We just keep on getting better and better

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • B

Votes: 102 68.9%
  • C

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No, Ox, we blew it by not being Clemson out of the gate.
I've said it from the date of the hire dozens of times....
Win us 7 or 8, get us bowl eligible, and put together a top 10 recruiting class.
Somehow and sadly I don't think Clemson fans would be alright with those expectations...

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Win us 7 or 8, get us bowl eligible, and put together a top 10 recruiting class.
Somehow and sadly I don't think Clemson fans would be alright with those expectations...

Clemson was not Clemson out of the gate. His 2010 third season as HC he was 6-7.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

They would if they were coming from our vantage point. It's all relative, right?

You gotta start from somewhere. Unfortunately, there aren't any 40-year-old Spurriers to go around anymore, so you start by planting a seed and grow a little week to week.

leogator

May 5, 2018
It has been obvious to me that every team we played has stacked the box and dared Franks to throw. What can we do to counteract it? What kind of play calls? Let's help Dan! :)

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We're arent good, but we are getting better, and seem to be playing with some confidence and having some fun out there. I like that. Even if it's only against bad competition so far, big plays are now starting to appear again. I like that. Defense is improving and playing hard. I like that.

Offense, even against sorry competition, has a very difficult time putting together a successful drive unless we start in the opponents territory. I don't like that. Defense while agressive, leaves guys open deep and leaves the middle of the field wide freaking open during blitzes. I don't like that.

We beat the snot out of the buttchuggers. I like that.

We got our :kiffin: pushed in against KY jelly. I don't like that.

UT and fsu are awful. I like that.

Uga is infinitely more talented than us. I fckn hate that.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
No one is worse than Driskel, Treon, Morningwood, and Brantley.
I agree. Franks is actually a step up to those folks, at least at this point. I'd still like to see Trask a bit, though.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We're arent good, but we are getting better, and seem to be playing with some confidence and having some fun out there. I like that. Even if it's only against bad competition so far, big plays are now starting to appear again. I like that. Defense is improving and playing hard. I like that.

Offense, even against sorry competition, has a very difficult time putting together a successful drive unless we start in the opponents territory. I don't like that. Defense while agressive, leaves guys open deep and leaves the middle of the field wide freaking open during blitzes. I don't like that.

We beat the snot out of the buttchuggers. I like that.

We got our :kiffin: pushed in against KY jelly. I don't like that.

UT and fsu are awful. I like that.

Uga is infinitely more talented than us. I fckn hate that.
Durty, I insanely agree with every point and wished I had posted it exactly the same.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Good win which l expected, but didn’t expect that margin of victory. O-line looks much improved which is huge. Franks had his moments but mostly is still Franks. Trask’s pass actually looked pretty good (did he throw more than one? I was grilling by the end).

Enjoyed the hell out of it and had a good time in the game thread. Hopefully people can stop calling the team trash now. This team is full of guys who will play on Sunday.

Still expect 8 wins, never changed that. Unfortunately still expect 4 losses every year as long as Mullen is in charge.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Clemson was not Clemson out of the gate. His 2010 third season as HC he was 6-7.
I think it's fair to consider he also built his team and a great part of the national perception playing in the ACC. fsu did that under Bowden when the rest of the ACC was generally a cakewalk they just had to get up for the Florida game. Win that and they looked like heros. I would like to see Clemson in the SEC West for a couple seasons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It has been obvious to me that every team we played has stacked the box and dared Franks to throw. What can we do to counteract it? What kind of play calls? Let's help Dan! :)
Complete passes and throw TDs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Screw Tennessee. Rocky Top was never in this game that they thought they could win and this was at their place and the house was cleared out in the third quarter.

That is all the analysis I need.

Suck it, Tennessee.
I really like this dude.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Under Chimp and Butters, the offense NEVER got any better. Never. It was the same week after week after week after week after week. It was a hopeless feeling.

Yup. This. I really couldn't figure out how to express it but this is what my eyes tell me. There was not any growth - never any changes to the scheme. Nothing. Just flat out stupid, clueless, ineptitude. If anything we would often go backwards as soon as defenses realized what we couldn't do but kept trying to.

We're not making monster steps, but there are some steps every week. That is as good as we can expect with the holes that we have. We certainly don't look like Tennessee who appears on the verge of imploding and having the coach completely lose the team the first half of season one.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo was 9-5 year one at Clemson and 6-6 year 2. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm sure Clemson fans expectations year three were a lot different than they are this year a decade in. Damn it now you have me defending Mullin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Win us 7 or 8, get us bowl eligible, and put together a top 10 recruiting class..
I'm really more concerned about the recruiting class.

Letting the recruits see some FUN and some improvement seems to be critical to getting a good class though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo was 9-5 year one at Clemson and 6-6 year 2. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm sure Clemson fans expectations year three were a lot different than they are this year a decade in. Damn it now you have me defending Mullin.
I think Dabo took over a 0-11 team from Brad Scott and had SOS in his back yard immediately. Not quite the same.

Plus being 9-5 in the ACC isn't saying much.

As bad as we are, we are nothing like how bad Clemson was for two decades. We have terrible holes in the roster and several dozen FIU players on this team, but we are still overall, a top 20 roster.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
A good team plays to its ability. A good team limits mistakes like penalties and turnovers. A good team plays with intensity and beats a big rival, bad team or not, by 26 in its own crib.

There is nothing relatively speaking about this team to suggest it is not good. What it is, is malnourished from a personnel perspective. That's not Mullen's fault at this juncture.

You and I and everyone else will have one potential beef going forward. Not enough great athletes. We aren't there yet. Mullen is building a buzz in the meantime, and from that could come recruiting success. You ultimately need something in your resume to sell. The results from games like this in front of a national TV audience help do the trick.

A great post.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I think Dabo took over a 0-11 team from Brad Scott and had SOS in his back yard immediately. Not quite the same.

Plus being 9-5 in the ACC isn't saying much.

As bad as we are, we are nothing like how bad Clemson was for two decades. We have terrible holes in the roster and several dozen FIU players on this team, but we are still overall, a top 20 roster.
Agreed, which is why comparing our expectations to Clemson's is way off-base. Our roster is simply not there. We got pushed around by Kentucky. Sure there's improvement, that's a positive, but there's a long way to go.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, which is why comparing our expectations to Clemson's is way off-base. Our roster is simply not there. We got pushed around by Kentucky. Sure there's improvement, that's a positive, but there's a long way to go.
We knew there was a long way to go.

This is the worst roster since 1980, and IMO worse. We have never in my life resorted to stealing players from FIU (and not even their best).

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You honestly think UT was a real team??? Seriously?
And yes the offense is the same thing we've seen for years....We hit a long play with a broken tackle every now and then....live off the success of turnovers/field possession by ST a couple times a game.....Newsflash buddy....that don't work against real teams.....I want to see 4 or 5 sustained drives in EVERY game at the minimum....I want to see a team go for the kill when up by 23 and handed 2 gifts right after halftime....that's what GOOD teams do.

Wanting that in game 4 or 5 from a program that was a dumpster fire for 6-8 years is unrealistic. What you should be monitoring is whether this team is showing flashes of improvement each week. Are they progressing. Are they buying into the system. Not are they able to be Alabama by the 4th game of the season in a new offense and defense with the SAME players as before.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wanting that in game 4 or 5 from a program that was a dumpster fire for 6-8 years is unrealistic. What you should be monitoring is whether this team is showing flashes of improvement each week. Are they progressing. Are they buying into the system. Not are they able to be Alabama by the 4th game of the season in a new offense and defense with the SAME players as before.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Now I'm wanting Bama like results......I'll tell ya some of you guys really need to read what I put out there. We've won 3 games against crappy teams that gave up 5,6 or 7 gifts each in the form of turnovers, busted coverages on long plays or ST miscues...Newsflash even average teams are not going to give us that kind of a head start...
I don't think wanting to see 4 or 5 sustained offensive drives(I'm not even saying we have to score on that many...just pick up a few 1st downs in succession) a game is asking too much......I know it's been a while for some of us but these things actually still happen in CFB by about 80 or so teams...I swear, I see it every weekend....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator