Your Top 3 Realistic Picks to Replace Butters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, that made me laugh, I must admit. I consider him the WORST head coach in College football in my lifetime. His rant after another Mich St. loss was epic. Thank you for the chuckle.
You know that is Butterteef's real mentor, right? He spent 3 years w Saban and about 20 with John L Smith.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You know that is Butterteef's real mentor, right? He spent 3 years w Saban and about 20 with John L Smith.

Oh I am aware that Butters learned at the AZZ of Smith. It is quite apparent when you see his teams lack of fundamental knowledge on a weekly basis.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
There are no P5 coaches out there that are proven and looking to move. Get over the "we will throw truck loads of money" idea. Even if we wanted to, all P5 programs have truck loads and you are not going to move one of those, especially if they are successful at their current program. So the pool becomes the pool of unknowns (mid-level programs with "exciting" coaches) and the pool of unemployed coaches. Really the best of those two groups is Chip, but he is eliminated by his show-cause baggage. Now we are left with the unknowns which becomes circular logic since many are clamoring that we need a proven slam dunk coach. My point is there are none out there....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are no P5 coaches out there that are proven and looking to move. Get over the "we will throw truck loads of money" idea.
It is true.

Only Meatchikin and Trailerbammer can hire great coaches. It is actually against the rules for any other team to do it.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It is true.

Only Meatchikin and Trailerbammer can hire great coaches. It is actually against the rules for any other team to do it.
The only exception to the rule is if you have alumni card to a program. See Meatchikin. So what Gator alums are proven coaches?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Really the best of those two groups is Chip, but he is eliminated by his show-cause baggage.
When are we going to stop perpetuating this myth? The show-cause was for 18 months, which has long passed. There's nothing stopping anyone from going after Chip. He's the guy.

1. Chip Kelly
2. Chip Kelly
3. Chip Kelly

He may have no interest in the college pressure cooker again, but what the hell is the harm in trying? Drive a dump truck full of money up to his door. Buy him a freaking house, like Bama did with Saban. Offer him any assistants he wants. Whatever it takes.
Kelly, now with the Philadelphia Eagles, did however receive an 18-month show-cause penalty, meaning any university that hires him will have to present its justification to the NCAA Committee of Infractions before doing so. Unless Kelly bombs after just one season with the Eagles and he seeks an entry back into the college game, this won't be an issue.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only exception to the rule is if you have alumni card to a program. See Meatchikin. So what Gator alums are proven coaches?
Saban was an alum from Trailerbammer?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
WTF is wrong with you?

The Richt mentions crack me up. Most on this board would give up on him pretty quickly after several years of top 5 recruiting classes, repeated scandals and no championships his last 10 years. Now he’s doing a decent job at his scUMmy alma mater, but what makes anyone think he’s going to come to UF or win the SEC in the twilight of his career?

And SOS? He’s almost 20 years past his last big success. Name one great QB from SC under his tenure. Their all-time winningest coach, but no championships.

I like Frost - he’s doing a remarkable job at UCF and has a solid resume. But I don’t see anyone out there who is as obvious as Meyer or Spurrier were when UF hired them. And there isn’t a reliable formula. Success at a lower level, elite coordinator, retread from another program - we can easily find 5 failures for every example of success in a category.

How many of us took Dabo seriously his first few years? He was their WR coach and got elevated after his boss was fired. Talk about a reach that paid off. Imagine Zach Azzani as our HC.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Justin Fuente a lot, and could see him winning big here leading the gators to championship seasons. I have no clue his contract status, or if he would be willing to take the job. I believe under the right circumstances he would, but I can't see that happening until 2019 at the earliest given how much money we have tied up with Mcelwain, and are still paying that bum in Columbia through this year I believe. I'm not a big fan of going after older guys in their late 50's or early 60's to be HBC. Even if it works out you'll be looking for a replacement in the next 10 years. Fuente played at OU, and seeing how they have their guy for the next several decades we have as good an opportunity as anyone in college ball to convince him to be the next gator HBC. Frost would probably be my fall back option, but Fuente is the guy.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
When are we going to stop perpetuating this myth? The show-cause was for 18 months, which has long passed. There's nothing stopping anyone from going after Chip. He's the guy.

1. Chip Kelly
2. Chip Kelly
3. Chip Kelly

He may have no interest in the college pressure cooker again, but what the hell is the harm in trying? Drive a dump truck full of money up to his door. Buy him a freaking house, like Bama did with Saban. Offer him any assistants he wants. Whatever it takes.
Yes, his show cause has expired but the fact that he had one eliminates him from the program. UF still has a bit of a morals hang-up with coaches from the Hall era. Also why Petrino will never be an option.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I have been impressed with some of the things Dave Doeren is doing at NC State....like beating two ranked teams already this year in FSU and Louisville. Last year they should have beaten Clemson (missed a chip shot FG at the buzzer and lost in OT) and FSU (dropped an easy INT in the end zone in the last minute and FSU then scored to win). It has taken time to rebuild there as they were really bad when he arrived and they have slowly gotten better.

He appears to be a solid coach who is building a program at a school without many advantages compared to others in the conference. He is also the type of coach who many would summarily dismiss because he's not flashy, etc. That said, I have been impressed with how his team has played against "better" teams and how he handles himself with the media.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, his show cause has expired but the fact that he had one eliminates him from the program. UF still has a bit of a morals hang-up with coaches from the Hall era. Also why Petrino will never be an option.
If that's true, then the UF brass is idiotic. ALL of these coaches cheat, every damn one of them, including Butters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think banging an intern is nearly as bad as paying players.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There are no P5 coaches out there that are proven and looking to move. Get over the "we will throw truck loads of money" idea. Even if we wanted to, all P5 programs have truck loads and you are not going to move one of those, especially if they are successful at their current program. So the pool becomes the pool of unknowns (mid-level programs with "exciting" coaches) and the pool of unemployed coaches. Really the best of those two groups is Chip, but he is eliminated by his show-cause baggage. Now we are left with the unknowns which becomes circular logic since many are clamoring that we need a proven slam dunk coach. My point is there are none out there....
All P5 schools do not have truckloads of money. In fact most don't. Mike Gundy's name came up twice today on national radio as someone ripe for a move after 12 seasons at OK St. He just signed a 5 year contract but his buyout is only $3M. And he makes $4.2M a year. The right school throws $6M+ at him and he's gettable.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
All P5 schools do not have truckloads of money. In fact most don't. Mike Gundy's name came up twice today on national radio as someone ripe for a move after 12 seasons at OK St. He just signed a 5 year contract but his buyout is only $3M. And he makes $4.2M a year. The right school throws $6M+ at him and he's gettable.
And you consider Gundy successful? A 10+ year track record and nothing to show for it? I am implying coaches that have been successful in P5 programs as in winning championships. You really want to throw 6M+ at him? You think there is a reason why his buyout is so low? If you are going to "back the truck up" it damn well better be for someone you're just about certain will succeed. And youre are exactly right, the pool is very small, which gets back to my point that there are no current P5 coaches that you can point to and say 1. That guy has shown he can win championships and compete every year (Meyer, Saban, Dabo, Jimbo) and 2. We can throw a crap ton of money at and he will come.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A search is a search isn't it? Why not inspect HCs from the Canadian League. With that average salary between $300K and $500K we could be positive on getting that HC. He's bound to be innovative. Anyway, I think it would be good training for our search committee - they need extra training from what I've seen.

Our search-committee needs a manual outlining the essence of Vince Lombardi.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

He is only attainable at that price if T-Bag Pickens says go ahead. If T-Bag wants Gundy to stay he will stay. You are not going to outbid OKSt. for Mullet if T-Bag says no..

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And you consider Gundy successful? A 10+ year track record and nothing to show for it? I am implying coaches that have been successful in P5 programs as in winning championships. You really want to throw 6M+ at him? You think there is a reason why his buyout is so low? If you are going to "back the truck up" it damn well better be for someone you're just about certain will succeed. And youre are exactly right, the pool is very small, which gets back to my point that there are no current P5 coaches that you can point to and say 1. That guy has shown he can win championships and compete every year (Meyer, Saban, Dabo, Jimbo) and 2. We can throw a crap ton of money at and he will come.

Yes I consider him successfully. Gundy is at the 2nd rate school in his state and at best the 3rd rate school in his conference. Which makes him a perfect target in a coach ready to make the final step up. He has won consistently and has a 108-51 record which you'll be hard pressed to find a match for amongst coaches not named Saban/Meyer.
What could he do at UF with fertile recruiting? At worst he might be Richt. But we won't be looking back 4 years later wondering what we were dong hiring another unproven "diamond in the rough".

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It is true.

Beating McEl-taint twice doesn't make you a great coach. When Harbaugh wins more often than once every 5 games against his 2 biggest rivals let me know, and we can revisit the idea of his greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.