Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying it's not possible. But if history is any indication it's one helluva gamble.
Not really. If you look at the current top 25 you'll see it's littered with coaches who's previous coaching experience was coordinator.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
According to several reports including Bruce Feldman Fickell has already been contacted and offered by either USC or LSU or both. We are going to be in line for sloppy 3rd or 4ths by the time the UAA makes up its mind and decides to take action. The sorry UAA has digressed 4 decades back into the Doug Dickey era ~ or worse. They are not going to take any risk financial or otherwise in order to fight for another championship coach, a championship team or a championship program.

That is why we are unlikely to lure a championship coach even when the time comes. Every coach knows that Florida has the greatest potential for a championship program of any school in the country based on recruiting, boosters, fans, etc. BUT the administration and the UAA are NOT committed to be a championship program. Mullen is just a symptom of a greater problem. What Athletic Director determined to forge a championship program would have ever hired Mullen? He took a shot at other coaches but they all knew that he wasn't committed based on facilities, coach and support salaries, etc.

We can't even compete with Ray Graves or Doug Dickey much less Nick Saban or Kirby Smart.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jamey Chadwell got any votes in this thread?

The difference between him and some of the other mid major guys is that he's turned around 2 or 3 programs and he's an oc qb coach. I haven't watched any of their games live. If we're gonna go the route of taking a guy from a group 5 school, he might would be my pick. The big knock would be no power 5 experience.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only notable guys I can think of that didn't have power 5 experience before they got their start is chip Kelly as the oc at Oregon. And Hugh Freeze hadn't any before he took the ole miss job.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I'd never seen him until tonight. Impressive bio and record. Grew up near the Vols. He has quickly turned around a cpl small programs. I like the way his team and coaches seem to always be on the same page.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'd never seen him until tonight. Impressive bio and record. Grew up near the Vols. He has quickly turned around a cpl small programs. I like the way his team and coaches seem to always be on the same page.

Who?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Jamey Chadwell got any votes in this thread?
I think he can coach and run a program.
Size matters though.
Schedule matters.

You see how most everyone on this thread is against hiring Luke Fickel because of schedule and one season as an interim coach where he lost a bowl game to Muschamp.
As if taking a group of five team to the playoffs isn’t a coaching accomplishment.
He was a D Coordinator under Tressell and Urbs.

Chadwell will get picked up by someone.
So will Fickel.

There is no way our program should hire a coordinator.
Been there and done that.
Our two most Successful coaches had head coaching experience and we shouldn’t deviate from that recipe.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with the young offensive masterminds is the NFL is snatching them up. Hell, Kliff Kingsbury got FIRED from Texas Tech and was immediately hired as a NFL HC - and he's flourishing.

It has to be someone who truly loves the college game.

There are flocking to the NFL because they don’t want to deal with recruiting. Or the fan base. You can lose five games in the NFL and nobody cares.

They care more about putting an exciting product on the field, making the playoffs, and beating their rivals. One Super Bowl win in your career is considered a good career.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The difference between him and some of the other mid major guys is that he's turned around 2 or 3 programs and he's an oc qb coach. I haven't watched any of their games live. If we're gonna go the route of taking a guy from a group 5 school, he might would be my pick. The big knock would be no power 5 experience.
He is the only curremt HC worthy of considering.

All the rest would be retreads no better than our previous mediocrities.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
He is the only curremt HC worthy of considering.

All the rest would be retreads no better than our previous mediocrities.
Oh hell yeah, because he never lost to Muschamp, Oh wait!!!
He never had a chance to lose to Muschamp because…,

He’s never coached at a power 5 school.

Weren’t you the same guy that claimed schedule matters?

I would take him though.
I think he can coach, just worried about lack of power 5 experience and his schedule.

Im just not a hypocrite about it.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I just don't see many 'must have' coaches available right now. I don't think Mullen can overhaul this staff enough to improve. No top assistants would want to come in and work for a guy on the hot seat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The circle has been closed. We’re all the way back to Doug Dickey dog****.
Dickey ran a lot of quarterback keepers, right?

QB was the leading rusher and backup QB was #2? Sounds familiar.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Well, see what Dak did with Mullens, and see what Moore is doing with him...
If you mean attacking downfield? Yes, I'm in favor of that for sure. I'm not completely opposed to Kellen I just think he would have a hard time recruiting and if he did kill it, he'd be gone back to the NFL in the drop of a hat or head west to USC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you mean attacking downfield? Yes, I'm in favor of that for sure. I'm not completely opposed to Kellen I just think he would have a hard time recruiting and if he did kill it, he'd be gone back to the NFL in the drop of a hat or head west to USC.

Someone we should interview.... but would prefer at least some coordinator experience at teh college level.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah my dream DC would be Foster or maybe Strong. They would kill it in the recruiting trail I think'
I LOVE Charley Strong, and at least he isnt at a retirement home somewhere.

But Strong was highly inconsistent as a DC. I probably like him as a position coach and recruiting coordinator better. Or even a staffer.

Wouldn't it nice be nice to have 10 or 12 former HC staffers or compete anaylystd helping our next head coach like we were a legitimate elite P5 school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members