Was Ohtani Throwing Games?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why would this guy throw away his career? He was already filthy rich, it's not like he needed the money.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Confused Pete Rose GIF by WWE

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I read the article and it offers no evidence of any kind. Just some people expressing their typical "Flat Earth" ideas.

I'm not defending the player, it's just way too early to be making unsupported claims.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. This looks bad. That's a lot of smoke if what that guy tweeted was true. All of it should be easy to verify by investigators.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I don't think the Dodgers would give 700 mil to a guy whose performance would be considered bad enough to throw a game.

I have no problem with players betting on games as long as they bet on their team to win and cover the spread. Pretty well eliminates the need to throw a game or shave some points.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
tell me you didnt read the article, without telling me you didnt read the article.
Read the whole thing, the question remains. Normally guys who throw games do it for a big payoff. This guy has never needed the money, and knew he was going to get a record-setting contract. If he actually did this, he may be the dumbest mofo who ever played sports.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Read the whole thing, the question remains. Normally guys who throw games do it for a big payoff. This guy has never needed the money, and knew he was going to get a record-setting contract. If he actually did this, he may be the dumbest mofo who ever played sports.
They say gambling is an addiction. I call it a weakness but either way it would explain it. I have no pity for him and they should treat him just like Rise if they can prove it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They say gambling is an addiction. I call it a weakness but either way it would explain it. I have no pity for him and they should treat him just like Rise if they can prove it.
It still seems odd. Why bet on baseball, a no-no, when there’s so many other things out there to bet on? I’ve never really been a gambler, but for addicted gamblers isn’t that it about the whole thrill of the action? If you’re cheating to win, it seems like it’s more about the money, only he doesn’t need the money. Definitely still a bunch of pieces missing from this puzzle. (Like you, I really have no pity for him. He was given a golden ticket and may have flushed it away.)

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Dude wore red for years with the angels. Red is a filthy dwag color. Of course he did it. He should be banned and forced to watch hours of Napier tapes.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im disappointed in the thread title :Japanese player pulls a kamikaze on career …is just not something we’re likely to get another shot at.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
It still seems odd. Why bet on baseball, a no-no, when there’s so many other things out there to bet on? I’ve never really been a gambler, but for addicted gamblers isn’t that it about the whole thrill of the action? If you’re cheating to win, it seems like it’s more about the money, only he doesn’t need the money. Definitely still a bunch of pieces missing from this puzzle. (Like you, I really have no pity for him. He was given a golden ticket and may have flushed it away.)

If the word out there is correct, throwing baseball games makes some sense. From what I've heard on 92.9 The Game late last week, he bet big on soccer games and was indebted to his So Cal bookie to the tune of $20-$25 million. Throwing the baseball games is possibly his way of recouping his losses using a different bookie overseas to minimize the risk of getting caught. If he's betting this much money, he's obviously got a serious addiction and addicts have been known to make really stupid decisions.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If he in fact did this, absolutely the dumbest thing ever and he has a serious addiction to throw it all away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator