Will a close loss to Alabama satisfy you?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n53223 said:
That's silly. This Bammer team is pitiful in pass defense. aTm will throw for 600 yards and pound them (assuming no QB injury). They have less talent than us. Spurrier regularly destroyed the SEC while using guys that no one else recruited and even two walkons starting at QB.

It's really time to stop making excuses for the Head Dawg. He owns it at this point. If he can't compete, it's on him.

Who were these two walkons that started and completed the SEC schedule while destroying the competition? I remember Brindise coming in and playing well for a game or two as the main quarterback, but I would say he destroyed the SEC. Spurrier's rosters were loaded with talent that most schools wanted, lets stop pretending he had a roster full of cast offs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zambo;n53136 said:
You're right, a 6-5 or 7-4 record is not acceptable and I didn't mean to imply that. Probably a better way to say it is I'd like to see an improvement in our coaching and the overall product on the field. It would be nice to switch from underachieving to normal achievement with the possibility of even over achieving on the radar somewhere. I'll never be happy with that kind of W-L record, ever. We have too much talent on our team and too much talent to recruit from to be satisfied with that.

Regardless, I don't care if the lord almighty was coaching this team right now, nobody is taking this squad into AL expecting to win. They are just too deep and too well coached and too experienced at winning to have that kind of swagger. I'll settle for a chance of winning at this point and I think we do have a chance. Is anyone seriously thinking we are going undefeated this year? If so, out yourself. If not, this is certainly one of the games that is in major doubt. Playing this game on the road and looking like a disciplined football team that is on the road to bigger and better things would be a massive improvement from last year's abortion. Call it a moral victory if y'all want but playing a hard fought game in this environment and not embarrassing ourselves is still a positive stepping stone from where we were on the way to where we need to be.

Yeah, I think we're basically on the same page. I think there's a delicate balance of tempering expectations and not excusing those that made those expectations what they are in the first place. As I said, I will not be ashamed of a closer, hard fought loss because all of our best teams lost a game somewhere. But the idea of not being competitive is nauseating, as is the idea of penciling in any game as a loss months in advance. And I don't think there is any real excuse for that.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No moral victories, but I'm expecting a loss. Will probably make it easier to deal with a loss, but I hate watching us lose regardless. Go Gators, Beat Bama!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
URGatorBait;n53227 said:
Just for the sake of clarity, you are saying Alabama has less talent than UF, right now?

Just for sake of clarity, I'm saying that Mushchimp owns it.

It's Creyer's Fault expired two years ago.
@ Gatoravatara...I'm really not sure why Urban is even a part of the discussion. I certainly made no mention of him. I thought I asked a pretty straight forward question, but apparently Law saw some deeper meaning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait said:
Law98gator;n53223 said:
That's silly. This Bammer team is pitiful in pass defense. aTm will throw for 600 yards and pound them (assuming no QB injury). They have less talent than us. Spurrier regularly destroyed the SEC while using guys that no one else recruited and even two walkons starting at QB.

It's really time to stop making excuses for the Head Dawg. He owns it at this point. If he can't compete, it's on him.

Just for the sake of clarity, you are saying Alabama has less talent than UF, right now?
They refers to aTm.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n53254 said:
Yeah, I think we're basically on the same page. I think there's a delicate balance of tempering expectations and not excusing those that made those expectations what they are in the first place. As I said, I will not be ashamed of a closer, hard fought loss because all of our best teams lost a game somewhere. But the idea of not being competitive is nauseating, as is the idea of penciling in any game as a loss months in advance. And I don't think there is any real excuse for that.
I think if we can compete well with Bama this weekend, even if we lose, we don't pencil in any more losses for a while. It will be a mighty test. I think we can win, but even if we merely look like a good team out there I won't be "penciling in" any losses on the rest of the schedule.

Hell, with this new playoff thingy a close loss might even get us in there if we happen to run the rest of the table.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait said:
Law98gator;n53223 said:

Fair enough, and makes more sense, which is why I asked the question.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You think this team is a playoff team, Zambo?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zambo;n53265 said:
I think if we can compete well with Bama this weekend, even if we lose, we don't pencil in any more losses for a while. It will be a mighty test. I think we can win, but even if we merely look like a good team out there I won't be "penciling in" any losses on the rest of the schedule.

Hell, with this new playoff thingy a close loss might even get us in there if we happen to run the rest of the table.

I think Missouri and uga could be as tough a game as Alabama, simply because of the matchups. I agree that we have the ability to win if we play well and have a solid gameplan. Kind of reminds me of Lsu '03 where our decline, combined with an afternoon kickoff, killed some of the usual rivalry buzz and we quietly walked out with an improbable win.

Ok, I may start drinking tonight.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
URGatorBait;n53227 said:

Just for sake of clarity, I'm saying that Mushchimp owns it.

It's Creyer's Fault expired two years ago.
Just because it's Muschamp's 4th year, doesn't change the question. It appeared he was saying that Bama had less talent, I was simply asking if that was his stance, because of the way the sentence was structured.
He later clarified and said he was talking about Texas A&M.
Sometimes I think people are really digging too deep into other peoples comments sometimes.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
You think this team is a playoff team, Zambo?
Your bait ain't nearly shiny enough counselor.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Actually, I can't BELIEVE the premise of the question. Let's think about what is being asked for a moment. Our program has reached a level where we are being asked to consider how much of a loss is acceptable if we are 'competitive?' Well, I've managed to put my poo down that I usually have on hand to sling [funny Ox] but I reject the entire premise of the question, period. We SHOULDN'T even be here in this situation. THAT'S the problem. No. Hell no. A loss under any circumstance is unacceptable. The fact these types of expectations are being used as a parameter for the question is unacceptable. Our program based on money, the position for recruiting we are in, the available resources that should keep us competitive are a critical component for why we should be of concern to the mighty Saban under any circumstances. We lose it's just another reason this clown that runs the program has to go. That past due date expired last year and now the mold culture it's growing is going to start having an adverse affect on recruiting and brand name that's already in a free fall.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:
Zambo;n53265 said:

I think Missouri and uga could be as tough a game as Alabama, simply because of the matchups. I agree that we have the ability to win if we play well and have a solid gameplan. Kind of reminds me of Lsu '03 where our decline, combined with an afternoon kickoff, killed some of the usual rivalry buzz and we quietly walked out with an improbable win.

I'm drunk right now.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Even when we sucked worse than we did last year I would go into every game thinking we could win and I still do. I'm sure many people feel that way. Whether playing sports myself or cheering for a team, I'm never ever satisfied with losing. That said, over time, I've been able to put losing in a little more perspective to the point that it doesn't ruin me for weeks at a time like it used to.

So no, I would never be satisfied with losing to Bama.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:
Zambo;n53265 said:

Be honest, you're in the cockpit aren't you?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Law98gator;n53223 said:

Who were these two walkons that started and completed the SEC schedule while destroying the competition? I remember Brindise coming in and playing well for a game or two as the main quarterback, but I would say he destroyed the SEC. Spurrier's rosters were loaded with talent that most schools wanted, lets stop pretending he had a roster full of cast offs.
Gatoravatara, those are two very different conversations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.