What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams? (Poll!)

What should happen with the College Football Playoff?

• Leave it the $%@# alone, it's good enough like it is.

• Keep it at four teams, but change the criteria for getting in.

• Expand it to 8 teams.

• Expand it to 16 teams.

• Eliminate the CFP and go back to #1 vs. #2.

• Something else, which I will explain it my response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Irrevocable Gator. That has legal implications.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
So ur not a Gator fan. Got it.
That's correct. I am a Heat fan, a Dolphins fan and a Marlins fan. Pretty embarrassed about the latter two at the moment, but not the first. And no, like I said, I'm not a Gator "fan," I am a Gator. The distinction is that unlike the three professional teams I follow, I do not have the option of choosing a different university with which to associate myself. It's far too late for that. Not that I'd want to, anyway.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do you think teams that "get hot and win it all" don't truly deserve their trophies? Were you upset in 2007 when the 18-0 New England Patriots got knocked off in the Super Bowl by the 13-6 Giants.

I’m an Eagles fan, so yes. Extremely mad. I also have Phin blood in me, so the thought of pulling for NE was nauseating in its own right. That Giants team was garbage and had no business winning. That said, that is the NFL. It’s the way it goes and part of what makes that sport interesting.

As a fellow Heat fan, I’m sure you loved the finish to the ‘03-‘04 season, winning 14 of the last 17 and being one of the most dangerous teams going into the playoffs. One of my favorite all time NBA teams that year. It was great. Again, all well and good for the NBA.

I just like cfb the way it is. As you said, differing views on what makes it great, which is fine.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That's correct. I am a Heat fan, a Dolphins fan and a Marlins fan. Pretty embarrassed about the latter two at the moment, but not the first. And no, like I said, I'm not a Gator "fan," I am a Gator. The distinction is that unlike the three professional teams I follow, I do not have the option of choosing a different university with which to associate myself. It's far too late for that. Not that I'd want to, anyway.
Lots of alums aren't fans. Hell, most of my professors weren't. Being a Gator alumni doesn't make you a fan.
You've been blathering for 6 pages about what you think is best for college football not what's best for the Gators. I think we all know where you stand.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Lots of alums aren't fans. Hell, most of my professors weren't. Being a Gator alumni doesn't make you a fan.
You've been blathering for 6 pages about what you think is best for college football not what's best for the Gators. I think we all know where you stand.
Who's "we"? You and the gerbil up your ass? Sometimes what's best for college football is what's best for the Gators, too. It's not a zero-sum proposition, dummy. You can't formulate a sensible contribution to the discussion so you resort to questioning whether I'm a Gator fan, which has no bearing on the topic at hand. Go make a sandwich. Save some lettuce for the gerbil.

:brad:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Who's "we"? You and the gerbil up your ass? Sometimes what's best for college football is what's best for the Gators, too. It's not a zero-sum proposition, dummy. You can't formulate a sensible contribution to the discussion so you resort to questioning whether I'm a Gator fan, which has no bearing on the topic at hand. Go make a sandwich. Save some lettuce for the gerbil.

:brad:
Then explain how an 8 team playoff is better for the Gators.
I laid out my side. Win the SEC, go to the NC. Don't even need a 4 team playoff.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I laid out my side. Win the SEC, go to the NC. Don't even need a 4 team playoff.
2004 Auburn. The only thing constant about CFB is change. The SEC won’t be perceived as the best forever. Your formula has failed before - don’t want to see it again. 4 or 8 teams reduce that possibility significantly.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
2004 Auburn. The only thing constant about CFB is change. The SEC won’t be perceived as the best forever. Your formula has failed before - don’t want to see it again. 4 or 8 teams reduce that possibility significantly.

3 Team playoff in 2004(1 seed gets a bye) would’ve resolved the matter. Does anyone even remember who #4 was that year?

So we’re technically already a spot overweight.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
It's entirely possible for a 2-loss team to win the SEC. If Florida does that with an 8-team playoff, we still have a shot at the NC. Without it, we don't.

giphy.gif

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not reading 6 pages of arguments. GAmes need to be decided on the field, not based on committee. Some team peak at the beginning of the seasons and have a late loss. Others are still going through growing pains in the beginning of the season and have it worked out later.

I believe it should be P5 +3 and sort it out. P5 Conf. Champs and 3 Wildcards. We can figure out those Wildcards and decide it on the field.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Not reading 6 pages of arguments. GAmes need to be decided on the field, not based on committee. Some team peak at the beginning of the seasons and have a late loss. Others are still going through growing pains in the beginning of the season and have it worked out later.

I believe it should be P5 +3 and sort it out. P5 Conf. Champs and 3 Wildcards. We can figure out those Wildcards and decide it on the field.
Yep. I said the P5 Champs, then one spot for the highest-ranked of the Go5 champs, then the last two are filled with whoever are the highest-ranked teams remaining, regardless of conference. Use the current system to determine those rankings, and also the playoff seedings of course.

So theoretically you could have as many as 3 SEC teams in the playoff.

On the other hand, if it's a year when we really beat each other's brains in, a 2-loss SEC champion is still guaranteed a shot.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
It's official y'all, the reason we don't recruit better is because the playoffs haven't expanded.

:tard:
Straw men just don’t have any vital ball juice, so I get the limp wrist thing. Best option if you can’t get a convincing boner is just to bend on over and take one in the prostate.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
two...........four............sex............eight............any PlAYoff would be really great. But if we do go to eight then one less regular season game. And make SOS extremely important in the selections. More than ONE Division little sisters of the poor being a serious red flag.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think 4 teams is fine, but I think you have to win your conference to be eligible. Period.

I also don’t agree with the premise that recruiting would change with any significance if there were an 8 team playoff. I think recruits make their choices based 90% on their personal goals and not team goals. Especially when we’re talking high-end recruits, I think their #1 priority is the best situation for getting into the NFL, not getting into the NC game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.