Will a close loss to Alabama satisfy you?

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75 said:
Bama struggled on the road in West Virginia and blew out 2 cupcakes at home. Why are they perceived as being unbeatable this year? The Gators struggled at home against Kentucky and blew out a cupcake at home and probably would have done the same to an undermanned Idaho squad. Why are Gator fans penciling in a loss against Bama based on play so far?

Is Bama's QB much better than the Gators' JD? At this point of the season, I don't think so. The Gators are 12th overall passing compared to 33rd for Bama.

Is their stable of running backs much better? I don't think so. Florida is 23rd overall; Bama is 18th with the extra cupcake.

Is their offensive line play much better than the Gators this year? I haven't seen that so far this year, either. Both teams have given up 2 sacks. Both teams' line have their running backs averaging over 200 yards a game.

Red zone offense: 2 games Florida has scored 13 times in 14 attempts with 7 tds and 6 FGs; 3 games Bama has scored 16 times in 19 attempts with 12 TDs and 4 FGs.

Defensively, is Bama playing much better than the Gators? Both teams have shut outs against cupcakes, Gators gave up 30 in 3 ots to UK; Bama gave 23 in regulation to WV. With the extra cupcake scoring 12 pts, Bama is 10th in overall defense; the Gators are 15th with one less cupcake to pad the defensive stats.

Gators have 4 interceptions in 2 games; Bama has none in 3. Gators have recovered 4 fumbles in 2 games; Bama has 1 in 3 games.

Rush Defense: Bama is 20 yds a game better than the Gators with an extra cupcake game.

Pass Defense: with one less cupcake game, Gators are 17 yds a game better than Bama .

Red zone defense: Bama has given up a td and 5 FGs in 6 redzone attempts; Florida had given up no TDs and 2 FGs in 2 redzone attempts.

Bama's 3rd down conversion rate is slightly better than Florida; Bama's 3rd down defensive conversion rate is slightly better than Florida.

Bama's punt return defense is better statistically; Gators' punt return average is better statistically (with one less cupcake game).

Florida's kickoff return defense is better than Bama's; both teams are virtually statistically even in kickoff return yardage.

So tell me again: Why is this game penciled in as a loss?
So Spurrier with JD (any quarterback), you say you're playing Bama for the win. Interesting. So really, it's Muschamp that is causing the lack of optimism for you. I'm just the opposite. JD is the wild card against Bama for me. Hook him up with Spurrier or Meyer as is and I still think the fact that he has yet to step up in a big game atmosphere and handle the pressure bodes badly for a Gator win. His quotes about "not being worried" only make it worse, a sort of false bravado. When you have yet to go through the big game fire successfully, there is always doubt. On the other hand, if he does step up, the Gators will beat Bama.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I for one am expecting a gator blowout win, anything less and my couch shall be in flames in the middle of my neighborhood. Moral victories are like blue balls, so close yet so far.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Gator87 said:
The thing I hate is that Will Muschamp has turned this program into us hoping for moral victories instead of victories. We are now Vandy, Tennessee, or any of the other doormats in the SEC.
Kentucky D@mn it! We are Kentucky. :)

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I can honestly say that I won't be totally happy unless we win. I am not expecting a win, but I think we can. Anything less than a win and I begin my psychoanalysis!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Will ALMOST winning any game satisfy me? The answer is no. And none of you should be satisfied either. After taking some time to reflect, I think last week was actually a blessing in disguise. We're going to beat Bama this week. I just have a good feeling about it. I think we're going to see a re-focused, determined, physical football team on Saturday. It obviously won't be easy, but there is definitely a blueprint out there on how to beat that team. Oklahoma, Auburn, and A&M ( and nearly WVU) have all been able to exploit Bama's defense in recent years with uptempo spread offenses. I think we'll finally unleash ours against the Tide. Also, I'm not confident that any of Bama's QBs can single handedly beat us. But, we MUST get off of blocks and tackle especially when they try to run those quick screens with Cooper in the flats or we're going to be in for a long day. And since their passing game is predicated off of play-action passes, stopping the run is paramount. Our run D has looked solid so far, but we'll see how good we really are when we go up against the big boys. Call me a pumper if you want, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the kids play hard, the call playing is aggressive, and the score is within 10 points, I'll be satisfied. If Driskel plays like he did in the first half of the KY game and the O-line looks like it's usual "sieve" self then I"ll be very irritable. Oh, and I expect improvement in safety play. That's Muschamp's department after all.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just hope we get a participation trophy

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Just to ask a question such as this shows how Fooley and the Chump have lowered expectations. Alas....:deadhorse:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will be disappointed with a loss no matter what the point difference is. I hate it when UF loses.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
FTR I have the good guys (UF) winning 23 - 21 on a late field goal.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
If the kids play hard, the call playing is aggressive, and the score is within 10 points, I'll be satisfied. If Driskel plays like he did in the first half of the KY game and the O-line looks like it's usual "sieve" self then I"ll be very irritable. Oh, and I expect improvement in safety play. That's Muschamp's department after all.
You irritable... I can't see that ever happening at all.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake said:
Actually, I can't BELIEVE the premise of the question. Let's think about what is being asked for a moment. Our program has reached a level where we are being asked to consider how much of a loss is acceptable if we are 'competitive?' Well, I've managed to put my poo down that I usually have on hand to sling [funny Ox] but I reject the entire premise of the question, period. We SHOULDN'T even be here in this situation. THAT'S the problem. No. Hell no. A loss under any circumstance is unacceptable. The fact these types of expectations are being used as a parameter for the question is unacceptable. Our program based on money, the position for recruiting we are in, the available resources that should keep us competitive are a critical component for why we should be of concern to the mighty Saban under any circumstances. We lose it's just another reason this clown that runs the program has to go. That past due date expired last year and now the mold culture it's growing is going to start having an adverse affect on recruiting and brand name that's already in a free fall.
Great post PD. Equally great comment Ox

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some pretty funny replies in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.