Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz commits to Gators

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Napier could take a dump on the 50 yd line, set it on fire, then roll around in it and nola would find a way to spin it as a master plan.
Durty would complain and dream of what he thinks should be instead of trying to adapt and overcome.

Napier is here for 1 -2 more years at a minimum. Deal with it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Napier said he's not finished.
Would sure love to see McCall wind up here. Hopefully the rumor going that the QB is waiting til his bowl game is over is correct, we land.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Would sure love to see McCall wind up here. Hopefully the rumor going that the QB is waiting til his bowl game is over is correct, we land.
I thought it was reported that we are done taking QBs now, except for picking up a walk on.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Every single post hating on Mertz makes me like the guy a little bit more.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That most of the posters on here are cheerleaders and not actual fans.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He’s from St Augustine..: WK can afford a bigger NIL deal than Florida?

No, of course not. Louisville could match or beat as well. What I’m saying is there are times when players are just comfortable with where they’re at and with the addition of NIL, it’s enough to keep them there.

After giving this some thought, I think there are a few contributing factors to why we struggled to land a top portal QB the cycle. The first factor is one we’ve looked at, but from the other side. The Pearsal decision about whether to return or go to the NFL based on who we bring in at QB has been watched closely for a reason, but is also a two way street. Behind him we have a few unproven veterans, and a lot of youth. The point is, that same concern could be present with an inbound quarterback. You’ll have more talented WRs here, but they may be young and lack the chemistry you already have where you’re at.

The other factors are somewhat intertwined. Without having Rashada, yes our quarterback room looks very appealing. The problem is we do have Rashada, a 5*, and he’ll be here in a few weeks, which gives him all off-season conditioning spring practice and fall camp. It’s not common for true freshman to grab a starting role, but it’s also not unheard of. And in addition, where I think the bowl game did hurt us is that it showed in this offense we need a QB that can move if need be. Again, looking at what Rashada can do, may be enough for a quarterback to feel he could be leaving a starting position to perhaps not start, at least not start all season long.

I didn’t/don’t really want Mertz, but have also been clear that JR needs to be getting serious reps next year anyway. If he were starting by ut that would be fine with me.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No, of course not. Louisville could match or beat as well. What I’m saying is there are times when players are just comfortable with where they’re at and with the addition of NIL, it’s enough to keep them there.

After giving this some thought, I think there are a few contributing factors to why we struggled to land a top portal QB the cycle. The first factor is one we’ve looked at, but from the other side. The Pearsal decision about whether to return or go to the NFL based on who we bring in at QB has been watched closely for a reason, but is also a two way street. Behind him we have a few unproven veterans, and a lot of youth. The point is, that same concern could be present with an inbound quarterback. You’ll have more talented WRs here, but they may be young and lack the chemistry you already have where you’re at.

The other factors are somewhat intertwined. Without having Rashada, yes our quarterback room looks very appealing. The problem is we do have Rashada, a 5*, and he’ll be here in a few weeks, which gives him all off-season conditioning spring practice and fall camp. It’s not common for true freshman to grab a starting role, but it’s also not unheard of. And in addition, where I think the bowl game did hurt us is that it showed in this offense we need a QB that can move if need be. Again, looking at what Rashada can do, may be enough for a quarterback to feel he could be leaving a starting position to perhaps not start, at least not start all season long.

I didn’t/don’t really want Mertz, but have also been clear that JR needs to be getting serious reps next year anyway. If he were starting by ut that would be fine with me.
I don't think any of us are expecting championships next year. I hope Rashada plays a LOT, so he hits the ground running in 2024.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The word is McCall has been taking GARBAGE classes that won't transfer. AUB and UF would not qualify him. For AUB not to qualify someone is saying something. BUT this is ALL rumor.

He's a perfect fit with a 70% completion percentage and a quick release.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Every single post hating on Mertz makes me like the guy a little bit more.
Not saying it's a similar case, because I'm very doubtful, but we still have some posters on this board with sigs quoting folks saying Trask would never play a meaningful down for UF. Would be hilarious to see similar sigs in a few years regarding Mertz. Again, not saying I think it'll be the case, but it would be funny.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Not saying it's a similar case, because I'm very doubtful, but we still have some posters on this board with sigs quoting folks saying Trask would never play a meaningful down for UF. Would be hilarious to see similar sigs in a few years regarding Mertz. Again, not saying I think it'll be the case, but it would be funny.

Miller is not terrible, he's played very little and was hurt. The OL did him no favors and our WRs were not top shelf.

Franks was supposed to all that and Kerwin was a walk-on so we never really know. It's a NUMBERS game. We shall see

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not that it matters, but the last QB I had confidence in was Trask. Before him it was Grier. Before him it was Tebow.

Pretty distinct club you belong to, I see.

My “Mornenwhig” tattoo was tough to cover, but “Treon isn’t a Safety!” actually did the job nicely. The “Del Rio” one was a little trickier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator