Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well tucker has the 18th class at sparty. Not sure if that's good for them or not. I know Harbaugh usually gets Michigan in the top 10 but they're obviously a bigger draw. Napier has the 3rd best recruiting class in the sunbelt. Chadwell has the best in that conference . Let's be real the candidates aren't that great right now, atleast they don't appear to be.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
The next coach MUST be an elite recruiter. That’s my number 1 qualifier. That alone has the potential to balance out everything else. Zook and chump here, and shart over at ugay, are all outstanding examples of how even morons can compete at very high levels if the talent is there. Let’s face it, we are a mid tier SEC squad at best right now (add Dan’s coaching, and we’re quickly becoming a third tier). This is the smallest, slowest, weakest, thinnest, and shallowest team we have fielded since the late 80s probation years (those teams were probably all better talent-wise than now), and possibly all the way back to the late 70s. We need a major rebuild, and I want a guy who can come in and stock the shelves. With the new rules for players making $, there’s literally no excuse for us to not land a top 5 class every year by default. None. We’re the flagship university of the most talent-rich state in the country, and recruiting should be the new coach’s focus, 24/7/365. If we can find that guy, we will be fine in the long run.

bayou gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
An explosive offense that has a legit downfield passing game will beat a good defense damn near every time. You just can’t do it with an offensive line from the sunbelt. It's not like we hired a good offensive minded guy here.

I agree with you for the most part. Though I generally believe that the D line is the number 1 area of importance in the SEC. If those guys are all elite, they have the ability to short circuit everything on the opposing team.

O line is the number 2 area of importance, because… well, see above.

Which brings me back to my point about recruiting. I honestly can’t remember off the top of my head the last time we had a player on the DL or the OL that was truly elite and dominated every down. And I have no idea when our last D or O lines were dominant as a unit. For the DL, we’d have to go back to Muschump, and I guess back to the 08 team for the OL. We’ve been piecing together teams sandlot style since then.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The next coach MUST be an elite recruiter. That’s my number 1 qualifier. That alone has the potential to balance out everything else. Zook and chump here, and shart over at ugay, are all outstanding examples of how even morons can compete at very high levels if the talent is there. Let’s face it, we are a mid tier SEC squad at best right now (add Dan’s coaching, and we’re quickly becoming a third tier). This is the smallest, slowest, weakest, thinnest, and shallowest team we have fielded since the late 80s probation years (those teams were probably all better talent-wise than now), and possibly all the way back to the late 70s. We need a major rebuild, and I want a guy who can come in and stock the shelves. With the new rules for players making $, there’s literally no excuse for us to not land a top 5 class every year by default. None. We’re the flagship university of the most talent-rich state in the country, and recruiting should be the new coach’s focus, 24/7/365. If we can find that guy, we will be fine in the long run.

I don't disagree on the recruiting side or the notion that there is a rebuild in order. But a major issue that needs to be understood is that the next guy needs to be capable of coming in and winning with what we do currently have. Maybe not a NC, or even SEC in the first year or so. But too many of these candidates that are also great recruiters are given too much leniency on how to approach the here and now. Meyer didn't have a complete roster in 2005, or even in 2006 really. Same with Spurrier in 1990. Both figured it out and made do initially. Neither did the WM routine of "I need 4 years to build this". Our roster isn't perfect by any means. But if they can't scheme and motivate with what they have, especially with the help of the portal, then they are not cut out for the job. It's that simple.

bayou gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I don't disagree on the recruiting side or the notion that there is a rebuild in order. But a major issue that needs to be understood is that the next guy needs to be capable of coming in and winning with what we do currently have. Maybe not a NC, or even SEC in the first year or so. But too many of these candidates that are also great recruiters are given too much leniency on how to approach the here and now. Meyer didn't have a complete roster in 2005, or even in 2006 really. Same with Spurrier in 1990. Both figured it out and made do initially. Neither did the WM routine of "I need 4 years to build this". Our roster isn't perfect by any means. But if they can't scheme and motivate with what they have, especially with the help of the portal, then they are not cut out for the job. It's that simple.

So what you’re saying is they’ve gotta know how to actually “coach”… got it. :lol:

That'd be a huge improvement over what we currently have. Hell, as Dan has gotten more of “his” players, we’ve gotten worse. How does he look himself in the mirror knowing the very best he’ll ever do as a coach was last year’s team: mostly Butters players, and an offensive scheme 180 degrees opposite of what he truly believes. That putz can’t win on any level, even internally.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Uhh.....Tucker started under Saban, coached with Tressel, had Cleveland Browns as the 5th best defense in the league as DC, had Jax as the 4th best in the NFL....rough spot with the Bears but then went with Saban at Bama before doing a short stint at Georgia with Kirby where he was an elite recruiter and defensive playcaller...and is now sitting at 8-0 with Mich St just two years after Dantonio torpedoed the program...

I'd take Tucker before anyone else youre likely going to name...

Guy has been with two national championship teams/coaches plus NFL experience...im not sure what else youre looking for in a coach
What part of no fuching Dwags do you not understand? We have at least two on the staff currently, last thing we need is to replace Dwags with Dwags.

FFS….you have your Kirby Bangz boxers on today or something?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I'm not an advocate for Freeze at all. In fact I personally believe anyone who's lost to James McElwain should probably be banished from the sport. Having said that, in his defense, I imagine he has a hard time convincing kids he's going to be there long term. Guys like Napier and Chadwell may get mentioned, but at least they've never actually been at a P5 program. He has, and wasn't fired for performance. So it's probably pretty easy to negative recruit that he's gone the minute someone calls. Too many Petrino, Kiffin examples of guys just biding their time until they can get back in the big leagues.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
What part of no fuching Dwags do you not understand? We have at least two on the staff currently, last thing we need is to replace Dwags with Dwags.

FFS….you have your Kirby Bangz boxers on today or something?
Good lord…Why does everyone keep calling Tucker a Dwag???

Look at his FN resume’!!!

Just stop it,
Tucker began his coaching career in 1997 as a graduate assistant for the Michigan State University Spartansunder head coach Nick Saban. In 1999, he served as a defensive backs coach for the Miami University Redhawks, and then in 2000 followed Saban to Louisiana State University to fill the same position with the LSU Tigers. In 2001, he became defensive backs coach for the Ohio State University Buckeyesunder coach Jim Tressel. In 2002, Tucker was the defensive backs coach as Ohio State won a national championship, and in 2004 he was made co-defensive coordinator.

NFL
In 2005 Tucker entered the National Football League (NFL) with the Cleveland Browns. He coached defensive backs from 2005–2007 and was promoted to defensive coordinator in the 2008 season following the firing of Todd Grantham. Under Tucker, Cleveland consistently ranked fifth in the league, with the defense making 73 interceptions. After the firing of Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, Tucker was replaced by Rob Ryan.

In 2009 Tucker was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive coordinator. In the 2011 season head coach Jack Del Rio put Tucker in charge of defensive play-calling, and the team quickly became the fourth highest rated in the NFL. On November 29, 2011, Tucker was named Jacksonville's interim head coach following the firing of Del Rio. He ran the team for their final five games and was in consideration for the job full-time until Atlanta Falconsoffensive coordinator Mike Mularkeywas named head coach on January 10, 2012. Tucker got his first victory as a head coach in week 14, a 41–14 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He went 2–3 as interim head coach. On January 12, 2012, he informed the media he would return to his position as defensive coordinator for the Jaguars. On January 13, 2012 it was announced that Tucker would also be the assistant head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

On January 18, 2013 Tucker was named defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears. Following one of the worst defensive seasons in Bears' history in 2013, Tucker was criticized by the media. As a result, the team fired two of Tucker's assistant coaches, linebackers coach Tim Tibesar and defensive line coach Mike Phair. The Bears replaced them with Paul Pasqualoni as defensive line coach and Reggie Herring as linebackers coach.

On January 20, 2015, following another record-setting low defensive season for the Bears in 2014, Tucker was replaced by former San Francisco 49ersdefensive coordinator Vic Fangio under new head coach John Fox.

Return to NCAA
Tucker spent the 2015 season with the Alabama Crimson Tide as assistant head coach and defensive backs coach, during which the team won the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship.

In 2016, Tucker moved to Georgia as the defensive coordinator, where he remained through 2018.

2019 season
On December 5, 2018, Tucker signed an agreement to become the Colorado Buffaloes football head coach starting in 2019. In his lone season at the helm, Tucker's Buffaloes posted a 5–7 record (3–6 in the Pac-12).

