Why the Mac bashing should stop, even though the bashers are correct

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's poor coaching is now thoroughly understood by board posters. Dissenting opinion ceased after the Michigan debacle and any surviving opposition was snuffed when cover detailed his many mistakes. The decision on Mac now rests with the AD and the bull gators and it will likely be made on performance, specifically offensive performance. More specifically on rushing. Last year we were dead middle in the SEC in passing and dead last in running the football. If our rushing this year is middle of the SEC pack, our offense will be middle of the pack and Mac will be retained. So complaining does nothing but lose recruits that the next coach will need. So if you want Mac gone, root for a win with a low rushing total and vent as little as possible. It is hurting recruiting and it is hurting the University

I subscribed to that theory until I couldn't stand it any more. You're right. At the very least I don't think anyone can argue that it helps. I've vented plenty. I'm done.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is childishly petty and pathetic the way grown men make it personal with our coaches and players. Call a man by his name. Didn't your Daddy's teach you anything? I don't pay much attention to who the individual posters are....I just read the posts and randomly respond. But two I have made note of is cover2 and Stephenpe. Both make their points without calling a single coach or player some pathetic nickname. Cover2 provides good insight and stephenpe's love for UF shines through. Both bring some needed balance.
At ease Devil Dog Leatherneck Jarhead.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You called me pops.......as if being old is a joke. It is just a stage in life. You gain more perspective the longer you hang around *(if you are paying attention. As for our d$ck swiinging contest call me impressed by your running. Seriously. I used to run (not that much of course) but lots of 5 mile runs as a young man. Running makes you feel good but basketball is a lot more creative and fun with the chemistry of others to mesh with.
You seem to think I want to feel holier than thou or something with my gatorness. Im just old school. Seen the worst seen the best (that is a lie as i wasnt here in the 40s when they hit bottom) But ive seen lots of years when UGA owned us and that was AWFUL. Im gonna back off here. pizzzing matches just get everyone ankle's wet. You Law and many others have the right to say anything you want about our program coaches staff uniforms etc. But I can give it back too. Maybe young recruits dont visit sites like this. Maybe they do and laugh at it. Maybe they do and start to think "Maybe these fellas are right about the coaching staff and UM or fsu or bama or UT is a better place to go.
I dont know. I just know how much joy I have gotten out of this program for over 50 years and my failing is defending it too much sometimes...............You and brad need to talk that running talk. He likes to talk about it. Peace.

Stephen, I love you man...like most of the regulars here. And I'm just giving you sh*t. If you want to pump (or be more positive) that's fine. We both have our opinions on it. I'm glad you've been a fan for years and years....I'm heading that way myself. I was born in 1970 and was in middle school and HS in the 80's, I saw plenty of UGA ass kicking's! Trust me! My first game I ever attended in person was 1979 vs. Kentucky, we lost 33-3. So I've seen plenty of heart ache. And just for you, I'm going to shoot 100 free throws this afternoon at the gym!!

True story: in the summer of 1985 (I was going into my 10th grade year that summer) they filmed the Ford Truck commercials at my HS. I was on the football team and going to summer school to lift weights and practice w/ a lot of the team (taking "gym" and "life management). So on three consecutive days we had Galen Hall, Vince Dooley, and Bobby Bowden at our school for about 4 hours each day while they filmed. Since I was on the team I was on the "crew" (helping the film crew w/ whatever task they needed us to do).

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I love adults trying to be the parents of other adults :lmao2: The Universityof Florida has sucked ass in football for about a decade now. I'd say we've been pretty patient overall. Pumpers can keep shaking their Pom poms and the realist can seat another clip. I'm good with both provided you aren't asking me to do cart wheels for the current cause. Go Gators!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I love adults trying to be the parents of other adults :lmao2: The Universityof Florida has sucked ass in football for about a decade now. I'd say we've been pretty patient overall. Pumpers can keep shaking their Pom poms and the realist can seat another clip. I'm good with both provided you aren't asking me to do cart wheels for the current cause. Go Gators!!
exactly. Let ppl say what they want to say. And if you can't handle seeing something you don't agree with, grow a set or leave. Don't care which.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

This is affectionately known as "The Lost Decade of Gator Football"....

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mac's poor coaching is now thoroughly understood by board posters. Dissenting opinion ceased after the Michigan debacle and any surviving opposition was snuffed when cover detailed his many mistakes. The decision on Mac now rests with the AD and the bull gators and it will likely be made on performance, specifically offensive performance. More specifically on rushing. Last year we were dead middle in the SEC in passing and dead last in running the football. If our rushing this year is middle of the SEC pack, our offense will be middle of the pack and Mac will be retained. So complaining does nothing but lose recruits that the next coach will need. So if you want Mac gone, root for a win with a low rushing total and vent as little as possible. It is hurting recruiting and it is hurting the University

I personally think that criticism of McElwain is fine and should as it has and will continue here. I think gratuitous personal attacks on his teeth, etc should stop. There is plenty to criticize about his coaching, etc . I see no reason to complain about how he looks or dresses or talks.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I personally think that criticism of McElwain is fine and should as it has and will continue here. I think gratuitous personal attacks on is teeth, etc should stop. There is plenty to criticize about his coaching, etc . I see no reason to complain about how he looks or dresses or talks.

I kinda agree. I have been critical of him and staff but I actually like him. I wish he could get it figured out. He really wants to be the coach of the Gators. I got asked yesterday what my "plan" is if we fire Mac. I am not the AD or the president and its not my job. We are a very prosperous university that can afford to hire and pay for top coaching talent and the people who are making all the big bucks and who are responsible for hiring the right people need to do their jobs. If we were showing substantial improvement every year and could at least hang tough with good teams, much would be forgiven. Where we stand right now we appear to be the same or regressing on offense which is what he was hired to fix. I dont know many who wake up in the morning thinking this is the year we return to prominence. It just doesnt feel right and the powers that be have a job to do.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
True story: in the summer of 1985 (I was going into my 10th grade year that summer) they filmed the Ford Truck commercials at my HS. I was on the football team and going to summer school to lift weights and practice w/ a lot of the team (taking "gym" and "life management). So on three consecutive days we had Galen Hall, Vince Dooley, and Bobby Bowden at our school for about 4 hours each day while they filmed. Since I was on the team I was on the "crew" (helping the film crew w/ whatever task they needed us to do).
I love stories like this. I remember those Ford commercials. You saw some iconic coaches there. Its all good. My wife was born in 70 so I understand your POV better. She doesnt understand my crazy passion for all things of an orange and blue hue either. I pull my bb card once in awhile but truth be known I can still do it in my mind but in reality at best im just muscle crippled for a few days and at worst I collapse with a knee back or ankle going out.........Last time I really played on a court with guys was about 10 years ago. I could barely walk for 2 days but it was glorious.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I kinda agree. I have been critical of him and staff but I actually like him. I wish he could get it figured out. He really wants to be the coach of the Gators. I got asked yesterday what my "plan" is if we fire Mac. I am not the AD or the president and its not my job. We are a very prosperous university that can afford to hire and pay for top coaching talent and the people who are making all the big bucks and who are responsible for hiring the right people need to do their jobs. If we were showing substantial improvement every year and could at least hang tough with good teams, much would be forgiven. Where we stand right now we appear to be the same or regressing on offense which is what he was hired to fix. I dont know many who wake up in the morning thinking this is the year we return to prominence. It just doesnt feel right and the powers that be have a job to do.

It's felt like a weird fit from the get go. Foley had a hard on for Saban disciples for some reason.

I think we all know how this story will end. When a coach has lost this much of the fan base, its extremely hard to get it back. It takes an exceptional coach to do so, ala Dabo Swinney. He was under the gun and then turned it around. It's hard seeing Mac doing the same.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Our fans are not any different from any other team in the SEC or the country, for that matter. Fans b!tch and complain whether a sports team is winning or losing.

Secondly, I couldn't possibly care less how UF fans are perceived by fans of other teams. Why would anyone care about that?
Gee Ox, Paul Finebaum just said that Florida fans were"unique". Wouldn't that make Florida fans different? Just askin'.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Gee Ox, Paul Finebaum just said that Florida fans were"unique". Wouldn't that make Florida fans different? Just askin'.

Slimebomb is full of opinions that will boost his ratings.

Also, he caters to the bamuh rednecks more than anyone else.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Paul is an odd character. Paul and Mikey Bianchi along with SOS could have a fun roundtable for TV
Throw in Bugger for balance. Even a little James Bates for levity

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love AR but his mantra never changes when it comes to bad coaches:

1. i have hope they will be great, Gators NC baby!
2. well the record isnt great so far but Im sure he will get better once this or that player arrives
3. well it looks bad but its too soon to grade
4. it is water under the dam stop beating a dead horse

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you have any friends honest enough to tell you truthfully how UF fans are perceived by the rest of the SEC?
No one gives a flying fvkk what your friends in Missippi think. If we thought like people from Missippi we would be 6-6 every year too.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I love AR but his mantra never changes when it comes to bad coaches:

1. i have hope they will be great, Gators NC baby!
2. well the record isnt great so far but Im sure he will get better once this or that player arrives
3. well it looks bad but its too soon to grade
4. it is water under the dam stop beating a dead horse
Not saying you are wrong, law, but can you find a scintilla of evidence in this thread to support your assertion?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know many who wake up in the morning thinking this is the year we return to prominence. It just doesnt feel right and the powers that be have a job to do.
Well, maybe not this morning but we had a ton of you talking about how old Extra Butter Macaroni was getting ready to break out. the offense would be explosive. Nusschump had open receivers everywhere. All we needed was no LDR. The roster was probably the best ever, with playmakers all over the place.

But that was last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator