Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This idea is certainly not original with me. I have seen others mention it previously in this thread.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

So what does that say for him now considering he has the best talent in the Pac 12 and still drops bad games and has the same amount of playoff appearances as the bozo currently hired

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

cool he beat OSU...

He lost to Stanford and is likely to miss the playoffs again because of it. He's an ass coach who can recruit...

I don't want to go down the Zook route again

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

We're not talking about 1 or two bad losses altogther...we're talking about who loses one to two regular season games a year to teams with lesser talent. Stanford is 3-5 on the year. Does Oregon have less talent then Stanford? No and it's not close. While the COVID year is hard to gauge, the fact of the matter is he lost to Oregon State and California, do those teams have more talent? No and it's still not even close. 2019 he cost himself with losing to Arizona State, again with way less talent. In 2018 and although his first year, he lost to Arizona.

So you have a guy who routinely loses to teams with less talent and fails to make the playoffs. How is that going to translate when he moves to a conference where the teams are going to have closer to equal talent and others will have much more; is he going to surprise us and beat those teams? Probably not.

I don't have a perfect coach, at this point in time I'd probably take Mel Tucker because of his background and the discipline/toughness aspect that you see his teams play with. Would he work out? I don't know, you really never know but I'd take a chance on him before hiring a guy who can't get it done when the Pac-12 is the worst it has ever been. If Cristobal is smart he will leave before SC hires a coach that can recruit and beat him regularly.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He would have uga fsu lsu and in most years we get effed on cross divisional opponents. Plus texas and Oklahoma is moving in. It's gonna take more than a below average coach with above average recruiting abilities.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Jay Gruden the PC brother. The Tucker guy at MSU does look acceptable but is a defensive guy. They said something about the finances of him leaving Michigan State having a big buyout clause or something like that.

There is no buyout when you leave. Buyout is if you fire a coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our standalone is a used car lot compared to what they have.

"I really think we need a CEO" is stupid talk. We keep hiring garbage ultra conservative OCs. Frankly we hired the goofiest one, Pirate gives h a run, who thinks offense =QB keeper and has put a 50th or worst offense on the field in 10 of his 12 years as HC.

No matter how much bullshyt people spread,he isnt good, he is average at best, and he is conservative is hell all while running a high risk, low reward offense.

We need a GOOD AGGRESSIVE OC who recruits well. And hopefully we can land a decent DC.

Hiring a CEO type,Butters I guess, and hoping to fix their shortcomings by hiring a lights out OC and DC is a fool's errand. This AD typically finds some toolbag that just got fired somewhere else (hey theyre CHEAP bc Michigan is paying Nuss salary). They ONLY time we opened the AD's purse for an elite DC was Stoopsey.

Weve basically hired two good DCs and one good OC in thirty years. What makes you think your CEO will do better?

Last edited:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

"I really think we need a CEO" is stupid talk. We keep hiring garbage ultra conservative OCs. Frankly we hired the goofiest one, Pirate gives h a run, who thinks offense =QB keeper and has put a 50th or worst offense on the field in 10 of his 12 years as HC.

No matter how much bullshyt people spread,he isnt good, he is average at best, and he is conservative is hell all while running a high risk, low reward offense.

We need a GOOD AGGRESSIVE OC who recruits well. And hopefully we can land a decent DC.

Hiring a CEO type,Butters I guess, and hoping to fix their shortcomings by hiring a lights out OC and DC is a fool's errand. This AD typically finds some toolbag that just got fired somewhere else (hey theyre CHEAP bc Michigan is paying Nuss salary). They ONLY time we opened the AD's purse for an elite DC was Stoopsey.

Weve basically hired two good DCs and one good OC in thirty years. What makes you think your CEO will do better?

My description of a CEO type more than answers and contradicts your concerns and objections. A Tom Osborne or Jimmy Johnson type CEO would win national titles. But then you would have known that if you even half-read the post.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
While we're on the subject of Mario Cristobal. Did you guys know Joe Moorehead is his OC and is only 48 years old? Holy crap dude, I just seen a picture of him and seriously had him pegged for 70 atleast. ****er must've lived a pretty hard life.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

An explosive offense that has a legit downfield passing game will beat a good defense damn near every time. You just can’t do it with an offensive line from the sunbelt. It's not like we hired a good offensive minded guy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.