2020 season
On February 12, 2020, Tucker resigned as Colorado's head coach to accept the same position at Michigan State. Tucker's contract at Michigan State is worth $5.5 million annually for 6 years; more than double his contract at Colorado (5-year, $14.8 million) and more than $1 million annually over previous head coach Mark Dantonio($4.3 million per annum). At the time of signing, Tucker became the 12th highest paid head coach in FBS and 4th in Big Ten.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not an advocate for Freeze at all. In fact I personally believe anyone who's lost to James McElwain should probably be banished from the sport. Having said that, in his defense, I imagine he has a hard time convincing kids he's going to be there long term. Guys like Napier and Chadwell may get mentioned, but at least they've never actually been at a P5 program. He has, and wasn't fired for performance. So it's probably pretty easy to negative recruit that he's gone the minute someone calls. Too many Petrino, Kiffin examples of guys just biding their time until they can get back in the big leagues.
If liberty goes into Oxford and beats ole miss. Hugh Freeze is gonna be forgiven.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet LSU goes after tucker. Usc goes after fickell.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

Just stop it,
Tucker began his coaching career in 1997 as a graduate assistant for the Michigan State University Spartansunder head coach Nick Saban. In 1999, he served as a defensive backs coach for the Miami University Redhawks, and then in 2000 followed Saban to Louisiana State University to fill the same position with the LSU Tigers. In 2001, he became defensive backs coach for the Ohio State University Buckeyesunder coach Jim Tressel. In 2002, Tucker was the defensive backs coach as Ohio State won a national championship, and in 2004 he was made co-defensive coordinator.

NFL
In 2005 Tucker entered the National Football League (NFL) with the Cleveland Browns. He coached defensive backs from 2005–2007 and was promoted to defensive coordinator in the 2008 season following the firing of Todd Grantham. Under Tucker, Cleveland consistently ranked fifth in the league, with the defense making 73 interceptions. After the firing of Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, Tucker was replaced by Rob Ryan.

In 2009 Tucker was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive coordinator. In the 2011 season head coach Jack Del Rio put Tucker in charge of defensive play-calling, and the team quickly became the fourth highest rated in the NFL. On November 29, 2011, Tucker was named Jacksonville's interim head coach following the firing of Del Rio. He ran the team for their final five games and was in consideration for the job full-time until Atlanta Falconsoffensive coordinator Mike Mularkeywas named head coach on January 10, 2012. Tucker got his first victory as a head coach in week 14, a 41–14 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He went 2–3 as interim head coach. On January 12, 2012, he informed the media he would return to his position as defensive coordinator for the Jaguars. On January 13, 2012 it was announced that Tucker would also be the assistant head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

On January 18, 2013 Tucker was named defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears. Following one of the worst defensive seasons in Bears' history in 2013, Tucker was criticized by the media. As a result, the team fired two of Tucker's assistant coaches, linebackers coach Tim Tibesar and defensive line coach Mike Phair. The Bears replaced them with Paul Pasqualoni as defensive line coach and Reggie Herring as linebackers coach.

On January 20, 2015, following another record-setting low defensive season for the Bears in 2014, Tucker was replaced by former San Francisco 49ersdefensive coordinator Vic Fangio under new head coach John Fox.

Return to NCAA
Tucker spent the 2015 season with the Alabama Crimson Tide as assistant head coach and defensive backs coach, during which the team won the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship.

In 2016, Tucker moved to Georgia as the defensive coordinator, where he remained through 2018.

2019 season
On December 5, 2018, Tucker signed an agreement to become the Colorado Buffaloes football head coach starting in 2019. In his lone season at the helm, Tucker's Buffaloes posted a 5–7 record (3–6 in the Pac-12).

2020 season
On February 12, 2020, Tucker resigned as Colorado's head coach to accept the same position at Michigan State. Tucker's contract at Michigan State is worth $5.5 million annually for 6 years; more than double his contract at Colorado (5-year, $14.8 million) and more than $1 million annually over previous head coach Mark Dantonio($4.3 million per annum). At the time of signing, Tucker became the 12th highest paid head coach in FBS and 4th in Big Ten.
By that logic, Grantham ain’t a fn Dwag either, hell, Muschamp and Robinson just played there, they coached other places, too. Does that mean they aren’t Dwags, too?

bayou gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

Just stop it,

NFL

Return to NCAA

2019 season

2020 season

Ya gotta understand something… if all that guy did was take his kids to Six Flags one summer, he may as well have named those kids Herschel and Vince. That dude ain’t got a chance around here :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Just stop it,

It's just the fact that he was in athens for any amount of time. I wasn't even comfortable getting that close taking I985 to Gatlinburg.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

I also doubt a tiny Christian school like Liberty has anywhere near the size of a whore budget as an SEC school like Ole miss.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ya gotta understand something… if all that guy did was take his kids to Six Flags one summer, he may as well have named those kids Herschel and Vince. That dude ain’t got a chance around here :lol:

I was really happy with my post in response to that. But yours is way better. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Aranda was my original pick for there. I think tucker is more splashy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator