Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Uh yeah. I mean it’s cool that he got to tinker around with the little Super Bowl thing and an all time great, but I’m sure once his receptionist buzzes to let him know Mr. Mundee Stricklin is in the lobby and we’re there to talk about actually getting down to real football, playtime is over. In fact he probably leaves with us right then and there like Kay when Michael shows up at the school in Godfather.
Who'd want to coach Tom Brady when you've got a generational superstar like Emory Jones out there on the field?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
there is literally nobody out there to get.

For Florida Gator fans, so many of you are thinking very small by limiting to who would be available or not be an NFL guy. Did trailerbamma think any of this when they went for saban? This is about who we “should” hire, not who those wusses Fooley/Scotty would go after.

So nut up gents, the first target needs to be Lincoln Riley.

While schools run to the SEC for money, coaches still care about winning and playing for championships. That will be far harder for OU now. He’d have a better chance at UF. If he can recruit like that there, he’d kill it keeping guys in state.

Plus, we are a fuchsing giant and just don’t yield our power. Only Texas comes close to having market share like we do in a state our size that cares about football. Our football program has more spending power than about 30% of the world’s countries. We just use it on garbage coaches and badminton. That shyt “should” end now.

So, if it was me, I start by offering Riley double his current salary, to $12 mill/year. I’d commit to adding the support staff he needs and nonstop funnel feed the golden goose until its eggs taste like the world’s richest foie gras and all our other programs float on the largesse of football lipids.

I think he’d take it and is not thrilled with the SEC move.

If that doesn’t work, Chadwell would be my next call.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
So break down the list and tell me where I'm wrong. No one yet has come up with an argument against anyone on my list yet.
I don't doubt that you have many good reasons to mention every one of them. I just have no idea who the hell any of these MFers are. Do I get a demerit for each prospect or just 1 for being a colossal dumbass?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Had an argument with a guy on Facebook yesterday with the whole who you gonna get stick. Asked him in year 4 what we do consistently well. Special teams, defense, recruiting, verticals passing? Haven’t heard back.

We do so many things well that he’s still typing. Don’t worry, your reply will come soon enough.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Kansas hasn't won more than 3 games in a season in the decade since Mangino left.

The guy had some fire. I wish Dipshyt Dan had the guts to light up a player (Marco Wilson, are you there?) or an assistant coach like this but he’s too much of a puzzy. So we play like a bunch of weak, undisciplined azz hats and get beat by teams like Kentucky.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sadly, Billy Donovan remains the best suggestion to replace Mullen in this entire thread. Because there is literally nobody out there to get.

Mangina, was good for a laugh though. Maybe Billy D would consider him to be the offensive line?

FIFY.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
Bob Stoops hasn't come up yet. I know his name comes up every time our job opens. But he would be my personal current dream hire. He would be perfect here. He's only 61 yrs old. That's younger than Edsall, Ox. Just think about the defensive players that would flock here to play for him.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Sadly, Billy Donovan remains the best suggestion to replace Mullen in this entire thread. Because there is literally nobody out there to get.

Mangina, was good for a laugh though. Maybe Billy D would consider him to coach the offensive line?
I hear you. With such slim pickings out there I think we should probably just stick with Mullen this year and at least through next year and see if he can put it all together. He’s close. East champs baby!

We’re probably not going to make the playoffs this year, but with another year of starting, and AR gone to OU or Clemson, EJ won’t have to worry about looking over his shoulder all the time and can get to work on his heisman campaign for 2022. He’ll have to promote himself because QB whisperers don’t have time for that nonsense. And of course, if we are going to keep him through 2022 that means another raise and extension for Dan and Grantham is due for a salary bump as well. But if we get Dan up to what Jimbo is making, what is that, 9 mil? I think that should keep Mullen finally focused and serious about the Gator Standard and winning championships and we finally won’t have to worry about the next NFL opening and whether they are going to scoop up our offensive genius.

Yup, I know it’s tough to step back and think rationally now after a tough road loss (where we out gained the crap out of those cats, booya, in your face Stoops!) but when cooler heads prevail I think we will all agree that we are better off staying put and giving Dan the 8 years that it takes to build a championship program.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
This would be a great choice but like Brady, he would always be looking to get back to the NFL.

I would rather have a college coach than rent an NFL coach.

Urban will be available soon and there is no way another NFL team will take a chance and Ohio St. will never want him back. He would recruit like hell.

This has possibilities. He will need to repair his image after Jville.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Well if he flopped as a GM, do we want him? Several of us have talked about wanting a coach to come in and run the enterprise, not just offense or defense, etc.

Being a GM and HC in the NFL is NOT the same as being a HC in college. He was at Penn St and did well there considering the sanctions.

There is no way to do a true GM job in the NFL with all the contract negotiations, trades, evaluations, etc AND work 80 hours on a game plan for Sunday.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Bob Stoops hasn't come up yet. I know his name comes up every time our job opens. But he would be my personal current dream hire. He would be perfect here. He's only 61 yrs old. That's younger than Edsall, Ox. Just think about the defensive players that would flock here to play for him.
Bob Stoops left coaching mostly because of what happened to his father(suffered a fatal heart attack) while coaching a high school football game. Bob is not going back. With that kind of history in the Stoops family and with Mark Stoops physical appearance, it would be wise for Mark to step down sometime soon while he can.
Although Bob did coach a Dallas team in the XFL for about a quarter or less of a season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing that’s been around longer than the Stoops to Florida rumor is General Franco, who’s BTW still dead.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bob Stoops left coaching mostly because of what happened to his father(suffered a fatal heart attack) while coaching a high school football game. Bob is not going back. With that kind of history in the Stoops family and with Mark Stoops physical appearance, it would be wise for Mark to step down sometime soon while he can.
Although Bob did coach a Dallas team in the XFL for about a quarter or less of a season.

There was a brief rumor that Bob was headed to Tallahassee back at the end of 2019. Then, something happened and smack sized bags of cookies started falling from the sky. It was super weird.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
His son (Stoops)is almost done playing at Oklahoma. I think he would consider it. He coached an xfl team. I know that's probably a lot less involved than coaching UF.
Lincoln Riley of course would be the perfect hire really. But why would he leave Oklahoma when he has it rolling the way he does? UF has a couple advantages on Oklahoma but it's much harder to win here.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Has it occurred to yall that maybe Coach Mullin doesn't want to be here anymore and will lose enough to get him fired but not enough to keep him from getting hired at Vanderbilt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Has it occurred to yall that maybe Coach Mullin doesn't want to be here anymore and will lose enough to get him fired but not enough to keep him from getting hired at Vanderbilt.

I wish I believed he was smart enough for that... but I do believe he is just going though the motions at this point.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I do believe he is just going though the motions at this point.
This certainly seems to be the case and it is absolutely mind boggling to me. Not many people who become coaches get an opportunity like he did to be the head coach at a place like UF. No matter what your feeling is of the current state of the program, it is minimum a top 10-15 job - or could/should be. Yes, it is a tough job; long hours and lots of pressure, but it's not like he didn't know that coming in. Having watched Urbs up close and personal, he had to know what it took to be successful in Gainesville and yet, he thought he could pull it off with a boatload less effort? The only way it makes sense is if he really thought he could work that hard right up until nut cutting time and found he just didn't have it in him. So now he's just mailing it in until he gets canned and gets paid for doing nothing for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator