Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Technically the right decision is to fall down... then you can take a knee and the game is over with 0% chance of losing.

Realistically you score. If you can't protect a 2 score lead with that little time you deserve to lose.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Technically the right decision is to fall down... then you can take a knee and the game is over with 0% chance of losing.

Realistically you score. If you can't protect a 2 score lead with that little time you deserve to lose.

I'm really surprised no one seems to consider the comparison of kneeling inside the 10 three times (with no real collisions) vs sending our paper-thin D back onto the field to defend the 2-minute offense (potentially a dozen or more plays). One of our better LBs is still nursing a hammy and a starting DT left the game. What could POSSIBLY go wrong??? Oh, but scoring makes the fans feel better, got it.

I don't blame a freshman for reaching pay dirt, but I also don't blame Mac for noticing how much time was left on the game clock. Wasn't everyone here pissed at his clock management before Franks threw it all the way to Cleveland vs the hillbillies?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really surprised no one seems to consider the comparison of kneeling inside the 10 three times (with no real collisions) vs sending our paper-thin D back onto the field to defend the 2-minute offense (potentially a dozen or more plays). One of our better LBs is still nursing a hammy and a starting DT left the game. What could POSSIBLY go wrong??? Oh, but scoring makes the fans feel better, got it.

I don't blame a freshman for reaching pay dirt, but I also don't blame Mac for noticing how much time was left on the game clock. Wasn't everyone here pissed at his clock management before Franks threw it all the way to Cleveland vs the hillbillies?
Good point on the D. I really didn't think much about that. So, if the reason he wanted the RB to kneel was to save the D then I concur with McYets reasoning. If the reasoning is to be "safe" in case of fumble and on-side kick and bomb and onside kick and bomb and 2 point conversion??? Then he's not the coach we are looking for.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
:wtf:

From what I understand it was MAC HIMSELF who whined about the TD in the post-game interview. Not kids watching on TV or inept announcers. Are we not allowed to discuss it?

Jesus, your condescending post really pisses me off. You're like Sas on steroids.

He didn't bring it up or whine about it. He answered a question.

As others have noted - he answered the question he was asked. He didn't bring it up or whine. Not that Ox cares, but his instigation of topics, regardless of stating his own feelings on the subject, really pisses me off. He is so disingenuous just to get the damn clicks. Then he acts surprised when it runs for 10+ pages.

The issue was the tantrum Mac had on the sidelines during or immediately after.

We can play semantics along with imaginumbers all day. It wasn't a tantrum, at least compared to what my kids do every week, or I show the wife on weekends. Tantrums, by our definition, are a lot noisier and without sense of reason...mostly just emotions. However, even I caught it during the live broadcast and was laughing at him insisting the runner should have gone down.

For one - I didn't see the RB coach anywhere in those shots, so whoever claimed the RB coach was being 'berated' was both wrong on the who, and the what.

For two - it does show some level of football knowledge for a coach to say we should have gone down and run out the clock. However, his mouthing it off to a ball boy was caught on camera, inspiring talking heads to talk about nothing, and he earned the post game question.

==========

Bottom line, Davis is a freshman. I'll not criticize a freshman for breaking loose on a 4th down play and running for the endzone - ever. A junior or senior with some coaching and experience, maybe they are smarter, but a freshmen who has busted his butt all game long and just converted a fourth down to win the game...go ahead, you earned it.

Personally, I say take the points. I don't care how tired the defense has gotten for the last 2 min of the game, or how well their QB had been slicing us up. At that point in the game, I had confidence in my defense riding the wave of that score and shutting down Vandy. I have no belief at all that Vandy could have scored a TD in that last 1:38, much less scored two TDs.

In the short impact - team feels good for overcoming and winning more than a squeaker or with a last minute miracle. It helps with team emotion going forward, provides teachable moments for the squad moving forward with confidence rather than feeling like they could/should be 0-3 or 0-4.

In the bigger picture - nobody is going to care. What will be referenced is that we've won a game by more than a touchdown, we had a running game, we had a coach confident to go for it on 4th downs, a lot, and the team came through for him. Those 4th down calls weren't by a lack of faith in our defense to hold up, but confidence in our offense to perform and convert.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yes, because once in the victory formation, the shotgun snap/center qb exchange becomes infallible, because it is a victory formation after all. With 1:40, while the other team has three timeouts.

For all your assumed football knowledge, you blew it with the 3 timeouts. Zambo clearly shows the obvious that ALL of us knew - Vandy was out of timeouts. Also, in your own statement, I have to think you're trolling because the victory formation is NOT done in a shotgun with risk of flinging the ball over the QBs head - it is an under center snap where the QB shuffles backward with the ball before taking a knee. This alone, makes me really want to believe you are trolling to try and extend the life of the thread. Is Ox paying you or something?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
11 pages?

:what:

Well, you know how slow it gets and any stupid topic gains unnatural legs during the off season. Seriously, the next head coach and his 2018 recruiting class can't get here soon enough.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As others have noted - he answered the question he was asked. He didn't bring it up or whine. Not that Ox cares, but his instigation of topics, regardless of stating his own feelings on the subject, really pisses me off. He is so disingenuous just to get the damn clicks. Then he acts surprised when it runs for 10+ pages.

We can play semantics along with imaginumbers all day. It wasn't a tantrum, at least compared to what my kids do every week, or I show the wife on weekends. Tantrums, by our definition, are a lot noisier and without sense of reason...mostly just emotions. However, even I caught it during the live broadcast and was laughing at him insisting the runner should have gone down.

For one - I didn't see the RB coach anywhere in those shots, so whoever claimed the RB coach was being 'berated' was both wrong on the who, and the what.

For two - it does show some level of football knowledge for a coach to say we should have gone down and run out the clock. However, his mouthing it off to a ball boy was caught on camera, inspiring talking heads to talk about nothing, and he earned the post game question.

==========

Bottom line, Davis is a freshman. I'll not criticize a freshman for breaking loose on a 4th down play and running for the endzone - ever. A junior or senior with some coaching and experience, maybe they are smarter, but a freshmen who has busted his butt all game long and just converted a fourth down to win the game...go ahead, you earned it.

Personally, I say take the points. I don't care how tired the defense has gotten for the last 2 min of the game, or how well their QB had been slicing us up. At that point in the game, I had confidence in my defense riding the wave of that score and shutting down Vandy. I have no belief at all that Vandy could have scored a TD in that last 1:38, much less scored two TDs.

In the short impact - team feels good for overcoming and winning more than a squeaker or with a last minute miracle. It helps with team emotion going forward, provides teachable moments for the squad moving forward with confidence rather than feeling like they could/should be 0-3 or 0-4.

In the bigger picture - nobody is going to care. What will be referenced is that we've won a game by more than a touchdown, we had a running game, we had a coach confident to go for it on 4th downs, a lot, and the team came through for him. Those 4th down calls weren't by a lack of faith in our defense to hold up, but confidence in our offense to perform and convert.
Who do you think he was telling, he should be on the ground? The ball boy? If true, we got bigger problems than I thought.

If we could score points and had an offense in the top 20, I'd agree with Mac. His lack of killer instinct is my issue, not that it is the safer thing to do.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well, you know how slow it gets and any stupid topic gains unnatural legs during the off season. Seriously, the next head coach and his 2018 recruiting class can't get here soon enough.
I
Im almost ready for a uniform thread after this...........

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not that Ox cares, but his instigation of topics, regardless of stating his own feelings on the subject, really pisses me off. He is so disingenuous just to get the damn clicks. Then he acts surprised when it runs for 10+ pages.
Didn't realize you were so angry at me. Why can't you and I be pals?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I don't think the kid made the wrong decision, but correct on that. I remember when a Philadephia running back in 2007 broke thru the dallas defense holding a slim lead and stop and knelt at like the 3 yard line. Game was over, two kneels downs later. Everyone praised the RB for the heads up decision.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I don't think the kid made the wrong decision, but correct on that. I remember when a Philadephia running back in 2007 broke thru the dallas defense holding a slim lead and stop and knelt at like the 3 yard line. Game was over, two kneels downs later. Everyone praised the RB for the heads up decision.

If Westbrook scored, I would've lost my fantasy game that week. It was that close. It was either Sunday or Monday night football and he was the last active player between both owners. Those last few seconds were quite the emotional roller coaster ride! I could hear my opponent screaming in agony from 600 miles away!

Had fun for a few years, but what a time suck...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no zero percent chance of losing. This is a silly narrative. Have you SEEN our QB play and center exchanges. They dont become ZERO percent just because it is a victory formation. That is toolbaggery.

The percentage of failed snaps doesnt change just because it is a Victory Formation as someone seems to think.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The percentage of failed snaps doesnt change just because it is a Victory Formation as someone seems to think.
Of course it does, just like the percentage of onside kicks depends highly on whether its a surprise onside or a suspected onside. They are really two different plays. In the V form, the ONLY critical aspect of the play is the exchange, so the center and QB can concentrate entirely on a clean exchange. On a regular play where you are trying to advance the ball, the focus is on a million other things besides the exchange. To think that there is no difference in the percentage of botched snaps is ludicrous.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He should have punted.
Will-Muschamp-Smiling.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it does, just like the percentage of onside kicks depends highly on whether its a surprise onside or a suspected onside..
Right. But I wasnt the one claiming that I knew "the stats" or pulling 10% and 25% out of my azz.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

==========

Dead on.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
This thread needs to be sent to the dungeon, not for the content, but that it was allowed to run this long without a ham sammich option for a poll!
Could not agree more. Get rid of this dog...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator