Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo ain't leaving Clemson. He's their bear Bryant. That being said he's one of the best and anyone with half a brain knows this.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We need to go after cristobal. He's a CEO type, a top 5 crooter, hires good assistants, and his teams play hard and can win in big games. Is he perfect? No. Worst case scenario we cant quite beat the clumps, but you cant tell me he wouldn't contend with and get W's against the dwags. He would and if he can beat them, he can beat everyone else sans saban as well. If he dosnt work out long term, we are stockpiled for the next guy. Top crooter is no longer a consideration on a list of coaching characteristics. Its a must have; might be the only item non negotiable, but its non negotiable. HC hirings are a roll of the dice no matter what; so use your brain and roll the dice only on guys that will have the table set for the next guy if they dont pan out. NO more hiring of guys that might make the situation even worse bc they arent a top crooter. You hearing me Scott?!?!?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
We need to go after cristobal. He's a CEO type, a top 5 crooter, hires good assistants, and his teams play hard and can win in big games. Is he perfect? No. Worst case scenario we cant quite beat the clumps, but you cant tell me he wouldn't contend with and get W's against the dwags. He would and if he can beat them, he can beat everyone else sans saban as well. If he dosnt work out long term, we are stockpiled for the next guy. Top crooter is no longer a consideration on a list of coaching characteristics. Its a must have; might be the only item non negotiable, but its non negotiable. HC hirings are a roll of the dice no matter what; so use your brain and roll the dice only on guys that will have the table set for the next guy if they dont pan out. NO more hiring of guys that might make the situation even worse bc they arent a top crooter. You hearing me Scott?!?!?

So you want Dan Mullen part two?

Dude is a carbon copy of Mullen with better recruiting. I mean look at the Stanford loss this year. That's equivalent to losing to Kentucky.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Dude is a carbon copy of Mullen with better recruiting. I mean look at the Stanford loss this year. That's equivalent to losing to Kentucky.

All coaches have ugly losses. To take that Uk comparison further, I agree with YL that today's Uk is about like MsSt under Sherrill. Spurrier lost that game twice. Meyer beats Nutt's OM team 9 times out of 10 with our 2008 squad. But lost to them at home. I think it's different than losing to some mid-major or FCS team. Bad P5 losses happen. But he's also beaten OhSt this year and has won other big games--at Oregon. With the recruiting he'd do here, we'd be fine under Mario. Still maybe not my primary choice, but I'd bet after his opening presser, there wouldn't be a single person in Gator Nation that didn't' feel confident about the future. The way he presents himself and his teams, alone, would be a welcome change after the last 3 fiascos.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
All coaches have ugly losses. To take that Uk comparison further, I agree with YL that today's Uk is about like MsSt under Sherrill. Spurrier lost that game twice. Meyer beats Nutt's OM team 9 times out of 10 with our 2008 squad. But lost to them at home. I think it's different than losing to some mid-major or FCS team. Bad P5 losses happen. But he's also beaten OhSt this year and has won other big games--at Oregon. With the recruiting he'd do here, we'd be fine under Mario. Still maybe not my primary choice, but I'd bet after his opening presser, there wouldn't be a single person in Gator Nation that didn't' feel confident about the future. The way he presents himself and his teams, alone, would be a welcome change after the last 3 fiascos.

Im not going to knock him as a recruiter because hes very good but lets be honest, the guy is 32-11 at Oregon...basically Mullen in a lesser conference.

Sure he beat Ohio St in the Shoe...that is a very good win...

However a loss to Stanford alongside wins by 7 against California, Fresno State and 3 against UCLA doesnt scream like an amazing head coach....Lets not forget his time at FIU either...

Cristobal wouldnt even make a list for me

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow TTech now TCU, who knew? Guess those lower level Texas teams care a smidge more than the flagship University in the state of Florida. Patterson had a good run at TCU and I think he would make someone a good assistant coach on the defensive side of the ball.

Those Neanderthals in Texas are confused. For some strange reason they think their jobs are meant to win football games
We sophisticated elites here in Florida know that the real objective is to drive social change

Maybe someday those poor folks in Texas will see the light.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're playing with fire no matter who you hire. Kiffin at least has P5 experience, a decent offense and ability to recruit. Mel Tucker is a defense, ball control guy that can recruit and Napier is an unknown...those three would be most likely. Who else would you like?

Napier is McElwain 2.0.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cristobal would get exposed when everyone has the same or better talent. Dude went 1-11 in the sunbelt and the sunbelt was even shcittier back then. I think he went 3-9 in his last year there. Has like one year as a "co" oc and he only got that tag so he'd leave bama. So he doesn't have one side of the ball he'd lock down. I'd put him ahead of Mel tucker but that doesn't really say much

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree with that by a mile but everyone has their own opinion on it

I am going on the games of his that I have watched, I admit that it isn’t many, and he makes some crazy in-game decisions that would never fly at UF.

I may have caught him at bad times but I am reluctant to take a coach with questionable judgment

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I am going on the games of his that I have watched, I admit that it isn’t many, and he makes some crazy in-game decisions that would never fly at UF.

I may have caught him at bad times but I am reluctant to take a coach with questionable judgment

I understand that. I rewatched the App St game from this year and liked what I saw but honestly hiring coaches from a G5 is a crap-shoot. Id rather hire a P5 guy but only a few actually come to mind that would take the job

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The more I think about it, I think UF will succeed faster and for longer by hiring a proven CEO that is a zealot for national championships. He would identify and hire top coordinators and fire them as needed. He would recruit like a banshee and reorganize the whole program for power and proficiency.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
JFC…..Mel Tucker.

We’ve had enough gd Dwags already.

He can stay at Sparty.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
JFC…..Mel Tucker.

We’ve had enough gd Dwags already.

He can stay at Sparty.

Uhh.....Tucker started under Saban, coached with Tressel, had Cleveland Browns as the 5th best defense in the league as DC, had Jax as the 4th best in the NFL....rough spot with the Bears but then went with Saban at Bama before doing a short stint at Georgia with Kirby where he was an elite recruiter and defensive playcaller...and is now sitting at 8-0 with Mich St just two years after Dantonio torpedoed the program...

I'd take Tucker before anyone else youre likely going to name...

Guy has been with two national championship teams/coaches plus NFL experience...im not sure what else youre looking for in a coach

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The more I think about it, I think UF will succeed faster and for longer by hiring a proven CEO that is a zealot for national championships. He would identify and hire top coordinators and fire them as needed. He would recruit like a banshee and reorganize the whole program for power and proficiency.

Sure...now who is that...that's the 7 million dollar question

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Tell me which part of the below description is a carbon copy of mullen

He's a CEO type, a top 5 crooter, hires good assistants, and his teams play hard and can win in big games
literally none of that applies to mullen. you may disagree on the description, but dont respond that the description equally applies to mullen. Not one single word of it does, and you sound like a fuchstard for saying otherwise.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Tell me which part of the below description is a carbon copy of mullen

literally none of that applies to mullen. you may disagree on the description, but dont respond that the description equally applies to mullen. Not one single word of it does, and you sound like a fuchstard for saying otherwise.

He's 32-11 in the Pac 12 with the best talent in the Pac 12 every single year....

If you want to hire a guy who can recruit, its Cristobal but dont expect any better results than what Mullen is giving you. We both can agree Mullen needs to go but Cristobal isnt the guy

Want to know what else Cristobal and Mullen have in common other than losing to inferior opponents? Both have the same number of playoff appearances and national championships; the problem is that Cristobal has an easier path and more talent can't get it done.

Last edited:

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Jay Gruden the PC brother. The Tucker guy at MSU does look acceptable but is a defensive guy. They said something about the finances of him leaving Michigan State having a big buyout clause or something like that.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sure...now who is that...that's the 7 million dollar question

Well, that is a great questions. Since it significantly changes the search criteria at least we know we are not looking for an offensive or defensive genius as a head coach. It definitely needs to be someone who has extensive coaching experience. Candidates will have a combination of qualities that may resemble an Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Tom Osborne, Jimmy Johnson, etc. This coach has to be committed to a discipline, toughness and team philosophy but cannot be stubbornly committed to a certain offensive or defensive system.

I think Dabo and Bob Stoops may in part fit that type of profile as much as anyone that I know of right now but I defer to those on this board with sharper intellect and memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator