in VA and NC and Tech and NC State seem to be the best chances to move - per the post above. Still, a very long shot, IMO, especially if ND bites the bullet and joins the ACC.

Oh, and f*ck both of you for disagreeing with me. That is all.

Don't get me started on the racist Governor Blackface Coonman.

The tobacco road schools (UNC, WF, and Duke) will never leave the ACC, neither will UVA. I'd say Clemson wouldn't either (and USC would fight them joining the SEC). But NC State would be fair game - they'd be a similar add as Arkansas, Missouri, and USC.....and it would give us the state of NC within the SEC footprint. And, of course, I've already said VT would be a good add. That would put the SEC in all of the 'southeastern' states and the TV contract would crush it.

I need to get to VT for a game. I have a HS friend (from Florida) that lives in Franklin, TN. His son is a walk-on at VT now.

And I wasn't disagreeing with you...you're just wrong!! :)

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mean in times where employers want their employees to perform quickly for a multi-million dollar salary? Oh the humanity!

I see your point and agree with you. Expecting immediate results is the tradeoff to become a millionaire overnight. But, how many Beamers and Landrys have been suffocated with a pillow in the crib of immediate expectations? We'll never know.

The Urbs to Texas thing last week with the salary he'd command and some announcements about NBA guys signing $300M contracts got me thinking once again how out-of-whack and disconnected from sanity sports compensation has become. It is literally obscene. Topic for a whole 'nother thread.....

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I need to get to VT for a game. I have a HS friend (from Florida) that lives in Franklin, TN. His son is a walk-on at VT now.

It is a very beautiful campus in one of my favorite parts of the country. The reason I live here is the moderate seasons (save the humidity in summer) and the proximity to the mountains and ocean. We actually had snow showers all morning yesterday. It was pretty to watch and it didn't stick. Blacksburg is within spitting distance of some of the best motorcycling in the world, IMO. When you go, take some time to walk the campus. The architecture of many of the buildings is stunning - most of the rock hewn from the nearby mountains, if memory serves.

you're just wrong!!

Let me know if you go. Maybe I can throw my leg over the bike, meet you out there for the game and tell you "f*ck you for disagreeing with me" in person. :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Urbs to Texas thing last week with the salary he'd command and some announcements about NBA guys signing $300M contracts got me thinking once again how out-of-whack and disconnected from sanity sports compensation has become. It is literally obscene. Topic for a whole 'nother thread.....
It's not disconnected from sanity at all if those players or coaches are bringing that money in to their organizations through excellent performace. Simple capitalism for the entertainment industry. I could make a great argument that someone like Nick Saban is vastly underpaid for the revenue he brings to that school. Judge Judy makes $44 million a year and brings in one hell of a lot more than that in advertising revenue. The Chiefs just gave Mahomes a $500 million contract, and if he continues to perform the way he has so far, he'll be worth every cent.

Where it bites you is when you're tied into a contract for a guy that is no longer performing and bringing in money for you. I think the argument is the structure and lengths of contracts - THAT I think has gotten out of whack when you're talking about huge buyouts, etc.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not disconnected from sanity at all if those players or coaches are bringing that money in to their organizations through excellent performace. Simple capitalism for the entertainment industry. I could make a great argument that someone like Nick Saban is vastly underpaid for the revenue he brings to that school. Judge Judy makes $44 million a year and brings in one hell of a lot more than that in advertising revenue. The Chiefs just gave Mahomes a $500 million contract, and if he continues to perform the way he has so far, he'll be worth every cent.

Bottom line is I would take the money if I were in their position, too. But ultimately, who is paying these salaries? We the people are in the form outrageous stadium ticket prices, concessions and parking fees. Most families can no longer afford to attend the games. But that's not the worst of it. The lion's share of revenue comes from TV contracts and those are paid for with ad revenue and jacked up cable subscription rates. And who pays for those?

I don't blame Mahomes for taking that money. And I get why the Chiefs agreed to pay it. But there is something at least a slightly askance in a society that pays jocks so much. And in the end, his salary isn't just materializing from thin air, it is being paid for by all of us that either go to the games, tune in on TV while dutifully paying our cable bill while buying the products from companies that advertise on their broadcasts.

Where it bites you is when you're tied into a contract for a guy that is no longer performing and bringing in money for you. I think the argument is the structure and lengths of contracts - THAT I think has gotten out of whack when you're talking about huge buyouts, etc.

I agree completely, especially with coaches. The coaching profession has become the poster child for the glorious rewards of failing upward. It needs to stop because paying someone to fail then go away after failing sends all of the wrong messages. But this feature coaching contracts is likely here to stay. If one institution does it, then everyone will. And an effort to get all ADs together to agree not to add buyouts to contracts would likely face legal challenges.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The lion's share of revenue comes from TV contracts and those are paid for with ad revenue and jacked up cable subscription rates. And who pays for those?
Opt out.

But, yeah, tv money was the driving force. In the 90s only teams with money were the top10-15 schools. Now Indiana and Gamecucks get a big fat slice of conference TV money and can pay 4-6 mil for a coach and several hundred millions for facilities.

Kinfuchky looks like a UAE palace compared to our ghetto ymca facilities.

Last edited:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

It's like every time I become a vegetarian because eating meat is cruel to animals. It lasts maybe 3 days before I am elbows-deep in a 32 oz. ribeye.

I am too weak to be principled. It is much easier to point, complain to anyone who will listen about all that is wrong with society then sit back in smug satisfaction at how much better my intentions are than yours. :rotfl:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It is a very beautiful campus in one of my favorite parts of the country. The reason I live here is the moderate seasons (save the humidity in summer) and the proximity to the mountains and ocean. We actually had snow showers all morning yesterday. It was pretty to watch and it didn't stick. Blacksburg is within spitting distance of some of the best motorcycling in the world, IMO. When you go, take some time to walk the campus. The architecture of many of the buildings is stunning - most of the rock hewn from the nearby mountains, if memory serves.

"Moderate seasons" and "snow showers" are mutually exclusive.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Let me know if you go. Maybe I can throw my leg over the bike, meet you out there for the game and tell you "f*ck you for disagreeing with me" in person. :lol:

I went to a JMU game a few years ago, the game that ESPN did Game Day from (when they were ranked #1). It was a lot of fun, really enjoyed it and did some tailgating before hand. I have a cabin in Shenandoah County, near Mt. Jackson (just off exit 273 on 81). We get out there about 12 times a year (rent it on airbnb when we're not using it). Love the Shenandoah Valley!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Isnt that guy like 38-40?

He may reach 800 pounds if he survives long enough.
yep, I was in college when he was OUs QB under stoops and they held fsu offense and their vaunted heisman QB Chris 'cant find my' weinke scoreless in the bcs title game.

Fsu had absolutely nothing for oklahoma's defense and it was glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.