Who’s ponying up to pay for this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
don't take the easy way out like a coward.
Hey baby, there ain’t no easy way out.
You can stand me up at the gates of hell (
is there a cover charge at the Gates of Hell too?)/ But I won’t back down …

BTW…what is this “easy way out” you speak of where, if we take it, we risk being cowards?

Last edited:

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
Ox, have you thought about keeping everything else the same but setting up a Patreon for people who want to donate to the site? You'd probably see a fair portion of the core users contribute voluntarily and it would avoid the attrition you'd likely get by going to a hard paywall. You could do some kind of special badge for contributors or something, maybe a new type of exclusive content?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ox did piggy back on the SOS years and then with Urban. Interest did fall after that except for all the pissen and moaning for years. I think we are on the cusp of something new and good. Its like playing that slot machine ABOUT to pay off.........go for it Ox.........

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am probably going to stay in as well since I enjoy the banter along with some of the insight gleaned from some other posters.
I am concerned about two points that have been surfaced by others:

1. Once we pay for the year, will we be reimbursed if Ox bans us for some reason?

2. Is Ox going to check his attitude moving forward?
Describing it as heavy handed is an understatement.

Maybe the confirmation of number two will eliminate number one.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
man death by a thousand cuts, all the various subscription services and now GC?!

Idk, how about those with lifetime memberships get the first year at a reduced rate, like $50 for the first year?

Can we show more skin in the saloon? Maybe take the place of some of my other subscriptions lol.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, have you thought about keeping everything else the same but setting up a Patreon for people who want to donate to the site? You'd probably see a fair portion of the core users contribute voluntarily and it would avoid the attrition you'd likely get by going to a hard paywall. You could do some kind of special badge for contributors or something, maybe a new type of exclusive content?
Maybe a digital dunking booth for the mods.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Ox said in his announcement that people don't come here for information. That's not true in my case. I could care less about the sophomoric banter. Don't get me wrong, I LOL occasionally. But for the most part, I scroll on by. I come here for information on Gator sports. I very much appreciate the recruiting information. And I'm not an X's and O's guy, so thanks to some very knowledgeable people on here providing analysis.

Look at the time saved because people post links to Twitter, articles, podcasts, etc. I don't have time to search those various channels. So I'll stick around the first year to see if this place continues to be of value to me.

I am curious, what happens if someone in the Pick 'Em chooses not to sign up?

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
With giving away all my Pick Em winnings and buying someone else a lifetime membership and random donations on top of my lifetime membership fee not to mention a total loss on Ox Bucks I've probably done close to $60/year anyway so why not

Ox completes me.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So Ox is now a drug dealer - get us hooked and then make us pay, lol... $5 a month isn't anything to complain about, but those sad looking puppies and kitties that Sarah sings about are gonna be disappointed when I stop sending my 50 cents a day...

BTW, while donkey is a broken record, Ox could double the post count on this site overnight if he reinstated that miserable beast of burden. Would help the social media analytics.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we could set up a Gator Chatter Collective to fund Ox's addictions?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As someone who paid for a lifetime membership but mostly just lurks, it would be nice to at least be able to view threads and read posts following the change, even if posting is restricted to this new recurring payment tier. I get the financial side of it, but it feels kinda crappy to pay for a voluntary "lifetime" membership to support a site then not even be able to read content on it a couple of years later.
Not a bad idea. Maybe lifetime numbers can read all forums but can’t post in VIP threads or forums unless they’re VIP (paid members). They can continue to post in non-VIP, threads and forums. And maybe the chatbox.

Free members can view thread titles and post in non-VIP threads but can’t post in or view VIP forums (ex: PF), threads, or the chatbox. They can view titles of VIP threads but can’t post in or view the thread itself.

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
As a recently banned lifetime member for an obvious misunderstanding, I would like to suggest a brief "arbitration" period for the new subscribers, should the unthinkable happen.
I did send an email to Ox for clarification on the ban and wasn't really satisfied with the answer. :lol2: But, hell, thought it best to jet let it drop.

I'm sure, even paying members will cross the line at some point.

Perhaps a brief arbitration would be beneficial to both sides, when that happens.

Also, I wouldn't want to hamper opposing fans from coming in talking smack in the week before a rivalry game. So I do agree some type of trial period is a good idea.

Good stuff form everyone on this thread with the lone exception of @GatorJB
JB, I sincerely hope things turn around for you. I've been in your shoes more than once in my lifetime. I lost my retirement nest egg, Twice.
God bless you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.