Who is QB1 game 1 next season?

• Total voters

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If Trask is not the starter next year and we don't make it to Atlanta, Mullen will be on a very hot seat.

Trask is not transferring. This guy has never thought about transferring. Why would he up and change his whole mentality?
Is this a serious question?

Coming into the season he was nothing but a career backup and he certainly didn’t think that would change. Now he’s not only playing but looking good doing it. Suddenly he may have NFL aspirations he never really thought about until this year.

Why would he change his mentality? :crazy:

How your post got a like is almost as mind boggling as your post.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
If Trask is not the starter next year and we don't make it to Atlanta, Mullen will be on a very hot seat.

Trask is not transferring. This guy has never thought about transferring. Why would he up and change his whole mentality?
1. Are you insane? We went from 4 wins to 2 10 plus win seasons.
2. Before this season where would Trask had gone? Its not like top teams were beating his door down but given his success this season he'd have options for sure.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
2. Before this season where would Trask had gone? Its not like top teams were beating his door down but given his success this season he'd have options for sure.
Mullen asked him if he wanted to transfer so there must have been places for him to go. Are top teams beating down his door now?

As for the NFL, maybe in the 6th round or as a free agent. Teams are looking for more mobile QBS.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
If Driskel can make it in the NFL, I don't see any reason that Trask can't. Still, I hope he stays and starts next year. He can make our young receivers look good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Driskel can make it in the NFL, I don't see any reason that Trask can't. Still, I hope he stays and starts next year. He can make our young receivers look good.

The league places a premium on guys who can do both. Trask isn’t particularly agile in the pocket and he can’t run. He’ll need to convince NFL scouts he’s ready to live by his throws after just a partial season of experience.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The league places a premium on guys who can do both. Trask isn’t particularly agile in the pocket and he can’t run. He’ll need to convince NFL scouts he’s ready to live by his throws after just a partial season of experience.

I'm not disputing that it has become extremely popular to have a more mobile QB, but pure passing has still been the feature of virtually every SB won, even in recent history. Outside of Seattle and Green Bay(and Wentz during the regular season), the rest of the teams that have won it all have had QBs that were marginally mobile at best.

I know it makes the highlight reel and gets talked about. But if you're a team seriously looking for a ring, I don't think you put so much emphasis on legs. It hasn't proven to win it all yet. I'd like to see that change because it's what we'll be pumping out under Mullen, and it's why I actually like to see Dak playing well(in a loss). But the reality is, so far, the NFL has proven to be different than college when it comes to mobility often equaling success.

Trask may or may not get much attention, but I don't think his lack of pure running ability will be the issue.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

By your first point, you believe in '17 we only had talent worthy of 4 wins, so Butters did his job as well as any average coach (which is fcking insane). Because the 17 and 18 team were not marketably different talent wise. If you don't believe that, the first point is null & void.

Second point is spot on, Trask got a scholarship offer he wasn't going to get from any other D1 school. Period. Why would he leave?

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Trask will be sticking around and he will probably start the season because he earned it. Still, and I'm no expert, I see EJ moving up to the top of the chart after a few games. Trask has the touch and sees the field, but he has made some bad decisions (nearly two pick 6's last week). EJ is more in DM's mold of offense and as we saw last week he can toss the ball.

If Franks gets the nod, only spectacular consistent play will keep him on the field over EJ.

So far, EJ has had almost the role as the cat's bowden with fewer snaps; opponents know what's coming but they can't stop it. Go Gators!

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I went with Jones. That’s not an indictment of Trask. It’s a guess that Mullen won’t sacrifice his offense and will ensure he gets a rushing attack next season. Jones, in limited action, has shown the ability to throw and move the ball on the ground.

I went with Trask, but I could see your scenario playing out. EJ needs to make a jump though. I think with Trask in this offense, it does limit our rushing attack which what has played out this season. I also think no starter will be named till the 1st game and that Trask would be more willing to sit the bench to see if EJ works out than the other way around. The schedule is soft at the beginning next year as well, so maybe how EJ would perform in those first 3-4 games, Mullen could determine if it's going to be successful or need to turn back to Trask.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Driskel is more physically talented than Trask, whose skill set is more comparable to Danny Wuerffel's. He could well make it as a backup in the NFL, but do you leave school early for that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By your first point, you believe in '17 we only had talent worthy of 4 wins, so Butters did his job as well as any average coach (which is fcking insane). Because the 17 and 18 team were not marketably different talent wise. If you don't believe that, the first point is null & void.

Second point is spot on, Trask got a scholarship offer he wasn't going to get from any other D1 school. Period. Why would he leave?
Boom!!!!

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Driskel is more physically talented than Trask, whose skill set is more comparable to Danny Wuerffel's. He could well make it as a backup in the NFL, but do you leave school early for that?
Physically? Sure.

Mentally? Trask is light years beyond Driskel, and/or Franks.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I think Trask will start. Mullen's track record suggests he picks a QB and stick with that guy until something drastic happens. I also suspect Jones to transfer if he doesn't get a fair shot.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
You're saying Driskel has learned nothing during his time in the NFL? At least you're consistent with the hyperbole.

I'll give you Franks.
Driskel is Driskel is Franks.

They’re one in the same

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017

We won 4 games prior to his arrival, he's lost 5 in 2 seasons combined and you think a loss to UGA next yr would put him on the hotseat? Thats hilarious

Wanna talk about talent from that team? In the past 3 drafts, we've had 7 players taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft, total. And most were DBs. You are what your record says you are. They were a 4 win team.

Last edited:

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
We won 4 games prior to his arrival, he's lost 5 in 2 seasons combined and you think a loss to UGA next yr would put him on the hotseat? Thats hilarious
If Trask is not the starter and his record is worse than this year's, yea, there are going to be a lot of unhappy Gator fans.

There are plenty of people unhappy with him now. You think if he doesn't start the guy who saved this season that's not going to get worse?

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Youll always have fans who live to complain, look around in here and on social media. Its very unrealistic that his seat gets hot regardless whos the QB next season or the outcome of the UGA game given his W/L record considering what he walked into. People are going to complain either way, we lose with Trask, why isnt HIS guy ready yet? We lose with Jones, why wasnt Trask starting? its a no win either way as far as ridicule

Plus, like you said, next years team will have a lot of turnover. Given that it will be tough to say his seat is hot in the first year with his players actually starting their first season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator