Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz commits to Gators

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Pretty distinct club you belong to, I see.

My “Mornenwhig” tattoo was tough to cover, but “Treon isn’t a Safety!” actually did the job nicely. The “Del Rio” one was a little trickier.
Just between you and me...I wouldn't want this to get out, but I also had confidence in Driskel for a little while anyway.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I’d feel much better about ‘23 if we landed a Pratt, McCall or Hartman. I think the Mertz signing will mean Rashada is on the field next year, which isn’t ideal since he needs to pack on some substantial weight between now and next fall.

Maybe Rashada is the answer though which would be best case :dunno:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just between you and me...I wouldn't want this to get out, but I also had confidence in Driskel for a little while anyway.

I had some hope that he’d be ok after he came in against Ala when Brantley got hurt. I think it was second down(maybe third, don’t quote me) where I was officially off the wagon.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Pretty distinct club you belong to, I see.

My “Mornenwhig” tattoo was tough to cover, but “Treon isn’t a Safety!” actually did the job nicely. The “Del Rio” one was a little trickier.
Mertz is a caliber of qb similar to treon harris, skyler morningwood, Austin applebee, jack Miller, Emory Jones, etc.
He is a terrible qb and take. There is no excuse for it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I’d feel much better about ‘23 if we landed a Pratt, McCall or Hartman. I think the Mertz signing will mean Rashada is on the field next year, which isn’t ideal since he needs to pack on some substantial weight between now and next fall.

We've started freshman QBs before.

He just needs to pack on some baby fat. He can put on muscle in 24.

Start him.

Get him (and the others) a FT QB coach.

Next year isn't going to be all that great anyway. Get him the experience. (assuming the Oline can protect)

The two behind Rashada look like emergency back ups only.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well Driskel somehow someway is still playing in the NFL 10 years later so...

That’s a combination of size, arm strength, and not going too high in the draft. If you get picked up in the third or later, they expect you to just be a back up who may progress into a starting role. He’s done a great job of handling that and has set himself up for life in the process. The whole “bust” thing only applies if you’ve been drafted in the first round. Those guys seem to be judged much more harshly and often get pushed out.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
That’s a combination of size, arm strength, and not going too high in the draft. If you get picked up in the third or later, they expect you to just be a back up who may progress into a starting role. He’s done a great job of handling that and has set himself up for life in the process. The whole “bust” thing only applies if you’ve been drafted in the first round. Those guys seem to be judged much more harshly and often get pushed out.

Oh yes trust me...as a Jags fan, I know all about 1st round busts

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I heard on a podcast today that McCall is an academic issue. Just like it was at Auburn. There are no specifics, but it looks like they were having issues getting approved to get him in.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The word is McCall has been taking GARBAGE classes that won't transfer. AUB and UF would not qualify him. For AUB not to qualify someone is saying something. BUT this is ALL rumor.

He's a perfect fit with a 70% completion percentage and a quick release.
Terrible QB luck continues

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They were scratching their heads on the chuck Oliver show today. Didn't know why we'd take him

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I heard on a podcast today that McCall is an academic issue. Just like it was at Auburn. There are no specifics, but it looks like they were having issues getting approved to get
But why not go after sanders, card , leary or the Virginia qb. There's a few other options. Considering what's out there, this appears to be the worst take I've seen. But maybe they want to try to leave the door open for mcall after the spring or something? Taking mertz isn't gonna scare anybody off.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
McCall has a junk major. Nothing transfers.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I heard on a podcast today that McCall is an academic issue. Just like it was at Auburn. There are no specifics, but it looks like they were having issues getting approved to get him in.
Can’t special exceptions be made for talented QB’s? What kind of football program are we running here?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
But why not go after sanders, card , leary or the Virginia qb. There's a few other options. Considering what's out there, this appears to be the worst take I've seen. But maybe they want to try to leave the door open for mcall after the spring or something? Taking mertz isn't gonna scare anybody off.
There was a rumor that there would be another QB announce after his bowl. Not sure who that would be. Would not be surprised if we added one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.