Recruiting 5* QB Jarrett Stidham flips Gators the bird, commits to Auburn

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It is a different world today than in the 90s. Highschools are running offenses that are more complex and kids have more coaching and camps than ever to help them get prepared. That is why you see freshman playing at a high level all over the country. Unless Franks is horrible, it makes no sense that Mac has not played him at this point. Appleby and Del Rio aren't going to be the answer. Get the young kid some experience!

Pretty well known that Franks got very little coaching in HS. Nobody expected him to be ready this year. The fact that he's ahead of Trask at this point says volumes about Trask.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I meant more complex now that in the 90s. Should have been more specific
They aren't. Not even close. Take a look at an SOS playbook. Each play has a few dozen options based on what the D does. And the SOS offense was considered simple.

These modern offenses are two reads max, for the ADD generation. Or just a few plays run from a bunch of formations (Boise).

It's rare to find a top QB that knows anything about reading defenses or real progressions out of HS, but I agree that the word was Franks was poorly coached and in an exceptionally simple system in HS.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
No more transfers at QB, go with one of the Sophomore next year. Should have gone with one this year Appleby & LDR are awful and limit us on offense. LDR can't throw the ball past 45 yards and Appleby cant make quick decisions.
they are dogs
I think Law nailed it. If the staff is trying to get this kid one can only imagine that they are not sold on FF and Trask.
yes, but they haven't shown to be great evaluators of QB talent, so that doesn't say much.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
They aren't. Not even close. Take a look at an SOS playbook. Each play has a few dozen options based on what the D does. And the SOS offense was considered simple.

These modern offenses are two reads max, for the ADD generation. Or just a few plays run from a bunch of formations (Boise).

It's rare to find a top QB that knows anything about reading defenses or real progressions out of HS, but I agree that the word was Franks was poorly coached and in an exceptionally simple system in HS.
I played QB in HS, back in the stone age as Aaron puts it, I never read a defense in my life but I did call my own plays. What gets me is why these QBs -- even the pros -- can't call their own plays with a few exceptions. And even more mind boggling ridiculous is catchers, along with the pitcher, not calling the game. Looking at the bench for the pitch.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like he's gonn be the first guy we visit on sunday.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like he's gonn be the first guy we visit on sunday.

That's good. My only issue with this is if we get him, that will be five underclassmen at QB. That's a lot.

I don't think we even have that many linebackers on the team. And that's for three different positions.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's good. My only issue with this is if we get him, that will be five underclassmen at QB. That's a lot.

I don't think we even have that many linebackers on the team. And that's for three different positions.
I wouldn't care if we had too many QB's if we got stidham. That kid is a baller.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't care if we had too many QB's if we got stidham. That kid is a baller.

He's definitely better than anybody else we have. We are just going to have to jettison somebody if we do that. The question is, "who"?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From what Ive gathered from rumors around the message boards is TAMU may be the favorite but they're slow playing him because there's a hs qb they want more and it may come down to florida and auburn.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's definitely better than anybody else we have. We are just going to have to jettison somebody if we do that. The question is, "who"?
LDR could go back to walk on status if need be? Either way , Stidham should be top priority.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Pretty well known that Franks got very little coaching in HS. Nobody expected him to be ready this year. The fact that he's ahead of Trask at this point says volumes about Trask.

That could equally say volumes about Franks being able to learn now that someone is teaching him.

That could equally say volumes about Macc being able to teach once he got a kid that can learn.

Just sayin.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Absolutely true. Wakulla is backwoods and Klees runs a very simple O.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LDR, this is not a question

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You think? Mac has loved him some LDR since he showed up on campus.
Considering he really isn't hurt and doesn't appear on the depth chart for tomorrow's game, sure why not ;)

He might like LDR the kid, but LDR is a known commodity now. Kid won't and shouldn't play a single snap at QB next season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Considering he really isn't hurt and doesn't appear on the depth chart for tomorrow's game, sure why not ;)

He might like LDR the kid, but LDR is a known commodity now. Kid won't and shouldn't play a single snap at QB next season.

I'd be really surprised if he's not starting the season next year (assuming they don't bring in this kid).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why? Because people say it here?

Nope. Because he's always played him except when he's been too hurt to play. Regardless of production.

Hell he let a much better one go for him.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Because he's always played him except when he's been too hurt to play. Regardless of production.

Hell he let a much better one go for him.
He has? He's not really hurt now, and not even on the depth chart. Even if he was a little banged up, you'd think he'd be on the depth chart so you aren't using up a redshirt at the end of the season, if Appleby got hurt. I just don't buy that he's really hurt.
And if Mac was so in love with him as you suggest, we wouldn't be going after any transfers at QB at all, a transfer would make a 5th QB.

He also didn't let Grier go. Grier wanted his hand held. Sorry, the least Grier could have done was earn his spot back, and looking at the other talent, there was nothing to be afraid of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.