Recruiting 5* QB Jarrett Stidham flips Gators the bird, commits to Auburn

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We will have an experienced O-Line, RBs, WRs and TEs. All we need is someone to get them the ball.
Dude, our OL and receivers are terrible.

Just a reality check for you

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This guy is a stud with plenty of eligibility. I don't care if Franks and Trask are progressing well or not. There is no reason that we should not go after Stidham. I don't think he's coming here, but I don't blame Mac for trying.

Stidham has really strong passing stats for the few games he's played (out due to injury). However, those
stats were jacked up against overmatched teams in a conference in which pass defense is non-existent.
I'd be glad to have him here competing, but will his skill transfer to SEC play? IDK? Let's get him here to
compete.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Franks/Trask may both be able to play and either would likely be an upgrade. Mac seems scared to play either.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
this article should scare people. If mac isn't sold on the two freshman he's had for close to a year now, something is terribly wrong.
Um, no. First of all, they are Freshmen! Are they supposed to be above-average college QBs already? Do you think the ideal situation is starting a RS Freshman? Second, our coaching staff SHOULD be constantly searching for talent to bring in. We're still thin at QB. We brought in 2 last year and have a highly rated guy coming in next year. You think we should stop and go with whatever we've got? Heck no! Let's set up as much competition as we can! Silly thing to complain about.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Um, no. First of all, they are Freshmen! Are they supposed to be above-average college QBs already? Do you think the ideal situation is starting a RS Freshman? Second, our coaching staff SHOULD be constantly searching for talent to bring in. We're still thin at QB. We brought in 2 last year and have a highly rated guy coming in next year. You think we should stop and go with whatever we've got? Heck no! Let's set up as much competition as we can! Silly thing to complain about.

Uh...

I guess you forgot about the last two RS Freshman who won a Heisman plus all the RS Freshman tearing it up this year. This isn't 1970. Freshman can play and many play well.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
According to Rivals he was a 4 star... isn't that the source of choice?
giphy.gif

:lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
@SECCountryUF: Report: Florida coaching staff has been in contact with former 5-star QB Jarrett Stidham http://sec.news/2gvwXVf #GatorNation

What I don't get is where this "5-star" stuff comes from? This star stuff as to do with guys who have never played college football. Stidham is:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/3892775/jarrett-stidham

a guy who was 75 for 109, 1265 yards, 12 TDs and 2 picks for a 1999 rating at Baylor. That is much more meaningful and informative that "5-star" which is only a signal of potential for a guy who has NOT played college football

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
While we're on the stidham subject. If in some rare scenario he chooses Florida. That would at least give me a little hope next year. Not necessarily long term hope but some but some optimism .

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Auburn already has their people paying him off probably.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
We will have an experienced O-Line, RBs, WRs and TEs. All we need is someone to get them the ball. You would think that QBs would be crawling over each other to get here.
^ This!!!! I think this should be a good selling point to get a "transfer" like this kid or the kid from Bama.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Uh...

I guess you forgot about the last two RS Freshman who won a Heisman plus all the RS Freshman tearing it up this year. This isn't 1970. Freshman can play and many play well.
I didn't forget, but I hear you. Some Freshmen play well or are stars, do doubt about it. I don't think that's typical, though. I haven't gone back and looked it up, but when FSU was so good in the 90's, I think they had a string of QBs who didn't start until they were Juniors.

I just think it's silly to criticize a coach b/c he hasn't played true Freshmen QBs. Can't expect Mac to make the boom/bust decisions on Freshmen, and I don't think we'd want him to.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't forget, but I hear you. Some Freshmen play well or are stars, do doubt about it. I don't think that's typical, though. I haven't gone back and looked it up, but when FSU was so good in the 90's, I think they had a string of QBs who didn't start until they were Juniors.

I just think it's silly to criticize a coach b/c he hasn't played true Freshmen QBs. Can't expect Mac to make the boom/bust decisions on Freshmen, and I don't think we'd want him to.

It is a different world today than in the 90s. Highschools are running offenses that are more complex and kids have more coaching and camps than ever to help them get prepared. That is why you see freshman playing at a high level all over the country. Unless Franks is horrible, it makes no sense that Mac has not played him at this point. Appleby and Del Rio aren't going to be the answer. Get the young kid some experience!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is a different world today than in the 90s. Highschools are running offenses that are less complex
FIFY. Most run single read and have the same thing for their running game or run pass option.

It's hard to find a quarterback because coaches are just putting their biggest athlete at Qb and running him 30 times.

You really think current kids could even run SOS plays? They required each kid (Wrs too not just the QB) to read the coverages and their routes changed depending on zone vs man, numbers of safeties high, even the way the DBs line up on each man. Everyone had to be on the same page.

Kids today just read a DE and keep or give based off that. It's a glorified middle school offense.

It isn't even close to being as complicated.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
It is a different world today than in the 90s. Highschools are running offenses that are more complex and kids have more coaching and camps than ever to help them get prepared. That is why you see freshman playing at a high level all over the country. Unless Franks is horrible, it makes no sense that Mac has not played him at this point. Appleby and Del Rio aren't going to be the answer. Get the young kid some experience!
Throw to the open guy. Block the guy wearing a different jersey... should be that simple.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
FIFY. Most run single read and have the same thing for their running game or run pass option.

It's hard to find a quarterback because coaches are just putting their biggest athlete at Qb and running him 30 times.

You really think current kids could even run SOS plays? They required each kid (Wrs too not just the QB) to read the coverages and their routes changed depending on zone vs man, numbers of safeties high, even the way the DBs line up on each man. Everyone had to be on the same page.

Kids today just read a DE and keep or give based off that. It's a glorified middle school offense.

That's mostly true. Still see a lot of Wing T too on the smaller level. The good schools are running spread or ace back spread with quick hitters and sluggo, wheel and gator routes.

The 7 on 7s are really helping Qbs now days see the patterns develop more clearly

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I meant more complex now that in the 90s. Should have been more specific

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
There's some chatter and it looks like Stidham will be in Gainesville next weekend on a visit. Hopefully we roll out the red carpet and have the females ready ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.